HPSP Medical discharge and payback?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Good Afternoon. I am an enlisted active duty soldier. While in AIT, I was diagnosed to be an Inactive Carrier of the Hepatitis B virus after an attempt for a blood donation. I was very depressed and thought that time I will be kicked out but I was not and even put to a med board. Fast forward after two years of keeping my self busy taking classes and studying for MCAT and taking it twice, finally a manage to get an acceptance to a medical school. This week I had my commissioning physical for HPSP, I disclose my diagnosis in the DD Form 2807-1 (Medical History Form). I actually expect to be denied and ask to get a waiver. Worst case I expect to be med board out which is fine by me actually. To my surprise, the physician at our MTF just read my diagnosis and said "OK" and move along on the physical. In the end, the remarks were "qualified to service without limitation". I was totally flabbergasted and range walk out her office before she changes her mind. LOL. I thought my diagnosis is a straight disqualifier!! I don't want to keep my hopes high because I know base on my life experience that **** happens. I don't want this to haunt me in the future. Should I ask the physician again if I don't need a waiver for it? Should I be an advocate to myself to be disqualified? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Good Afternoon. I am an enlisted active duty soldier. While in AIT, I was diagnosed to be an Inactive Carrier of the Hepatitis B virus after an attempt for a blood donation. I was very depressed and thought that time I will be kicked out but I was not and even put to a med board. Fast forward after two years of keeping my self busy taking classes and studying for MCAT and taking it twice, finally a manage to get an acceptance to a medical school. This week I had my commissioning physical for HPSP, I disclose my diagnosis in the DD Form 2807-1 (Medical History Form). I actually expect to be denied and ask to get a waiver. Worst case I expect to be med board out which is fine by me actually. To my surprise, the physician at our MTF just read my diagnosis and said "OK" and move along on the physical. In the end, the remarks were "qualified to service without limitation". I was totally flabbergasted and range walk out her office before she changes her mind. LOL. I thought my diagnosis is a straight disqualifier!! I don't want to keep my hopes high because I know base on my life experience that **** happens. I don't want this to haunt me in the future. Should I ask the physician again if I don't need a waiver for it? Should I be an advocate to myself to be disqualified? Thank you.

Already answered this in another thread.

Members don't see this ad :)
@Armyhealth Do you know what are other options just incase I don't get selected from HPSP? Can you request to be discharge to go to medical school? Can I transfer from active to reserve or guard to fulfill my service commitment? I will still have 1 year and 9 months of service obligation left if med school starts on July 2019. Any insight will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

@Armyhealth Do you know what are other options just incase I don't get selected from HPSP? Can you request to be discharge to go to medical school? Can I transfer from active to reserve or guard to fulfill my service commitment? I will still have 1 year and 9 months of service obligation left if med school starts on July 2019. Any insight will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

There is a discharge for education you can request. I would talk to your education office and reenlistment team and see what they can tell you. Discharge options are really out of my expertise.

I bet they're many walking around with chronic Hep b from tattoos. I expect pharma will develop a drug to clear the HBsAg.