HPSP while active duty (deferring admission?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dr_lee

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I’m just posting my story trying to get different people’s opinions, maybe someone went through something similar, so I can start to figure out what my future might look like.

I’m an active duty marine, enlisted, with a prior bachelor’s in chemistry. I planned on applying to dental school for the year my contract is up. Then late in the cycle, I found out I could get an early release and apply for this upcoming year if I was selected for one of the commissioning programs, so I went to a Navy recruiter and started the HPSP package.

So, I crushed the DAT and thought alright let’s do this. Wound up getting into several schools, choosing UNC in the end. Navy HPSP package was delayed because I first had to secure a letter of conditional release from the Marine Corps commandant. Finally got that in late December, finished the package, and deployed right after. I’m just now coming home from deployment this week, and I’m currently an alternate for Navy HPSP. Problem is, I have no idea what the timeline is for their decisions, and I’m not sure even if selected how long the check out of the marines process is going to take.

Long story short, I’m thinking if I don’t hear from the Navy by the end of June, I may have to ask UNC if they would consider letting me wait until next year, or work some arrangement maybe I take leave to attend class or something in the beginning. Ultimately I’m pretty stressed about it, trying to get the last component of the Dental School trifecta to align, haha. What do y’all think, the school would consider letting me wait given my circumstance?

Best regards,
Kyle

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats on UNC!

I think you’re better off posting this in the military dentistry thread. There’s probably no one in this one that can shed any helpful information.

If I were you, I would talk to the dean of the school about your situation. I hope they would be understanding, especially since you’re in the Corps.

I really hope you get the navy HPSP, you deserve it

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,

I’m just posting my story trying to get different people’s opinions, maybe someone went through something similar, so I can start to figure out what my future might look like.

I’m an active duty marine, enlisted, with a prior bachelor’s in chemistry. I planned on applying to dental school for the year my contract is up. Then late in the cycle, I found out I could get an early release and apply for this upcoming year if I was selected for one of the commissioning programs, so I went to a Navy recruiter and started the HPSP package.

So, I crushed the DAT and thought alright let’s do this. Wound up getting into several schools, choosing UNC in the end. Navy HPSP package was delayed because I first had to secure a letter of conditional release from the Marine Corps commandant. Finally got that in late December, finished the package, and deployed right after. I’m just now coming home from deployment this week, and I’m currently an alternate for Navy HPSP. Problem is, I have no idea what the timeline is for their decisions, and I’m not sure even if selected how long the check out of the marines process is going to take.

Long story short, I’m thinking if I don’t hear from the Navy by the end of June, I may have to ask UNC if they would consider letting me wait until next year, or work some arrangement maybe I take leave to attend class or something in the beginning. Ultimately I’m pretty stressed about it, trying to get the last component of the Dental School trifecta to align, haha. What do y’all think, the school would consider letting me wait given my circumstance?

Best regards,
Kyle
Yea, if the HPSP doesn’t pan out, I would ask for a deferment. Highly unlikely they would part ways with you because of an active duty service obligation. You could also still land a 3.5 year HPSP if they allow it, although time is running out. And I know this isn’t constructive, but I would never assume that something will go smoothly, timely or the way you want in the military. It’ll save you from a lot of stress in the future. Good luck

Reactions: 1 users
Yea, if the HPSP doesn’t pan out, I would ask for a deferment. Highly unlikely they would part ways with you because of an active duty service obligation. You could also still land a 3.5 year HPSP if they allow it, although time is running out. And I know this isn’t constructive, but I would never assume that something will go smoothly, timely or the way you want in the military. It’ll save you from a lot of stress in the future. Good luck

Thanks for the reply. It was tough getting everything to line up, but yes soon I’ll have to face the facts and ask for a deferment. I did hear that there were still offers being made for the 3-year option, but the timing is the key.

Hey this is awesome, I'm a soon-to-be-CG vet who's going to spend the next year knocking out my dental school prerequisites. Firstly, from one service member to another, thank you for your service.

If HPSP doesn't pan out, you should look into the HSCP! It's a Navy-only program where they enlist you as an active duty E6 (E7 with prior service at the E7 and above level) during the 4 years of dental school, meaning that those years in dental school count towards retirement and you get all the other benefits (leave, Tricare, etc.). The catch is they won't pay your tuition and fees during dental school, but for prior service guys like you and I it's a pretty good deal.

How many years do you currently have in? If you've served 36 months you'll have 100% of your Post 9/11 GI Bill. You could use that if you wanted while doing HSCP. I was an electrical engineering/computer science major back at the Academy so need to do a gap year to take the life science courses and crush the DAT, and intend on using my GI Bill to fund dental school. I'm interested in HSCP but also interested in USPHS and then going back to the CG as a dentist. Hope this helps!

The HSCP would have been the ideal choice, but my recruiter told me there was one spot for the entire program. So not really sure how that works out, but I didn’t apply to that on that basis. She told me there were 200 spots available for HPSP. I’ll ask her about it, if they gave that spot away. Thanks for reminding me.

You may want to look more into that, you know how recruiters are. My understanding is that HSCP is less competitive than HPSP. I've read on here how people who weren't competitive enough for the latter were offered the former

The HSCP would have been the ideal choice, but my recruiter told me there was one spot for the entire program. So not really sure how that works out, but I didn’t apply to that on that basis. She told me there were 200 spots available for HPSP. I’ll ask her about it, if they gave that spot away. Thanks for reminding me.
If the HSCP is available he would have most likely told you. The recruiters job is to you recruit you, anyway possible.

You may want to look more into that, you know how recruiters are. My understanding is that HSCP is less competitive than HPSP. I've read on here how people who weren't competitive enough for the latter were offered the former
One of my best friends applied to HPSP and was offered HSCP as an alternate. Another was elected off the waiting list for 4-year USN HPSP midway through the semester and ended up with a 3.5 year HPSP.

Wow. I’ve heard nothing of that sort. I asked my recruiter about this yesterday. Hopefully it’s not too late. Thanks for the help.

If the HSCP is available he would have most likely told you. The recruiters job is to you recruit you, anyway possible.

Perhaps. Like anyone who's served in the military, always best to not trust the recruiters and get all of your info inline as OP is doing

Status
Not open for further replies.