I just went unmatched this cycle and at a loss. Help?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stilly20

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
USMD at a mid-tier school with a reputable anesthesia program. 23x/25x, last quartile. MSPE had no red flags (I read it) and had generally really positive feedback. Admittedly, my CV was somewhat lackluster with only 1 mid-author poster that I didn't even present in a surgical field and only standard volunteering at the school's free clinic with no leadership to show for. I also had a minor leadership role in my school's interest group. I had 2 gas letters and 1 very solid letter from IM attending. 60+ apps with 9 IV, and 14 total ranks at mostly mid-tier programs. I did match at a TY program affiliated with my school that gives ample elective time and per the interview, seems very intent on helping unmatched applicants in anything they need.

Due to my partial match, I was only eligible for advanced spots in SOAP, which were only 35 in random fields. I applied to 16 programs but in a research-heavy specialty and never heard from any, which went as expected. I understand that matching again into gas will be harder, but not impossible and per talks with my home PD, I interviewed well but a stronger CV would have bumped me up. I would imagine this was the same sentiment everywhere I interviewed, where I was good but not great.

My real question is:
- What can I do from here until the end of September to know that I did everything I could to match the 2nd time around? I still have time to do more rotations at my school, whatever that's worth.
- What electives should I be prioritizing during the first few months of my TY year and what letters would be useful?
- It would be very difficult to start and finish a project in time and with the intern year coming up, but what type of research would help or other extracurriculars to make me stand out?

Hoping to hear some success stories from people who went through this and would appreciate any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

If you’re set on anesthesia, apply to R1 spots. Prioritize an away anesthesia elective at a place near you that has R1 spots.

Reactions: 1 users
I always recommend applying to all programs in the desired specialty and be selective after interviewing, no matter the cost. Statistically, the more interviews the more likely you are to match. Work hard and show interest at your home program.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you’re set on anesthesia, apply to R1 spots. Prioritize an away anesthesia elective at a place near you that has R1 spots.
There are definitely a few so I'll be looking into that. Thank you!

USMD at a mid-tier school with a reputable anesthesia program. 23x/25x, last quartile. MSPE had no red flags (I read it) and had generally really positive feedback. Admittedly, my CV was somewhat lackluster with only 1 mid-author poster that I didn't even present in a surgical field and only standard volunteering at the school's free clinic with no leadership to show for. I also had a minor leadership role in my school's interest group. I had 2 gas letters and 1 very solid letter from IM attending. 60+ apps with 9 IV, and 14 total ranks at mostly mid-tier programs. I did match at a TY program affiliated with my school that gives ample elective time and per the interview, seems very intent on helping unmatched applicants in anything they need.

Due to my partial match, I was only eligible for advanced spots in SOAP, which were only 35 in random fields. I applied to 16 programs but in a research-heavy specialty and never heard from any, which went as expected. I understand that matching again into gas will be harder, but not impossible and per talks with my home PD, I interviewed well but a stronger CV would have bumped me up. I would imagine this was the same sentiment everywhere I interviewed, where I was good but not great.

My real question is:
- What can I do from here until the end of September to know that I did everything I could to match the 2nd time around? I still have time to do more rotations at my school, whatever that's worth.
- What electives should I be prioritizing during the first few months of my TY year and what letters would be useful?
- It would be very difficult to start and finish a project in time and with the intern year coming up, but what type of research would help or other extracurriculars to make me stand out?

Hoping to hear some success stories from people who went through this and would appreciate any advice.
Hi, if you had PM'd me prior to the Match I would have recommended at least a dozen bottom tier programs in addition to mid tier programs so you would have a good plan for a competitive specialty. Yes, the specialty is actually competitive again and your stats are mediocre, not horrible, but just very average. Normally, average is "good enough" for a mid tier program but things have really gotten tough the past 2 years to the point one needs to apply to programs where your stats exceed, not just meet, the average accepted applicant.

Your best strategy is to try to get to know your TY's program Anesthesiology director and express the desire for a position. I think another rotation at your school can't hurt but also plan on a month during your elective time as a PGY-1 if possible. This month may be very valuable in securing additional letters and recommendations for a position.

