How Should I Proceed and what are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The Jabbrwocky

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought about posting this in the "post baccalaureate programs" area, but realized this was more for this section. As I am looking for advice and asking what my chances are as well :).

Goal:

Going to Medical School is something that I recently in the past two years have decided on doing. As with many students on here I am now trying to do the best with what I have already completed, and trying to focus on the best path to get into a MD program. I prefer a M.D spot, however would gladly take a D.O spot If a M.D spot is not obtainable. By obtainable I mean, with only needing no more then 2 more years of premedical courses.

What I currently have:

I have a Associates of Science in Nuclear Medicine, and am currently certified by the Board of Nuclear Medicine and licensed by the state (Florida) to practice. After Graduating with my Associates, I decided I wanted to go back to school for more, so the very next month I enrolled for my Bachelors degree in Health Science. When I enrolled for my bachelors, I still didn't have med school in mind, I just wanted to continue my education at the time. About halfway through my bachelors I decided that I wanted to be a physician. I will have my Bachelors of Health Sciences in April of this year. So time is ticking, and I need to get on the right track fast.

My concerns:

I will have my bachelors in 3 months however I do not have all the med school pre reqs. I will need the fallowing still 2 semesters of Physics, Biology, Chemistry,and Organic Chemistry.

My Grades:

My associates GPA is 2.99
Undergrad GPA is 3.62
cGPA 3.25
SGPA is still in the air, im not sure what exactly is counted towards this, if its just basic science core classes like bio,math etc, then my sgpa is pushin -4.0 if it includes other classes like radiopharmacy, or nuclear physics etc etc then it will be little lower.

I am also not taking my MCAT just yet. Not till after most my pre reqs

I still have 3 classes left in my bachelors of health science, which I'm sure I can manage to get all A's in. Bringing my cGPA to ~3.31 and Undergrad GPA to ~3.67.

I have never failed a class, or withdrew from one. I have 4 Cs on my transcripts in total, all of which are from my associates degree, the rest are As and Bs, with them being more-so As as you get towards the end. As I said earlier, going to medschool wasnt on my mind up until halfway through my bachelors. My grades reflect this. As last semester I had a 4.0 and this one should be a 4.0 as well.

My Question(s):

With what I have already, what path should I choose for my prerequisites? What would be a reasonable path to take, preferably the most sound! Should I just take Individual classes to fulfill them? Or should I try and get into a post bach program or even take another bachelors degree all together. I know the community college here offers those pre med courses on a course by course basis, or I could hike up to tampa and get a masters in medical sciences, or my third option is to go to UCF and get a second bachelors degree. One in Biology, i noticed UCF has a pre professional biology degree, that I could possibly do in 3 semesters. my goal is to keep it under another year and a half.

My last question is do I have anything in my favor ? Like being in nuclear medicine? or having 2 degrees in the health field? I understand my GPA is fairly low for applying to MD schools. This is why I ask. Im hoping something is in my favor a at the moment.

I would like to go to MED SCHOOL in Florida, or Arizona. Florida because I live here, Arizona because I grew up there. However If I got accepted to a M.D school I would not turn it down if it was otherwise.

Thank you for you time!

Any input would be appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

I thought about posting this in the "post baccalaureate programs" area, but realized this was more for this section. As I am looking for advice and asking what my chances are as well :).

Goal:

Going to Medical School is something that I recently in the past two years have decided on doing. As with many students on here I am now trying to do the best with what I have already completed, and trying to focus on the best path to get into a MD program. I prefer a M.D spot, however would gladly take a D.O spot If a M.D spot is not obtainable. By obtainable I mean, with only needing no more then 2 more years of premedical courses.

What I currently have:

I have a Associates of Science in Nuclear Medicine, and am currently certified by the Board of Nuclear Medicine and licensed by the state (Florida) to practice. After Graduating with my Associates, I decided I wanted to go back to school for more, so the very next month I enrolled for my Bachelors degree in Health Science. When I enrolled for my bachelors, I still didn't have med school in mind, I just wanted to continue my education at the time. About halfway through my bachelors I decided that I wanted to be a physician. I will have my Bachelors of Health Sciences in April of this year. So time is ticking, and I need to get on the right track fast.

My concerns:

I will have my bachelors in 3 months however I do not have all the med school pre reqs. I will need the fallowing still 2 semesters of Physics, Biology, Chemistry,and Organic Chemistry.

My Grades:

My associates GPA is 2.99
Undergrad GPA is 3.62
cGPA 3.25
SGPA is still in the air, im not sure what exactly is counted towards this, if its just basic science core classes like bio,math etc, then my sgpa is pushin -4.0 if it includes other classes like radiopharmacy, or nuclear physics etc etc then it will be little lower.

I am also not taking my MCAT just yet. Not till after most my pre reqs

I still have 3 classes left in my bachelors of health science, which I'm sure I can manage to get all A's in. Bringing my cGPA to ~3.31 and Undergrad GPA to ~3.67.

