How to do I stay on a Waitlist past April 30th Without Losing My Spot at an Accepted School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JustCallMeDoctor

Reaction score
Hey there ! So April 30th is approaching faster than I anticipated it to and I am on a high priority waitlist for my #1 school. There's a good chance of seeing movement from that waitlist so I would like to stay on the waitlist for as long as I can. However, I have an acceptance that I want to hold if I don't get accepted into my #1 choice school. When April 30th comes around, how do I both hold my acceptance and stay on the waitlist? My accepted school stated that the last day to make a commit to enroll for them is July 15th.

Members don't see this ad.

This means you can stay on the WL for your #1 choice school until 7/15. If you get off the waitlist before then, you can take that offer! If you do not, you will have to CTE at your current accepted school and drop your name from the WL past that deadline.

best of luck to you!

Reactions: 5 users
Hey there ! So April 30th is approaching faster than I anticipated it to and I am on a high priority waitlist for my #1 school. There's a good chance of seeing movement from that waitlist so I would like to stay on the waitlist for as long as I can. However, I have an acceptance that I want to hold if I don't get accepted into my #1 choice school. When April 30th comes around, how do I both hold my acceptance and stay on the waitlist? My accepted school stated that the last day to make a commit to enroll for them is July 15th.
Just make sure you select PTE at your accepted school by 4/30. You are allowed to stay on WLs while you are PTEd at another school, that is, until you select CTE, which, as you said, you don't have to do until 7/15.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Correct me if I'm mistaken, but can't you commit to enroll at a school and pay the deposit while remaining on a waitlist elsewhere? Wouldn't that just mean you lose the deposit?

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but can't you commit to enroll at a school and pay the deposit while remaining on a waitlist elsewhere? Wouldn't that just mean you lose the deposit?
No, the AAMC guidelines require that once you select Commit to Enroll you withdraw all other As and WLs. You might be confusing CTE with PTE (Plan to Enroll), which does allow you to stay on WLs until the CTE date.

After 4/30, schools where you hold As or WLs can run a report a see whether you have selected CTE elsewhere (although not where), and will dump you if they are following the protocol. It might be different for DO -- I don't know about that.

I'm just a premed who hasn't done it yet, but it has been discussed to death since it was introduced last year, so I'm only 100% sure I got it right at this point! :)

Reactions: 3 users
No, the AAMC guidelines require that once you select Commit to Enroll you withdraw all other As and WLs. You might be confusing CTE with PTE (Plan to Enroll), which does allow you to stay on WLs until the CTE date.

After 4/30, schools where you hold As or WLs can run a report a see whether you have selected CTE elsewhere (although not where), and will dump you if they are following the protocol. It might be different for DO -- I don't know about that.

I'm just a premed who hasn't done it yet, but it has been discussed to death since it was introduced last year, so I'm only 100% sure I got it right at this point! :)
Awesome information!!! Thankyou so much

Reactions: 1 users
So if we PTE by 4/30, and get pulled off a waitlist and accept the offer say in May, can we wait till we get finaid from that school we got pulled to before changing your PTE?

So if we PTE by 4/30, and get pulled off a waitlist and accept the offer say in May, can we wait till we get finaid from that school we got pulled to before changing your PTE?
My understanding is that you are not supposed to be able to have both an A and a different PTE after 4/30. You would probably have to get fin aid straightened out before accepting the offer; I don't see how the school would expect you to accept the offer and drop the other PTE without giving you fin aid, but you would have to check with the school in that situation.

My understanding is that you are not supposed to be able to have both an A and a different PTE after 4/30. You would probably have to get fin aid straightened out before accepting the offer; I don't see how the school would expect you to accept the offer and drop the other PTE without giving you fin aid, but you would have to check with the school in that situation.
This is what I was thinking; would be hard to commit anywhere new without any idea of FA

This is what I was thinking; would be hard to commit anywhere new without any idea of FA
Yeah, what will happen after 4/30 is that the WL school will be able to see that you are PTEd elsewhere.

It would be unreasonable for them to expect you to give that up without knowing your COA. So, presumably, they will not ask you to accept their offer (by selecting them as PTE, which would require you to release the other PTE) without giving you the information you need. Your original PTE school will not know that you have the other A until you do something with it by releasing the first PTE.

If you end up saying no thanks to the WL school, the original PTE school will never know that anything happened.