Since the OP decided on a TY rather than a preliminary IM year his/her options are limited for PGY-2. I strongly recommend that he/she consider another specialty like EM for PGY-2 followed by a fellowship in Pain or Critical Care. I think it's better to "move on" with your career than stagnant and waste precious years. Worst case scenario the OP does EM then Anesthesia if he/she still feels the desire.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi, if you had PM'd me prior to the Match I would have recommended at least a dozen bottom tier programs in addition to mid tier programs so you would have a good plan for a competitive specialty. Yes, the specialty is actually competitive again and your stats are mediocre, not horrible, but just very average. Normally, average is "good enough" for a mid tier program but things have really gotten tough the past 2 years to the point one needs to apply to programs where your stats exceed, not just meet, the average accepted applicant.

Your best strategy is to try to get to know your TY's program Anesthesiology director and express the desire for a position. I think another rotation at your school can't hurt but also plan on a month during your elective time as a PGY-1 if possible. This month may be very valuable in securing additional letters and recommendations for a position.

Since the OP decided on a TY rather than a preliminary IM year his/her options are limited for PGY-2. I strongly recommend that he/she consider another specialty like EM for PGY-2 followed by a fellowship in Pain or Critical Care. I think it's better to "move on" with your career than stagnant and waste precious years. Worst case scenario the OP does EM then Anesthesia if he/she still feels the desire.

Woefully aware of how competitive it is now, and this is despite some faculty at my school looking at my application and only recommending 40 programs to apply to so I was definitely misled. Also, my school's PD basically said I'm no longer eligible to go there as it would be a funding conflict (which I think may be bs? from my understanding, TY programs actually don't deduct funding years). My TY is also at a satellite hospital where none of the faculty are involved in the residency process.

I'm going to reach out to local programs with R spots to express interest now and possibly rotate there as a student before graduating or maybe as an intern. I will absolutely dual apply though, likely into EM and hopefully, I can secure a letter to use for that app and my anesthesia app.

Is there anything that I can do for my CV from now until then? What have people in my shoes done to stand out in ~6 months? I am realistic about my possible outcomes but I refuse to let it go without a fight.

By all means don't give up yet, but be realistic that this is an uphill battle. I agree about doing 1-2 months at "away" institutions with R positions. I recommend less competitive programs if that's at all possible. Second, dual apply for EM and Anesthesiology programs so you can move on with your career.

My real question is:

The very, very first thing you need to do is stop referring to the speciality of anesthesiology as "gas."

• Haha
Reactions: 13 users
I’m sorry you’re going through this. I would imagine you are quite surprised by this given your stats, number of interviews, and no red flags. But something doesn’t fit right with me. How did your home program not rank you high enough to match there at least? You have to be honest with yourself there and really ask for the feedback. Anesthesia is not a research heavy field nor does any one really care about extracurriculars. I understand it has gotten a lot more competitive but still, 14 ranks and having a home institution and having very good step scores 230s and 250s, according to charting the outcomes you’d be literally 99% chance matching. I know you probably know this already but you have to really think about what else could have gone wrong here.

Since your TY is associated with your school, they should be very open for you to reapply next year as you have plenty of elective time. Unless for some reason they just don’t like you… but I am sure you could prove them wrong by being a stellar TY.

I really don’t mean to be mean or harsh. Best of luck.

Reactions: 2 users
I’m sorry you’re going through this. I would imagine you are quite surprised by this given your stats, number of interviews, and no red flags. But something doesn’t fit right with me. How did your home program not rank you high enough to match there at least? You have to be honest with yourself there and really ask for the feedback. Anesthesia is not a research heavy field nor does any one really care about extracurriculars. I understand it has gotten a lot more competitive but still, 14 ranks and having a home institution and having very good step scores 230s and 250s, according to charting the outcomes you’d be literally 99% chance matching. I know you probably know this already but you have to really think about what else could have gone wrong here.

Since your TY is associated with your school, they should be very open for you to reapply next year as you have plenty of elective time. Unless for some reason they just don’t like you… but I am sure you could prove them wrong by being a stellar TY.

