I gotta know everyone's secret to this!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmPrincess

Hot and smart...damn :)
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright, I have to know what makes you guys get out of bed to catch class. What's the motivation? Just recently, Im finding it so hard to catch my 2hr 8am class and end up sleeping through it only to come to my other classes at 10am. Sleeping early doesn't help me, so i gotta ask: what's everyone secret to rolling out of bed to catch the early bird classes??

Members don't see this ad.

I have a few secrets. I have a Biochem class at 8:30 MWF, and live about 20-25 mins away from campus. I know if I get up early, I beat traffic (unless some freak accident happens). If I sleep in til' my 10 o'clock class, it's horrible and takes me twice that long to get to school. So no traffic=waking up early for me!

Also, just recently I have a new motivation. My boyfriend moved about an hour away and now has a full time job. Since he is only here on the weekends, I go to class and try and absorb as much info. as possible so I don't have to play "catch-up" on the weekends and I can spend time with him. :love:

Or, you could just think about the wonderful career you have ahead if you don't hit snooze! :D

I try and make it as hard as possible to shut my alarm off. Just putting it on the other side of the room doesn't cut it anymore :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
How to you make it harder Knipps?

Personally I hate missing class because I'm always afraid I might miss something important. I know it really defies logic, but I know other people like this too. I still have a hard time getting up in the morning, but I almost always go to class unless I have a good reason.

How to you make it harder Knipps?

Personally I hate missing class because I'm always afraid I might miss something important. I know it really defies logic, but I know other people like this too. I still have a hard time getting up in the morning, but I almost always go to class unless I have a good reason.

Honestly? I put my chair in front of my desk so I can't just reach across it, or something around/on top of it that I'd knock over if I wasn't paying attention. I'm thinking about putting it under my desk if need be :smuggrin:

Lol. I was trying to get some ideas. The whole putting the alarm clock far away so you actually have to get up doesn't work for me. I turn it off and go back to bed.

I'm kinda on the same boat. Attending lectures seems to be a bit pointless for me. The professors and lecturers all just read slides off of a projector, and we all have hard copies of the slides already.

its even more tempting to skip/sleep in if the lectures are posted on podcasts too!

Honestly? I put my chair in front of my desk so I can't just reach across it, or something around/on top of it that I'd knock over if I wasn't paying attention. I'm thinking about putting it under my desk if need be :smuggrin:

Lol. I was trying to get some ideas. The whole putting the alarm clock far away so you actually have to get up doesn't work for me. I turn it off and go back to bed.

You guys need this. :smuggrin:

clocky-robotic-alarm.jpg

30532-03.jpg

When the clock alarm sounds, a plastic propeller is launched up into the air then flies unpredictably around the room. In order to turn off the alarm, you will have to rise from bed, find the propellor, and then return it to the base. By then, you will surely be awake.

Sleeping early and waking early will really change your life and give you tons of free time in the morning to do your errands, work, etc.

Best of Luck!

Last edited:
30532-03.jpg

When the clock alarm sounds, a plastic propeller is launched up into the air then flies unpredictably around the room. In order to turn off the alarm, you will have to rise from bed, find the propellor, and then return it to the base. By then, you will surely be awake.

I need that! :laugh:

I have to wake up at 7am, the latest. When I have work till 10pm the night before, it is nearly impossible.

Members don't see this ad :)
set off like 4 different ones that are within 1minute of each other that way you'd probably get annoyed by then, works for me

In school, I just didn't go to any class that started before 9AM. The thought of waking up at 8:30 frightened me. Now that I get paid just about 6 figs, I slap that alarm and get right up at 5:45 with a smile on my face...damnedest thing...

For me, it helps immensely to sleep the exact same schedule every night. Although it may not be very practical, if you can make it a priority it does wonders! I used to be someone who pushed snooze on my alarm for an hour before finally dragging my groggy self out of bed - it didn't matter how long I slept, I would always be tired. Now I sleep from 10:30-6 every day, and usually wake up a few minutes before my alarm... it's a world of difference. Also, I've read in a few different places that sleeping in multiples of 90 minutes (the length of an entire sleep cycle) helps a lot too (hence my 7 1/2 hour sleep schedule). Good luck, sleepiness can make class/studying impossible. :thumbup:

I usually wake up about an hour before I leave for class, it takes me a while to function after I wake up. If you don't drink coffee you should look into that, its the nectar of the gods.

