How to Rank? Last minute advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cluelessmedstudent411

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm an applicant for this cycle to pain. I've been fortunate enough to receive 10ish interviews. Im an average applicant and therefore my interviews were from average programs. None of the BWHs and CCs for me. I'm having a hard time coming up with a rank list. I keep wanting to change things around. There is so little information about fellowships outside of interviews that its becoming hard for me to make decisions.

Those of you that have gone through the process, what would you prioritize? What are things to think about? etc.

Just like most other applicants, I'm interested in the fancy procedures. But is that really that important? Im open geographically without significant ties to any area.

Anyone else applying this cycle having a similar dilemma?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can relate.

I created a point system to provide some degree of objectivity. I submitted my rank list 2 weeks ago and plan to just login before 9/22 to make sure the list still exists lol. Here's my 10-point scale:

Quality of Training [5.0]: reputation, fellow q&a, interview day

Support [2.0]: close friends/family in proximity

Location [2.0]: city > suburban > rural, median age (because I'm single), population size

Name [1.0]: prestige/recognition

Reactions: 1 user
At this point in my life location> all else (including the necessity to move for a 1 year stint). The prestige etc that I prioritized for residency is less important. Learn to drive a needle and everything else can come. No program is perfect (except maybe BWH). Covid interviews and internet information are all useless as fellows can say whatever they want for a 45 minute Q&A session.

I would also appreciate some advice on my top few if possible. My current order is below. Not a huge fan of MGH and I need to go with my gut rather than just by prestige. After BWH is there any order that you would change around? I'm coming out of residency pretty decent at needle driving and with a few hundred bread and butter under my belt so I am really favoring places that are solid in mentoring and can make sure I'm the most independent as possible coming out of the year of training. Is it important to learn ultrasound? That's one thing I really have very little exposure to, but I'm unsure how realistic it is to be doing in practice.

BWH, Utah, Dartmouth, Emory, UPMC, NW, VA LA, UC Irvine, UAB, PSU, MGH, Louisville, Tennessee

Last edited:
PMed.

Willing to send to others to hear your thoughts and personal experiences.
PM me your list and Ill reply as well. Conversely, you can post it here so everyone can rank it for you without having to PM you since your profile is private.

I'm also in this dilemma. How would you all rank Kansas vs. CCF? Looking for the whole package with no geographic restrictions for fellowship.

Dont rank any NY bs programs (basically all of them) unless you have family reasons to stay in NYC for that one year of fellowship

So I'm an applicant for this cycle to pain. I've been fortunate enough to receive 10ish interviews. Im an average applicant and therefore my interviews were from average programs. None of the BWHs and CCs for me. I'm having a hard time coming up with a rank list. I keep wanting to change things around. There is so little information about fellowships outside of interviews that its becoming hard for me to make decisions.

Those of you that have gone through the process, what would you prioritize? What are things to think about? etc.

Just like most other applicants, I'm interested in the fancy procedures. But is that really that important? Im open geographically without significant ties to any area.

Anyone else applying this cycle having a similar dilemma?
Aside from collegial work environment and good interventional exposure, which I think is a high priority for almost everyone, I'd pick based on:

1. Minimization of scut
2. Proximity to place I wanted to live long term

Don't underestimate the value of training in the region where you hope to live. Tons easier to network, travel for job interviews, get a flavor of good practices to join vs places to avoid, etc. Much cheaper too. Plus cross country moves are just plain awful. If you don't care or don't know where you want to end up, and you feel all of the places you interviewed will afford you a similar education, then I'd just pick the place where folks seemed the happiest. At the end of the day, you're going to come out of the year a competent pain doc no matter where you end up. Good luck!

What’s the scoop on BWH these days? What’s great about it besides the name? Tons of procedures? Genuine question.

I’m the odd one out who decided to move my entire family across the country for one year. It’s a great program, faculty are very accomplished yet still down to earth, and i felt that those connections would help me in the long term.

that said, location is definitely a huge consideration. I think prestige matters a bit as it’s your terminal year of training and so you may be “associated” with that institution when you start your job. For example, residency VCU, fellowship at MGH, you’ll be known as “the guy from Harvard.”

How about the converse? Residency at MGH but fellowship elsewhere? You'll still be able to tout the Harvard name.

How about the converse? Residency at MGH but fellowship elsewhere? You'll still be able to tout the Harvard name.
Counterpoint to your converse point, if you do both residency and fellowship at MGH/BWH/BID, can you say "the guy from both Harvards"?

Can anyone please comment on my rank list? I'm pretty sure this will be my final version. Thank you for any advice:

BWH
Dartmouth
Utah
Emory
UPMC
UC Irvine
NW
UAB
UCLA VA
PSU
MGH
U Louisville
U Tenn

Counterpoint to your converse point, if you do both residency and fellowship at MGH/BWH/BID, can you say "the guy from both Harvards"?
LOL yeah, you can say both the people who taught me how to put tube in mouth and the people who taught me how to practice pain were at the Harvards. Gotta make sure you go to harvard to learn how to put tube in mouth, in addition to going to harvard for pain fellowship

Gotta make sure those IV skills came from a top top institution so your Pain patients know they’re in good hands if they ever need IV

LOL yeah, you can say both the people who taught me how to put tube in mouth and the people who taught me how to practice pain were at the Harvards. Gotta make sure you go to harvard to learn how to put tube in mouth, in addition to going to harvard for pain fellowship

Also gotta go to Harvard to learn the mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell!

Can anyone please comment on my rank list? I'm pretty sure this will be my final version. Thank you for any advice:

BWH
Dartmouth
Utah
Emory
UPMC
UC Irvine
NW
UAB
UCLA VA
PSU
MGH
U Louisville
U Tenn

glad to see dartmouth hitting high on the list. i have no ties. but Vrooman was my attending.