I really don’t mean to be mean or harsh. Best of luck.
I plan on meeting with a PD at another program I interviewed at so he can also give me the autopsy report. I hear ya, I am also really shocked here but I'm coming to terms with it - life doesn't end here. My class had close to 20 applicants with at least 80% of them ranking our home program #1 so its possible they just liked the other people better and couldn't possibly take all of us.

there is a thread that literally says "sad state of affairs for EM" 🤣

i agree with the others. double down on your efforts and reapply all over again to anesthesia next year if you have to. PGY 1, PGY 2 spots. apply broadly.

I never understood why people don't maximize their chances by applying to every reasonable program available. so what if it's a couple thousand extra? better to front load and stack your chips then to wonder "should I have applied more?"

I say this as someone who loves anesthesiology: do IM, do a procedural subspecialty, hire PAs to run your clinic like everyone else, profit.

Members don't see this ad :)
I say this as someone who loves anesthesiology: do IM, do a procedural subspecialty, hire PAs to run your clinic like everyone else, profit.
That's why a PGY-1 year in IM is superior to a TY. The OP needs options and preliminary year in IM gives him/her more options. IMHO, the OP has a better chance of getting a PY-2 year in IM than matching in Anesthesiology. I think IM is superior to EM but that is my opinion.

if you set on anesthseiology, you need to apply broadly. at least with a few 'safetys' the one i used for my safety was my home program who pretty much guaranteed us a spot if we wanted.

also with that many interviews and no acceptance at mid tier. you need to maybe practice interviewing skills

As an anesthesia reapplicant I will absolutely be applying to everything outside of the top 15-20 programs. But why IM over EM? In EM, the income ceiling definitely seems higher without lengthy ass notes and the occasional action moments, all reasons why I wanted anesthesia. If I wanted to work 2 shifts a week in EM, I could definitely make more than I would for that amount of time working in IM. I also abhor clinics and truly do not see myself having the energy to gun for a competitive subspecialty in IM.

OP - you might consider getting yourself to the next Anesthesiology annual meeting in SF and submitting a couple abstracts... the submission period is open now through May 17.

One thought is that might be coming off sub-optimally during interviews. It would help if someone could give you honest feedback on that and you might want to practice if theres an issue.

I agree also that IM>EM for me personally, but perhaps not all comers. But even still there are other good options post TY. One could always do psychiatry (a golden field IMO) or PM&R for example. Or there's occupational med or preventative med - go become the CMO for a big corporation and make bank without taking call.

This is all frustrating but you're a doctor soon and you'll ultimately be fine.

Last I heard EM is ruined and they had >500 open spots this year. A lot of them feel burnt out as well. IM over EM if you ask me. Worst case, you can go from IM to anesthesia because fellowship is three years anyways. Or do A fellowship - any there’s quite a few that do well.

Well

Not to be that guy

But advising a bottom-quartile med student who didn't match to just do IM and a (competitive) subspecialty ... seems rather optimistic. Sure, landing an IM spot somewhere might be possible, but the leap from a scramble-caliber IM program to one of those lucrative procedural IM subspecialties is a bigger leap than simply matching into anesthesiology was in the first place. Moot point in any case, as he'll be a TY intern not IM.

Well

Not to be that guy

But advising a bottom-quartile med student who didn't match to just do IM and a (competitive) subspecialty ... seems rather optimistic. Sure, landing an IM spot somewhere might be possible, but the leap from a scramble-caliber IM program to one of those lucrative procedural IM subspecialties is a bigger leap than simply matching into anesthesiology was in the first place. Moot point in any case, as he'll be a TY intern not IM.

If I'm not mistaken, I think most US MD IM residents with a step of 23x typically match somewhere for cardiology, even if it's an HCA program or something. I believe pulm/crit is about the same. GI is insanely difficult for all-comers.

That being said, I would've also expected OP to match in anesthesiology, which didn't happen.

I admit I did miss the bottom quartile detail.

As someone who has been in rank list meetings the last few years (but not during THIS application season, which sounds to have been notably more competitive than even recent years past), this, plus any interview deficits that we obviously can’t assess here, are what did you in. When I looked at someone with good enough scores, bottom quartile class rank, and no real involvement in the field, my overall impression would have been “lazy”.

