How to Survive Interview Day

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone been asked during an interview what other schools they applied to or had interviews for?

my current adviser always asks this. it is more of a question to gauge your interest in the field (ie- have you applied to people who do similar work as your POI) rather than make you super nervous (although I imagine it does for most people!)

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone been asked during an interview what other schools they applied to or had interviews for?

I was asked this question at one of my interviews last year (where else was I interviewing). It was a little awkward but I think it really was to see if I applied to professors with consistent research areas. Although he also asked me how likely I was to accept an offer at each of those schools, so he may have been trying to gauge the likelihood of me accepting an offer from their program.

Yes, and it was my first exposure to real world anti-Psy.D. bias. wee!

Interviewer: So, what other programs have you applied to?

Me: Well, let me think... [freaking out]

Interviewer: Actually, I just want to know if you applied to any Psy.D. programs

Me: No.

Interviewer: Ok. That's the right answer.

Members don't see this ad :)

Interviewer: Actually, I just want to know if you applied to any Psy.D. programs

I had a similar experience - good for people to know that it happens.

I would guess that the PsyD question is largely to figure out if you are being consistent with what your career goals are. If you are telling their program that you want a career that incorporates, "research, teaching, and practice" but then applied to a bunch of PsyD programs, that will make the PhD program suspect that you are less interested in the research aspects than the practice aspects.

My frame of reference is that I went to a fully funded PhD program that liked to present itself as balanced, but that was essentially a lie. They were in no way interested in admitting or training practitioners and so admitting that the rest of your applications were at PsyD schools would have been the kiss of death for admission. That might be okay though if you want to avoid such an environment.

Good luck,
Dr. E

And I had the experience of only wanting to go to a research-focused program, but I had the neerrrve to be an older career-changer with a master's degree and clinical experience so those PhD programs didn't even look at me because I must have been lying about wanting to focus on research. Oup....oh, couldn't see for a minute there, my eyes were rolling so far back into my head....

ETA: The PsyD program I applied to rejected me because I was too "research-focused." This is all a big game and none of us know the rules. But you have to play it anyway. You must play your cards right and apply to a variety of places, if you have any blend of life experience, because otherwise you will miss the people who think you are a match.

I was admonished by a professor during an interview for daring to apply to other programs with more integrated and/or varied clinical orientations. Needless to say, by the end of that interview I would not have accepted an offer at that school if they had extended it. :p

I was admonished by a professor during an interview for daring to apply to other programs with more integrated and/or varied clinical orientations. Needless to say, by the end of that interview I would not have accepted an offer at that school if they had extended it. :p

Nice reminder that you are interviewing the program just as much as they are interviewing you! Applicants often forget that important part.

I had a similar experience - good for people to know that it happens.

Eh, you would have been given a pass if you said, "Yes, but it was Baylor". Then they would shrug their shoulders and move on. :)

Hi all-

For those of you in programs with the inside scoop on what factors play into admissions decisions...

I have an option pre-interview dinner that would be really hard for me to get to considering I was travelling to the interview the morning of.

How much would it matter (if at all) for admissions decisions if one does or doesn't go to this kind of informal event (no profs there).

Thanks

Hi all-

For those of you in programs with the inside scoop on what factors play into admissions decisions...

I have an option pre-interview dinner that would be really hard for me to get to considering I was travelling to the interview the morning of.

How much would it matter (if at all) for admissions decisions if one does or doesn't go to this kind of informal event (no profs there).

Thanks

You miss out on the opportunity to meet the current students and let them get to know you. They will have minimal input to give to their advisor without spending the social time with you. However, the year I interviewed I was unable to make it to social events for both of my interviews. I was wait listed at both sites and then accepted off the wait list at one school.

Bottom line, grad students give input. Our input is valued, and sometimes has impacted whether or not an offer is made. Ultimately the decision is not made by the grad students.

If you can't make it you can't make it. I was in the same position and just could not make it. I sometimes question whether it played into me being wait listed. Sometimes in our lab meeting after interview weekend when we're giving input to our advisor there will be that one candidate that receives neither negative nor positive feedback. Simply because we didn't get to spend time with them. That person is still considered, based on their interviews and their application materials. I can honestly say that the few times I can remember my advisor eliminating an interviewee due to grad student feed back, it was due to negative feedback and not lack of feedback.

Hi all-

Thanks

It shouldn't hurt your chances, but you might have to try extra hard to impress the professor during the interview since the grad students will have had less time to get to know you (and therefore will likely have less input to give the professor about you).

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,

I'm sure most of you reading this have already interviewed but here's my two cents on interview day, having just interviewed a month ago!

If you have multiple interviews lined up, you will soon realize that your first one is the most nerve-wracking. Why? The ambiguity! Not knowing what to expect almost drove me crazy the night before. The most important thing you can do (and I would say this is more important than going through potential questions) is to walk into that building with confidence. Don't act like you own the place, but act like you're qualified to be there (and you are!)

One thing that was tough for me was being under the impression that "everyone here is so qualified, I don't stand a chance!" The reality is, you're ALL qualified. I've had people tell me that it's best to think of interview day as: "The faculty loved you on paper, now they just need to see whether or not you're someone they would like to work with for 5-7 years."

Questions are what you'd expect. I've only had a few questions really throw me off guard during the interviews.
1) If you had to write your dissertation right now, what would it be? I think this was just to see where my mind was at in terms of research interests. Don't feel like you need an super detailed answer. However, be ready to answer some follow-ups like, "Tell me about how you would design the study?"
2) What is your favorite board game? I stupidly said "Monopoly!" which I realized was a dumb thing to say, as I don't want to give the impression that I'm some backstabbing uber-competitive type! :laugh:
3) If you were a school psychologist and a teacher didn't like the intervention you suggested, how would you handle it? This is basically, "how do you handle problems with others?"

