I can't retake a math class in which I got a "D". How will adcoms percieve this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

notrack

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I really appreciate any input.

Long story short, I am a recent political science graduate and I am seriously considering DO schools and, to a less extent, MD schools. I have yet to complete my science prereqs (Calc I, II, 3 quarters bio, 3 quarters phys, 3 quarters gen chem, 3 quarters O-chem). But there are aspects of my transcripts that I worry about in regards to the admissions process.

Here is my primary concern: I got a D in a trig course at a community college because I was working full-time.

Now that I've graduated, there isn't any way to replace the grade
(I know DO schools have grade replacement). Will this "D" on my transcript put me in the "discard pile" for DO schools? What about MD schools? How can i get in touch with an adcom to talk about the "red flags" on my transcripts.

Overall, I have a 3.55 gpa. I hope to get between a 3.5-3.65 gpa after completing my prereqs (at a 4 year) and an MCAT score of 30-34. Will the "D" be overlooked if I do well enough my prereqs, especially if I show that I can do well in Calc I and II. I am in the process of self-studying so that I might do well in my science/math prereqs. But I want to give myself the best chance to get into a Med School and do well.

Again, I really appreciate the input.

Members don't see this ad.

Short answer, no.

As longs as you do well in your upper-level math courses you're taking, then it shouldn't be an issue. Don't use work as an excuse for the poor grade, just suck it up and move on. You'll be a whole lot busier come medical school if you get in, so if asked, take the opportunity to turn it into a learning experience and move on.

If you're self-studying for your sciences, look for tutorial books that will help you understand the language of the courses better. I'm sure you have learned your leaning styles and study habits better than anyone, so ise whatever tools are at your disposal to do the best moving forward.

Best of luck...and don't stress about what you can't change.

i've been in the spot of math deficiency. It is an amazingly intimidating dragon to slay. Don't be afraid to go back and start from precalculus. Adcoms will understand and like that you went and took the effort to learn. Hire a tutor if necessary. Your pride isn't worth your life.

That fact that you have graduated doesn't affect whether you can replace the grade. It is not in based on what institution you took it at.