You have one major advantage at this point, and that is the opportunity to continue in a place where people already know you. Unless you’ve made a negative impression with respect to work ethic, your jobs 1, 2, and 3, are to let everyone in your home department know that you are dead-set on securing an R2 position in anesthesiology, and that you’ll do whatever it takes to get there. You have the opportunity to demonstrate commitment and drive. Do those things and I believe you’ll get an R2 spot, ideally at your home program.

My real question is:

Hey Stilly20,

I certainly empathize with how you feel right now, but perhaps I can give you or anyone else out there in a similar boat some things to think about.

First, try and do as comprehensive an examination of what happened this year as you can. Surprisingly so you spend your time between now and September addressing things that got you declined for an interview or resulted in being ranked lower than necessary to match. Things like your grades and board scores are what they are. But how did you really interview? There is a big difference between having a great interview and simply not having a bad one. How good was your personal statement? Do you know if there were any hidden landmines in your letters?

With respect to the first few months of your TY, it doesn't matter what rotations you are on (more on the marginal utility of additional anesthesia electives later). The singular most important thing is going to be what your TY program director says about you. So if you can, try and rotate on his/her service and impress the hell out of them with the quality of your work. Believe it or not, you actually have an advantage over every MS4 applicant in next year's cycle. You will actually be able to demonstrate what kind of resident you are going to be. You are going to be able to demonstrate how committed you are to learning, to taking care of patients, to being a good co-worker. A letter from your PD that says that you are the best intern in your class goes a long way to make people forget about your grades. A number of years ago...we had a prelim surgery resident from our institution's surgery department apply to us after a failed match. Her fellow residents actually sought us out telling us how great a co-worker they were and that they were really hoping we'd keep her so they could keep working with her in the future. Guess what we ended up doing?

Doing a bunch of research only will help you if you are applying to research requiring programs who told you that was what tripped you up. You didn't do a whole lot of research during medical school, and you don't have the time to do anything with much scope. I'd forget about it. As others have correctly said, our specialty is not one where research is a heavy requirement. Even the "best" programs in the country accept applicants with projects they basically did just to make sure that section on ERAS wasn't empty. If research isn't something you want to make part of your actual career...just checking the box isn't going to help you.

As for extracurriculars. Look at it this way. Some people say professionalism is a reflection of your character based on what you do when nobody is looking. Application wise, your extracurricular activities show someone who you are based on the things you spend your free time doing. Sure...you could find a shadowing opportunity in anesthesia and get a letter saying you did a good job. You already did that in medical school, and since you are applying again, you being motivated and doing a good job would be the least surprising thing ever. Additionally...I will probably have at least a hundred applications from people who did that too. So assuming there is nothing wrong with your current letters and experience, it doesn't help you. But...let's say you are an excellent musician. And you decide to spend your free time playing music at a retirement home and giving lessons. Not once...but every week for the next 8 months. Both to entertain them, and as a way to cope with the stress of residency and reapplication. And then you spend time during your interviews and your personal statement talking about how that experience has made you more empathetic, helped give you a better understanding of others, given you a perspective that will make you a better physician. THAT...people will notice. My suggestion would be to take something that you already like to do and find a way to use that to both help others and engage in personal growth.

There will be some other things you will need to look at come ERAS season. But cross those bridges when you get to them. This soon after Match, I know everything is raw and the road ahead feels so very long. But remember that there are 100+ R-spots that fill every year and many R-candidates that match into categorical spots. So please know that this is something that is still very attainable if you really want it. Feel free to DM me if you have more specific things to discuss.

Last edited:
Hey Stilly20,

I certainly empathize with how you feel right now, but perhaps I can give you or anyone else out there in a similar boat some things to think about.

First, try and do as comprehensive an examination of what happened this year as you can. Surprisingly so you spend your time between now and September addressing things that got you declined for an interview or resulted in being ranked lower than necessary to match. Things like your grades and board scores are what they are. But how did you really interview? There is a big difference between having a great interview and simply not having a bad one. How good was your personal statement? Do you know if there were any hidden landmines in your letters?

