I have a B in organic chemistry. Should I give up? on premed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

omegaz50

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, this is my first time on this forum so bear with me.

I was just in the middle of studying for the MCAT when I realized that all this effort of studying might be useless. I got a B in Orgo II and a B+ in Orgo I. I also got an B- in physics(I took the harder engineering physics class instead of the general physics that most premeds take, but the medical schools won't know/care). I also got a B+ in Calculus II (I took the harder class instead of general Calculus II, but again, med schools won't know/care). Even though the rest of my classes are A's, I am still very hopeless.

I'm also hopeless because I have minimal research experience whereas many of the premed have already published papers. I have even less clincal experience.

Right now I just don't feel like studying for the MCAT since I figure I won't get in anyway so why bother wasting the time, might as well be doing something else...

PS: Do you think med school consider your undergrad. school when you apply? I am attending a private school that's ranked in the top 30 of USNEWS National Universities. I passed on the opportunity to go to Berkeley for this private school. Did I make the right choice?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Yea with grades like those the Caribbean wont even except you, sorry....

Honestly man don't be so dramatic. Having 4 B's is not going to kill your chances. Make up for it in your other classes and the MCAT

Reactions: 1 user
If you're freaking out over a few B's in UG, you're going to have a hard time in med school. I'd recommend quitting now before more severe neurosis sets in.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're asking us if you should give up, it tells me that you might not be mentally strong. If you can't handle getting a B in Ochem, how can you handle something more serious which you'll encounter in medical school? If you can't handle this, then give up. But if you really want this, if you're willing to drown before you give up, then don't give up on your dream.

It's all on you. You need to keep your nose to the grinder and keep chugging on! You can do it, and never give up!

If you're asking us if you should give up, it tells me that you might not be mentally strong. If you can't handle getting a B in Ochem, how can you handle something more serious which you'll encounter in medical school? If you can't handle this, then give up. But if you really want this, if you're willing to drown before you give up, then don't give up on your dream.

It's all on you. You need to keep your nose to the grinder and keep chugging on! You can do it, and never give up!

+1, post like that make me realize that most UG's haven't even had a taste of reality yet. I was just as irrational though so I can't judge.

Try going through English seminar and then tell me about orgo...

is this for real?

if so OP, I got B's in orgo I and II and I have 3 C's on my transcript and I'm not giving up.

Also, if you have only 4 B's and all A's your GPA should still be very high...

I got a C in Ochem 2 and have 2 interview invites, no gimmicks.

If you think you want to give up because of this, you need to evaluate your inner motivation for medicine. Are you going to give up on your patients just because they have a terminal illness? No, you keep pushing and moving forward no matter what!!!!

I can't tell if your a troll but seriously a B is considered a good grade in college- especially in orgo. If your GPA is strong enough you will still make it. If you want to prove yourself take biochem and get an A

If you can't draw/memorize the movement of electrons during a chemical reaction (at a 90% proficiency no less!) how could you ever expect an interview invite OP?

Its ok after a year of thinking like that youll start accepting Bs and then Cs....

Members don't see this ad :)
I got a C in Ochem 2 and have 2 interview invites, no gimmicks.

Seriously. I got a C in ochem 1 and just made sure I studied extra hard for the MCAT. I got an 11 on the actual biological sciences (down two points from my average 13 on practice tests).

I have gone to two interviews and have invitations to three more. I am waiting to hear back from my top choice (already interviewed with) before deciding if I will actually attend more interviews.

In one of my interviews, they asked me about potential weaknesses and I mentioned the C in ochem. He looked at my MCAT score and biochem grades (all A's) and said he did not foresee me having any problems with the chemistry portion of medical school.

Just relax! One, two or even five bad grades are not going to kill you (granted there are exceptions, but your four B's do not count). Just show improvement and acknowledge your weaknesses when studying for the MCAT. Adjust your studying accordingly.