I usually wake up about an hour before I leave for class, it takes me a while to function after I wake up. If you don't drink coffee you should look into that, its the nectar of the gods.

unless a cup of coffee doesn't do anything to you, and feel sleepy afterwards :confused:

...me:scared:

Well, I used to take the train to school every day and when I had to be at school at 8AM, I had to be at the train station by 6:30 since that was the last possible train.

Now, I drive so I leave around 6:45AM-7:15AM and I drive aggressively to get there (>100 mph).

I can get up for an 8AM class (wake up at 7:10) because I know I'll miss important info (the class is physio), but I don't have time to eat breakfast :( I now have to figure out how to go to class and eat, with as few walks between campus and my apartment as possible (a 15min walk and it's getting too cold to bike).

I try and make it as hard as possible to shut my alarm off. Just putting it on the other side of the room doesn't cut it anymore :laugh:
That worked for me, my alarm was so loud I couldn't let it go off for more than 5 seconds :laugh: so basically I jumped out of bed to turn off the alarm on the other side of the room :luck:

I can get up for an 8AM class (wake up at 7:10) because I know I'll miss important info (the class is physio), but I don't have time to eat breakfast :( I now have to figure out how to go to class and eat, with as few walks between campus and my apartment as possible (a 15min walk and it's getting too cold to bike).

prepare food before going to bed.....eat it in the morning while walking.

Ever since I came back to the states from France (sept-dec), I did not shake the jet lag (7 hour difference). Now I sleep at 6-7 PM and wake up at 4-5 AM. It really helps to sleep early, not 10 or 9 pm, but even earlier like 5,4 or even 3 PM.

I can really tell the difference because I used to sleep regularly at 2,3 AM, midnight at the earliest and had trouble waking up and staying awake in class. Sleeping early and waking early will really change your life and give you tons of free time in the morning to do your errands, work, etc.

It might also prepare you for the graveyard shift if you plan on going that route.
Best of Luck!

When I got back from Australia I couldn't fall asleep before 3am (sometimes as late as 7am) and I'd typically wake up at 3pm, except for the one night where I slept for 3 hours:mad:. Honestly though, once I got back to school things changed back to normal real fast. I also got over whatever ailment was causing me to sleep up to 12 hours a night.

That worked for me, my alarm was so loud I couldn't let it go off for more than 5 seconds :laugh: so basically I jumped out of bed to turn off the alarm on the other side of the room :luck:
I wish mine was that loud, I have mine set to the radio(static)
I'll sleep through the regular alarm!

No secret, I just do it... I set my alarm and usually set my phone alarm as a backup just in case, but I've always been up before my phone alarm goes off. How do you motivate yourself to do anything that's not particularly fun but needs to be done, like going to the dentist or getting your oil changed?

You get off your Princess butt and get to class. It's not difficult, but it does require some self-discipline.

You get off your Princess butt and get to class. It's not difficult, but it does require some self-discipline.

Princess? i resent that (i kno i kno its my ID name), lol. i only intended this post to be fun.

Hehe, so was my post. The answer really is obvious. LOL Although the propeller-driven alarm clock was amusing...

And, seriously, it it THAT hard to put a 'w' at the end of 'kno' to make a truly complete word?

Last edited:
Hehe, so was my post. The answer really is obvious. LOL Although the propeller-driven alarm clock was amusing...

And, seriously, it it THAT hard to put a 'w' at the end of 'kno' to make a truly complete word?

yea, i know (lol) it's something i gotta work on wen typing. For sum reason the shortcut chat/txting lingo is starting to kom naturally, argh! (must be a generation thing, i guess; damn those ppl who keep txting me on my cell!) Typing up papers and emailing profs is really wen im correct with words...my sincerest apologies :)

yea, i know (lol) it's something i gotta work on wen typing. For sum reason the shortcut chat/txting lingo is starting to kom naturally, argh! (must be a generation thing, i guess; damn those ppl who keep txting me on my cell!) Typing up papers and emailing profs is really wen im correct with words...my sincerest apologies :)

Yeah every conceited Princess from a certain generation believes she's clever and above it all. Good luck with that when my generation goes to hire you. We've been taught to hate Princesses. We believe that you are spoiled and beyond worthless. I suspect things will be different with the Princess-everything generation, but for now my generation will be in charge.

I'd drop the claim to royalty if I were you.