With respect to the first few months of your TY, it doesn't matter what rotations you are on (more on the marginal utility of additional anesthesia electives later). The singular most important thing is going to be what your TY program director says about you. So if you can, try and rotate on his/her service and impress the hell out of them with the quality of your work. Believe it or not, you actually have an advantage over every MS4 applicant in next year's cycle. You will actually be able to demonstrate what kind of resident you are going to be. You are going to be able to demonstrate how committed you are to learning, to taking care of patients, to being a good co-worker. A letter from your PD that says that you are the best intern in your class goes a long way to make people forget about your grades. A number of years ago...we had a prelim surgery resident from our institution's surgery department apply to us after a failed match. Her fellow residents actually sought us out telling us how great a co-worker they were and that they were really hoping we'd keep her so they could keep working with her in the future. Guess what we ended up doing?

Doing a bunch of research only will help you if you are applying to research requiring programs who told you that was what tripped you up. You didn't do a whole lot of research during medical school, and you don't have the time to do anything with much scope. I'd forget about it. As others have correctly said, our specialty is not one where research is a heavy requirement. Even the "best" programs in the country accept applicants with projects they basically did just to make sure that section on ERAS wasn't empty. If research isn't something you want to make part of your actual career...just checking the box isn't going to help you.

As for extracurriculars. Look at it this way. Some people say professionalism is a reflection of your character based on what you do when nobody is looking. Application wise, your extracurricular activities show someone who you are based on the things you spend your free time doing. Sure...you could find a shadowing opportunity in anesthesia and get a letter saying you did a good job. You already did that in medical school, and since you are applying again, you being motivated and doing a good job would be the least surprising thing ever. Additionally...I will probably have at least a hundred applications from people who did that too. So assuming there is nothing wrong with your current letters and experience, it doesn't help you. But...let's say you are an excellent musician. And you decide to spend your free time playing music at a retirement home and giving lessons. Not once...but every week for the next 8 months. Both to entertain them, and as a way to cope with the stress of residency and reapplication. And then you spend time during your interviews and your personal statement talking about how that experience has made you more empathetic, helped give you a better understanding of others, given you a perspective that will make you a better physician. THAT...people will notice. My suggestion would be to take something that you already like to do and find a way to use that to both help others and engage in personal growth.

There will be some other things you will need to look at come ERAS season. But cross those bridges when you get to them. This soon after Match, I know everything is raw and the road ahead feels so very long. But remember that there are about 350 R-spots that fill every year and many R-candidates that match into categorical spots. So please know that this is something that is still very attainable if you really want it. Feel free to DM me if you have more specific things to discuss.

Just one minor point. Looks like there were only 137 R positions offered this year.

Hey Stilly20,

There will be some other things you will need to look at come ERAS season. But cross those bridges when you get to them. This soon after Match, I know everything is raw and the road ahead feels so very long. But remember that there are 100+ R-spots that fill every year and many R-candidates that match into categorical spots. So please know that this is something that is still very attainable if you really want it. Feel free to DM me if you have more specific things to discuss.
Thank you so much for these encouraging words! It truly means a lot you took the time to write this out. Although I work well in social situations and do not consider myself awkward by any means, I think my answers were somewhat lackluster and less prepared than I wanted them to be. I know there is definitely room for improvement as zoom fatigue took its toll on me toward the end. This round, I will have my answers very well prepared with well-thought-out scenarios as the behavioral questions were my struggle.

I will do my best to do some sort of scholarly activity but you are right, research is by no means my passion and something I believe interviewers can see right through me. I genuinely coasted by medical school learning as much medicine as I could while using all my free time to simply hang out, just having normal interests (traveling, working out, going out with friends, video games, TV, etc.) with nothing salient enough to write about. I do not believe this makes me any less capable of practicing medicine as I truly am passionate about this field but decided to enjoy my life outside of medicine to the fullest. With so many applicants who invested their free time in noteworthy activities, I am not surprised I was looked over. Again, thank you and I will reach out if I have more questions.