How quickly do MCAT seats fill up?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yjj8817

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So MCAT 2013 dates are out and I am thinking about taking it in May 2013. Do the seats fill up really quickly? The registration opens up sometime this month. Should I register as soon as the registration opens? or can I think about it a little bit and take my time?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Don't even worry about it. Just sign up a few months in advance (around Dec/Jan). Even if you don't get your spot, people tend to get cold feet and drop out a few weeks before so you can get a good seat if you check diligently.

But, like I said, don't worry about it.

I would say put your reservation in ASAP, even if it's in May, to be safe.

But the reality is that you can probably find seats all the way up until a month before the test. Even if a certain date is full, people drop their test or change their dates pretty frequently. If a date you want is all taken, just refresh the site every day and something will probably open up eventually. n=1, I signed up for a May test date in early April.

Members don't see this ad :)
It depends on your location a bit, but general rule is to get signed up sooner rather than later.

It's heavily location and time dependent. In my area seats were all filled up for the spring administrations, but every summer and fall test had seats open up until the last day of registration. If you live in an urban area with a lot of colleges/universities, however, it may very well be the case that every administration fills up months beforehand.

It's always best to sign up for a date as soon as you know which date you want to take. Keep in mind that you can always reschedule, although it does cost you.

I'm from Boston, wanted to take the test a certain day, procrastinated, and when I tried to register, the closest test site on that day was 8am in NY. I'd say, once you know you which day you want, just register so you can get an optimal time/place, and you have a set date to put a little fire under your ass to hit the books. You can always cancel if a monthish before the exam, you don't think you'll be ready.

Good to know. thanks everyone!