Good luck everyone and PM or reply with other questions

Hi!

I know this thread is kinda old, but I read through it for some advice before my first interview (which was yesterday). My biggest advice to anyone who is prepping to interview is.... drum roll... CHILL OUT! :)

Seriously. Maybe all interview days aren't like mine, but it was a really great experience. You're there to learn about the school, and for them to learn about you. It was even kinda fun! It's cool to meet with other people that are as crazy about psych/ becoming a therapist as you are, and to talk to experts in the field who want to get to know YOU! (I still can't get over that fact.) Clar0780 above me is totally right- they already really like you, they just want to make sure you're mature enough in person/ ready for grad school/ not super awkward in real life.

I didn't really do much prepping at all, other than giving myself pep talks and stretching my arms wide to boost my confidence! And you'll definitely notice that that matters- there will be meek people in your interview group, and confident people. You definitely want to be one of the confident ones! I also think it's really important to have QUESTIONS- for everyone, including the current students who are there for YOU! Some people didn't ask questions at all, and it was weird. Just think about your genuine concerns about the program/ grad school/ living in that area.

Of course, being confident and being yourself is not a GUARANTEE that you'll get in, but if you show them your best, you'll have no regrets!

Here are some questions I was asked... Really, nothing at all difficult or dumbfounding!

1) Tell me a bit about your academic background and interest in psychology. I talked about my non-psych major in undergrad, how I got interested in psych, how I got to where I am today, etc.
2) Why do you want a Psy.D rather than a Ph.D? You should know this by now!
3) Why our program? There must be something about their program that you love- tell them and be enthusiastic about it!
4) Tell me about yourself. I know that as a psychologist (or psych-wannabe) you're supposed to be a good listener. Well. You need to be able to talk about yourself! Sell yourself! Tell him/her what makes you unique! I talked about what I've been up to since graduating college, what I've learned about myself, etc.
5) What are your interests/ what do you do to relax/ in your free time? Be honest! Show them that you're a cool person with a life outside of school and interests other than psychology.
6) Do you have brothers or sisters? This one was unexpected! But I have them, so I had something to talk about here. :)
7) Is there anything else you'd like me to know or any questions I didn't ask that you wanted me to? I knew she'd ask this one! For some reason I was thinking of the one question I DIDN'T want her to ask me, "What can you contribute to our program?", so I blurted that one out. Have a question in mind! This forum gives some great ideas.

My only regret is that I didn't ask MORE questions of everyone- faculty and current students. At some point, you'll get a little burnt out or overwhelmed and you won't be able to think of any questions for the life of you, but just down a coffee and keep swimming!

Reactions: 3 users
I have kind of a weird question about interview day that I haven't seen answered.

I'm going to be leaving/checking out of my hotel (could not get housing w grad student) the morning of my interview. That means I'll have to bring my luggage with me to the interview. I plan on taking just a carry on and a personal bag and not checking any luggage. The interview day ends at 5pm and my bus leaves at 7pm (arrives 5am the next morning then I have to make it to work...).

So is it unprofessional to bring my luggage and leave it somewhere in the building? Or will they be expecting this to happen?

At my last interview there were several people with backpacks. Since it seems like your bags are on the small side, I think it's totally acceptable to bring them along! If your interview day requires a lot of shuffling between buildings, you might want to e-mail the coordinator, or whoever contacted you about the interview, asking if there's somewhere you can leave them for the day.

Reactions: 1 user
I have kind of a weird question about interview day that I haven't seen answered.

I'm going to be leaving/checking out of my hotel (could not get housing w grad student) the morning of my interview. That means I'll have to bring my luggage with me to the interview. I plan on taking just a carry on and a personal bag and not checking any luggage. The interview day ends at 5pm and my bus leaves at 7pm (arrives 5am the next morning then I have to make it to work...).

So is it unprofessional to bring my luggage and leave it somewhere in the building? Or will they be expecting this to happen?

That's normal and something they'll be expecting.

Thanks for all the replies everyone :)

Just thought I would share some interview questions that I have had so far (I am keeping a record of all of them and plan to be sharing more)

Professional strengths and weaknesses?
What do you want to accomplish in graduate school?
What are some of the factors common to both obesity and eating disorders? (they are both my research interests)
Have you ever visited XXX City?
How do you prioritize long and short-term goals?
Prompted on results Honors Thesis?
Describe a paper I published (I was second author on it)
Talk about one of your favorite research project at your current lab - then asked follow up questions on research ideas coming from that project.
Are you a US Citizen?
Example of problem solving skills?
How are your writing skills?
Examples of leadership experience

Just thought I would share some interview questions that I have had so far (I am keeping a record of all of them and plan to be sharing more)

Professional strengths and weaknesses?
What do you want to accomplish in graduate school?
What are some of the factors common to both obesity and eating disorders? (they are both my research interests)
Have you ever visited XXX City?
How do you prioritize long and short-term goals?
Prompted on results Honors Thesis?
Describe a paper I published (I was second author on it)
Talk about one of your favorite research project at your current lab - then asked follow up questions on research ideas coming from that project.
Are you a US Citizen?
Example of problem solving skills?
How are your writing skills?
Examples of leadership experience

hmmmm... I'm trying to come up with a reason that a POI would ask if you are a US Citizen. I've got nothing.

I mean, I've gotten asked that on a form before, which I assume was for financial/admission reasons. not in an interview. that's so odd

I was asked about citizenship also. It is because there are some fellowship/funding opportunities that are for citizens and permanent residents only. Professors need to figure out the funding part if they make an offer so it is a valid question.

I still think it's a strange question to ask on an interview. I'm sure that's something they could find on the application if they wanted to accept the student and only had funding based on citizenship.