Last edited:
Yeah every conceited Princess from a certain generation believes she's clever and above it all. Good look with that when my generation goes to hire you.

look? you mean luck? that's my habit... picking out grammatical errors. I never wanted to come across conceited or "above it all". What's your deal bro? There's no claim to royalty except for a cute ID name. Hate princesses? what happens if you have daughters?

look? you mean luck? that's my habit... picking out grammatical errors. I never wanted to come across conceited or "above it all". What's your deal bro? There's no claim to royalty except for a cute ID name. Hate princesses? what happens if you have daughters?

Yeah, spelling corrected as you posted.

You wondered how you could possibly manage to wake up in time for the class that would train you for the profession to which you were supposedly dedicated. Your handle included "Princess" which implies "spoiled rotten".

My daughters would never be princesses, although they would be as loved as the sons. They would be daughters with all the responsibilities of human beings. No pampering and no special treatment. It's the age of equal rights.

Hot and smart, damn....

The answer is just do it. It's called discipline. Summon it up and get to work. The only suggestion I have is get one of those coffee makers that has a timer so you wake up to a fresh pot of coffee. It's a nice aroma and caffeine is the DOC for college students....

Or you could get the propeller alarm clock. That's really amazing.....

Wooooowwww, chill out bro. Didn't know you're so anal. Like i said before, this post was just for fun. No need to attack and analyze every minute detail.

Wooooowwww, chill out bro. Didn't know you're so anal. Like i said before, this post was just for fun. No need to attack and analyze every minute detail.

There's much to discover about me.

So I'm 'bro', are you Nubian Princess now? How about if we dispense with the racially specific nicknames and just stick with 'Sir' and 'Madam'? I'll call you Princess if you insist, but I'll roll my eyes each time I do it.

My bad, it's Dearborn lingo. It's not racially specific in the metro-Detroit area.

Understood, but it's racially specific in the other 99.8% of the US. Have you seen Gran Torino yet?

Dude, y'all need to chill. Seriously.
For my motivation it's the letter grade drop for being at my 6:30am IV rotation more than 15 minutes late.

Alright, I have to know what makes you guys get out of bed to catch class. What's the motivation? Just recently, Im finding it so hard to catch my 2hr 8am class and end up sleeping through it only to come to my other classes at 10am. Sleeping early doesn't help me, so i gotta ask: what's everyone secret to rolling out of bed to catch the early bird classes??
I feel your pain. I was a morning person once upon a time but that was long long ago. I hate mornings. And I have the most comfortable bed in the world: memory foam mattress pad, heated blanket, big fluffy warm soft blanket....mmmmm lol Anyways, I look forward to seeing my boyfriend. I also have hear it helps to put your alarm across the room (I refuse to do this personally - but it does work as long as you don't go back to bed lmao) Or you could get one of those crazy alarm clocks that runs away haha

Another thing you could d is get up an extra hour or so earlier than you have to to get to class. Ik now it sucks mucho, but it gives you time to get out of bed and fully wake up before your class starts. I set an alarm for every half hour from about two hours before my first class till the time I have to be walking out the door. Then if I turn one off, another one wakes me up an I eventually get so annoyed I get out of bed.
*shrugs* you have to find your own thing though. Try different things for a while until you find the one that works.

Understood, but it's racially specific in the other 99.8% of the US. Have you seen Gran Torino yet?

What the hell are you talking about? I live in hick ass WV and I call white people, black people, women, all sorts of people "bro" or "brother" all the damn time and nobody cares, nor makes a distinction. Of course, people actually give a **** about each other here, so calling a guy "brother" actually means something positive around these parts. Or maybe I don't know enough racists or something.

What the hell are you talking about? I live in hick ass WV and I call white people, black people, women, all sorts of people "bro" or "brother" all the damn time and nobody cares, nor makes a distinction. Of course, people actually give a **** about each other here, so calling a guy "brother" actually means something positive around these parts. Or maybe I don't know enough racists or something.

Agreed. I'm in Cincinnati and I seriously doubt anyone here would find the term "bro" or "brother" offensive. I use the term brother sometimes when addressing guys in my unit I've known for years.

I use sir a lot and like the formality. I avoid ma'am unless the woman's over 50. Below that it's just awkward if they're not married.

I never say bro but will use man if it's a guy and he's under 30.

I use sir a lot and like the formality. I avoid ma'am unless the woman's over 50. Below that it's just awkward if they're not married.

I never say bro but will use man if it's a guy and he's under 30.

I once said to a guy who was probably 35 years old

"I'll have that ready for you in about 10 minutes, sir"

he said calling him sir made him feel old

so i replied "Dude, gimme like 10 minutes to get this ready for you"

he laughed