I have never failed a class, or withdrew from one. I have 4 Cs on my transcripts in total, all of which are from my associates degree, the rest are As and Bs, with them being more-so As as you get towards the end. As I said earlier, going to medschool wasnt on my mind up until halfway through my bachelors. My grades reflect this. As last semester I had a 4.0 and this one should be a 4.0 as well.

My Question(s):

With what I have already, what path should I choose for my prerequisites? What would be a reasonable path to take, preferably the most sound! Should I just take Individual classes to fulfill them? Or should I try and get into a post bach program or even take another bachelors degree all together. I know the community college here offers those pre med courses on a course by course basis, or I could hike up to tampa and get a masters in medical sciences, or my third option is to go to UCF and get a second bachelors degree. One in Biology, i noticed UCF has a pre professional biology degree, that I could possibly do in 3 semesters. my goal is to keep it under another year and a half.

My last question is do I have anything in my favor ? Like being in nuclear medicine? or having 2 degrees in the health field? I understand my GPA is fairly low for applying to MD schools. This is why I ask. Im hoping something is in my favor a at the moment.

I would like to go to MED SCHOOL in Florida, or Arizona. Florida because I live here, Arizona because I grew up there. However If I got accepted to a M.D school I would not turn it down if it was otherwise.

Thank you for you time!

Any input would be appreciated!!

Fellow Floridian here. I'm not really qualified to give you a ton of advice being a pre-med myself (though I am applying this year), but I suggest you avoid the community college route if possible. To be honest, I'd probably go with the second bachelor's degree because I believe it would give you more time to study for the MCAT and do EC's. Your GPA is kind of low but if you get some good medically-related experiences and do >32 (estimate) on the MCAT, you'll have a shot at Florida M.D. Probably >28 (estimate) for D.O.. I'm not sure how nuclear medicine looks, but if you have some work experience in the field that would probably make you stand out slightly. Good luck, kick some ass!

Your BCPM GPA for MD schools includes any Bio, Chem, Physics, and Math class you have taken in college. Here's the list from AMCAS regarding how to classify different courses https://services.aamc.org/AMCAS2_2012/WebApp/Help/WebHelp/Course_Work_Course_Classification.htm . Let us know what your BCPM is. It might be helpful to use this spreadsheet to sort everything out http://medschool.ucsf.edu/postbac/pdf/AMCAS%2520GPA_Calculator%2520Version%25205%2520Final.xls

Your radiopharmacy class is probably Health Sciences (not BCPM) and your nuclear physics is Physics (BCPM) but you can probably classify things better than I can.

sGPA for DO GPA calculation is a little different. Math is not counted for your sGPA but engineering courses do count. The full listing is found here https://aacomas.aacom.org/survey/views/client/aacomas/collegesInstructions4.html

I wouldn't take your prereqs at a CC nor would I do a master's or a new bachelor's. I would just do a formal or informal postbacc at a 4-year university. The school may require you to register as if you were completing a second degree but it isn't necessary to complete it. Just my $0.02. You still have a ton of prereqs plus your MCAT to do so I wouldn't rule out MD but DO if more realistic at this point

The big question: What do your EC's look like?

Members don't see this ad :)
I did the math, and if I get all As from here on out for the remaining 10 prerequisites, my cGPA would be ~3.45 and my sGPA would be ~3.71. Ive been reading the DIY method is best route for situations like mine. So what im gonna do is just that over at UCF or FIT since both are close to me here in Melbourne. I guess it will come down to my MCAT and ECs to really make that difference.

* ECs : these are what I just have at the moment, I haven't done anything special yet, since Ive decided to go to med school.

I do have over 500 hours experience in a clinical setting.
Worked in Nuclear Medicine Dept at the V.A in Viera FL
Worked in Nuclear Medicine Dept at Osler Medical in Melbourne FL
Worked in Nuclear Medicine Dept at Bartow Regional Medical Center in Bartow FL
Worked in PET/CT Lab at Space Coast Cancer Center
Licensed to practice Nuclear Medicine / Board Certified By NMTCB / CPR certified / BLS certified
Affiliate and Member with The Society of Nuclear Medicine.
I am learning to speak Spanish and German in my spare time *cant hurt right?
Also a Avid Musician *cant hurt right?
I have been a blood and plasma donor for years
I know I should probably have some shadowing, as well,but like I said I haven't started any new ECs yet

Last edited:
Fellow Floridian here. I'm not really qualified to give you a ton of advice being a pre-med myself (though I am applying this year), but I suggest you avoid the community college route if possible. To be honest, I'd probably go with the second bachelor's degree because I believe it would give you more time to study for the MCAT and do EC's. Your GPA is kind of low but if you get some good medically-related experiences and do >32 (estimate) on the MCAT, you'll have a shot at Florida M.D. Probably >28 (estimate) for D.O.. I'm not sure how nuclear medicine looks, but if you have some work experience in the field that would probably make you stand out slightly. Good luck, kick some ass!

+1 this