How to get the job?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xNoLongerFallingx

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Whoo so after going to various veterinary clinics in my area and dropping off my resume, an exotic veterinarian called me back!! I'm going in tomorrow after school (high school student) to do an interview/learn the ropes sort of thing, and I'm competing with one another person (have a feeling it's another person at my school because it's part of a health care internship program where we find a job for the school year in our preferred field of study- 40 people in one town looking for jobs in healthcare). So how do I come across as more likeable? The doctor was telling me about it and I really want the job. Is it possible to overdress? I'm in a business club at school and one of the biggest thing stressed is proper attire, so I have a bunch of business clothes, but is that too formal if I'm learning about the clinic? It's mainly a kennel/technician assistant sort of thing. So yeah, just any general advice is greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Definitely dress professionally! I was shocked when I went on vet school interviews this past year that some people dressed like they didn't care. Sorry, leggings are NOT acceptable business attire. Granted my shoes had been chewed on by my cat, but that part of the shoe couldn't be seen under my pants.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks! I knew I was going to wear a blazer I just didn't know whether to have the business pants as well. Any other tips? I realized I have a huge problem that I feel will hinder me from getting hired. I have two planned trips that will total to almost two weeks this summer (trip for my sister's birthday and a national competition for HOSA- healthcare club) and idk how to get past that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! I knew I was going to wear a blazer I just didn't know whether to have the business pants as well. Any other tips? I realized I have a huge problem that I feel will hinder me from getting hired. I have two planned trips that will total to almost two weeks this summer (trip for my sister's birthday and a national competition for HOSA- healthcare club) and idk how to get past that.

I would definitely dress professionally, wear flats or very low heels and very modest make-up if any.

As for other tips, be yourself :) Prepare to be asked why you want to be there, why you think you're a good candidate for the position, what you want to learn or be exposed to while there, etc. For me personally, practicing giving my answers to someone (like a parent, sibling, friend, counselor) is helpful in organizing my thoughts but you don't want to memorize the answers and come across as mechanical.

As for your planned trips, just be upfront about them. People expect students to have something planned over the summer, so I don't think it's a huge deal :) Good luck!

I always go khaki slacks (or you can do black slacks) and a button up collared shirt, usually pinstripe. Looks dressy yet casual enough for a vet clinic. Nice leather shoes - no heels.

Dress nice but bring scrubs/comfy shoes to show you are ready to get dirty. Ive heard my bosses comment favorably on people who come prepared to work and fit in, not just look pretty.

Reactions: 2 users
Dress nice but bring scrubs/comfy shoes to show you are ready to get dirty. Ive heard my bosses comment favorably on people who come prepared to work and fit in, not just look pretty.
What should I bring that in? A plain backpack? My nice purse is small

What should I bring that in? A plain backpack? My nice purse is small
We never expected our interviewees to come in or with scrubs. If we wanted them to get dirty, we'd let them know ahead of time that it was a working interview. You can have them if your car if you want, just to be able to say you have them with you if necessary, but I don't think you need to worry about finding a way to have them with you in the room for the interview.

We never expected our interviewees to come in or with scrubs. If we wanted them to get dirty, we'd let them know ahead of time that it was a working interview. You can have them if your car if you want, just to be able to say you have them with you if necessary, but I don't think you need to worry about finding a way to have them with you in the room for the interview.

Yep, in the car is fine.

Bumping. I have an interview at a small swine facility. It's an interview/tour deal. I'm not sure if I should dress down since we'll be in the facility or dress up for the interview... Trying to find a happy medium is difficult.

Definitely dress professionally! I was shocked when I went on vet school interviews this past year that some people dressed like they didn't care. Sorry, leggings are NOT acceptable business attire. Granted my shoes had been chewed on by my cat, but that part of the shoe couldn't be seen under my pants.
I definitely saw some girls that looked like they were on their way to the club, but leggings?!?!? To a vet school interview?! No way.

Bumping. I have an interview at a small swine facility. It's an interview/tour deal. I'm not sure if I should dress down since we'll be in the facility or dress up for the interview... Trying to find a happy medium is difficult.

Dress down and wear comfortable shoes that you can easily change out of or can comfortably fit into plastic covers (even the small swine facilities I've been in have had pretty strict biosecurity protocols about shoes). Black twill pants or khakis would work best. Nice business casual top or top/light cardigan combo. Don't wear jewelry. If you're traveled outside the country in the last 30 days or so, let them know beforehand.

In general, what's the most polite way to check up on your application process without sounding desperate?

In general, what's the most polite way to check up on your application process without sounding desperate?

How long has it been since you applied?

I usually call a week after the post-application deadline (if it's a small business or a place that actually welcomes such calls) and introduce myself then inquire about the status of the position. Just be polite and patient with whoever answers the phone even if he/she can't tell you anything. If no one answers leave a succinct message and ask to be called back. If they don't get back to you in 24-48 hours, call again.

How long has it been since you applied?

I usually call a week after the post-application deadline (if it's a small business or a place that actually welcomes such calls) and introduce myself then inquire about the status of the position. Just be polite and patient with whoever answers the phone even if he/she can't tell you anything. If no one answers leave a succinct message and ask to be called back. If they don't get back to you in 24-48 hours, call again.
Applied two and a half weeks ago, interviewed on the 31st, was told I'd hear a response on Friday or today. Was talking to one of my references, and she hasn't even been called for a ref check, which the employer said that she would do last week.
I'm just nervous and antsy when it comes to me and job applications. Esp since I wrote out all my upcoming expenses for this month.

Applied two and a half weeks ago, interviewed on the 31st, was told I'd hear a response on Friday or today. Was talking to one of my references, and she hasn't even been called for a ref check, which the employer said that she would do last week.
I'm just nervous and antsy when it comes to me and job applications. Esp since I wrote out all my upcoming expenses for this month.

If you were promised a response today, I would wait another day or two to respond. In my experiences, people usually don't contact you on Mondays, even if they said they would. If you don't hear back tomorrow, I think that it would be appropriate to call them on Wednesday and inquire about the position.

If you were promised a response today, I would wait another day or two to respond. In my experiences, people usually don't contact you on Mondays, even if they said they would. If you don't hear back tomorrow, I think that it would be appropriate to call them on Wednesday and inquire about the position.
Thanks Jess. This is my first real-life job that's not associated with anyone I already worked with or with my undergrad school. Stressin' hardcore lol