How to explain post - bac leave of absence for med school apps

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Futurelifesaver

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am in a post-bac program that is only one year, and I decided to take a LOA in October for medical/personal reasons. Just to be honest (so I can get honest feedback) looking back, I think I was burnt out, though at the time I thought I was depressed/stressed. I just had a rough senior year and within two weeks of graduation, started the post - bac program (the two weeks were definitely not relaxing, trying to find an apartment, moving, etc). I started out fine, grades were good, but I was exhausted, and in October I was miserable and it was starting to affect my studying and grades.

I would have liked to take a shorter LOA but because this is a one year program, I would have to take spring semester, skip summer semester, and then go back in fall, which would cause me to wait ANOTHER year to hopefully get into medical school, so my adviser told me just to come back for the next cycle. And I took a medical leave of absence for the remaining school year.

During this time, however, I made sure to keep myself busy, I retook the mcat, improved my score, went to Japan to take care of my grandmother, and in Japan, I was able to assist a doctor, came back, volunteered alot, and shadowed another doctor alot, and I also took leadership positions in my church.

So, I was wondering, what do I write on my apps? Can I write I took a LOA for personal reasons, issue is resolved, and I did all that what is mentioned above ? or should I go in depth (such as saying burnt out etc). It already came up on the apps, and I don't want to hide it, but I guess my Asian roots are making me think I'm doomed. I know for sure I'm not going to write about it on the personal statement, because in my opinion it has nothing to do why I want to be a doctor. but how can I write about this without negatively affecting my chances?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Just say you were taking the MCAT and shadowing. It's honest and and it won 't raise any eyebrows.

I'm sorry, I forgot to mention that when I withdrew, I received W's for my classes. So, wouldn't that raise eyebrows? and im applying to texas schools and it already asked twice about taking breaks and stuff

Hopefully, Im not thinking way too much into this

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sorry, I forgot to mention that when I withdrew, I received W's for my classes. So, wouldn't that raise eyebrows? and im applying to texas schools and it already asked twice about taking breaks and stuff

Hopefully, Im not thinking way too much into this
Sounds like you will have to have an answer as those W's will raise eyebrows. I wouldn't answer with the reasons of feeling burnt out and depressed as it may raise questions about handling medical school. You could just answer that you decided to work on your MCAT and travel.

Just say you were taking the MCAT and shadowing. It's honest and and it won 't raise any eyebrows.

I'd disagree. It's 'technically' honest, but not 'substantially truthful' -- I'd go with the very difficult and stressful senior year followed immediately by move and start of post-bac, and that you realized you were exhausted, run-down and burned out, so decided to take some time out. (Would not say "depressed" though. Cite physical exhaustion more than mental, and if there is medical evidence to back that up, so much the better.) Your reasons for a full-year time out make sense; and your actions during your gap were positive and valuable.

I suspect that the 'exhaustion and needing time off' angle will work against you to some degree -- medical school is exhausting! But talk about what you learned about managing stress, recharging your physical and emotional batteries, and about preparing adequately for the next step before charging forth.

@DokterMom, so because the "exhaustion and needing time off" can work against me, what about just leaving as " took LOA for personal reasons, the matter has been resolved, and during this time I had the opportunity to do x,y,z"? or do I need to explain the reason a little bit more? I was hoping to not mention the reason at all...

Thank you everyone for your replies :)

@DokterMom, so because the "exhaustion and needing time off" can work against me, what about just leaving as " took LOA for personal reasons, the matter has been resolved, and during this time I had the opportunity to do x,y,z"? or do I need to explain the reason a little bit more? I was hoping to not mention the reason at all...

Thank you everyone for your replies :)

If you don't explain, your interviewers get to make something up. The baseline assumption generally going to be is along the 'mental health' track anyway, so might as well spin it yourself.