Seriously. With that kind of defeatist attitude, You will be fine.

Dude, really? I got a B in both G Chem's, and I'm in O Chem 1 now (looking at an A as of now). A couple of B's won't kill you. These classes tend to weed out the weaker applicants. I'd say that about 2/3 of my grades are A's, the other third, B's. Not too bad. If I get a C, I'll start worrying.

Dude, really? I got a B in both G Chem's, and I'm in O Chem 1 now (looking at an A as of now). A couple of B's won't kill you. These classes tend to weed out the weaker applicants. I'd say that about 2/3 of my grades are A's, the other third, B's. Not too bad. If I get a C, I'll start worrying.
if you get one C I don't think you should start worrying, especially considering most of your grades are A's...

if you get one C I don't think you should start worrying, especially considering most of your grades are A's...

Right...I'm just neurotic like that. I'm just saying, orgo is a weed out class, plain and simple. A B will not ruin his chances.

Try coming back from D's. I don't want to hear about it. =\

The choice is really up to you, but I would. The more important question is... how do even live with yourself?

Looks like one less person to compete with y'all!

I got Bs in both organics and a C in my only math class and got accepted, so don't worry too much. Just make sure the rest of your application balances the GPA out.

Clearly, you're a failure and would put patients life in danger. Giving up not only sounds like the reasonable thing to do but the only thing you can do. It's unheard of to have a medical degree with those grades.

No-one likes people who quit. Are you going to give up on the patient?Now get up and give me 50 jumping-jacks.

I feel like this is the bajillionth neurotic pre-med thread that I've seen today. You'll be fine OP.

Since you're at a top 30 private school maybe there is just a lot more competition because everyone is just amazing so compared to them you don't stand out as much. It is rare to see a pre-med at my school with publications and you're making it seem like their as common as community service at you're school. You're school might just have higher standards so take that into consideration.

I'd kill a dog for a B+ in orgo... wait I don't have a dog. Well you get the idea. BREATH you are FINE!

I had a C in orgo. You'll be fine. Honestly. I didn't even have that many A's in my prereqs.

I've gotten plenty of B/B+'s. You'll be fine

Classic SDN.

Wow, people can be brutal...

OP, don't worry, those grades will not stop you from getting in. Lots of people with those grades and even much worse grades do get into med school. They are not considered terrible grades. Just get off SDN, study for the MCAT, and rock that exam! You will be fine.

Getting a B in Organic Chemistry WILL NOT kill your chances of getting into med school. What may kill your chances are falling into habits of continual self-doubt and paranoia.

barney-stinson-himym-keep-calm-legendary-neil-patrick-harris-stay-Favim.com-71012_large.jpg

Okay, this is my first time on this forum so bear with me.

I was just in the middle of studying for the MCAT when I realized that all this effort of studying might be useless. I got a B in Orgo II and a B+ in Orgo I. I also got an B- in physics(I took the harder engineering physics class instead of the general physics that most premeds take, but the medical schools won't know/care). I also got a B+ in Calculus II (I took the harder class instead of general Calculus II, but again, med schools won't know/care). Even though the rest of my classes are A's, I am still very hopeless.

I'm also hopeless because I have minimal research experience whereas many of the premed have already published papers. I have even less clincal experience.

Right now I just don't feel like studying for the MCAT since I figure I won't get in anyway so why bother wasting the time, might as well be doing something else...

PS: Do you think med school consider your undergrad. school when you apply? I am attending a private school that's ranked in the top 30 of USNEWS National Universities. I passed on the opportunity to go to Berkeley for this private school. Did I make the right choice?

Thanks

Sorry, based on the level of neuroticism, you don't stand a chance at US MD/DO. As someone mentioned earlier, your only hope is Caribbean.

This post makes me feel bad. I didnt even get a B in OChem 2. You should consider yourself lucky. Look within yourself. Be confident in yourself bc from what I can tell your GPA is still relatively high.