I might have failed naplex

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iloveclementine

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was reading the threads on sdn forum, and one person commented that it is easier to get cancer than fail the naplex. I laughed at that.

Well, I think I only need to get cancer to break the odds of failing the naplex. I took my naplex today and I feel like I utterly failed. The calculation was a mess. I am going to get cancer and fail the naplex at the same time.

**** Mylife. **** myself. I'm a failure with all possible bad lucks. My registration button is grayed out but it says att is generated; which, according to the rumor, means I failed.

I just wanted to let you guys know that a total ***** truly exists. I wanna die. I'm so sick of myself. Why did I choose pharmacy school..

Update 7/20: I passed!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I can understand your feeling of pain and nervousness as I feel the same. I am gonna take Naplex but several times rescheduled. How many calculations questions you got and what were the major topics.

I understand your feeling. I feel the same way after I took mine. Don't pay too much attention on the button. You just took it today. It's still early. But it's not worth dying. Some people have better memories and some don't. It might take longer for us to pass the tests but we will! Message me if you want to study together after you officially find out your score.

On top of that people have been asking me what's on the exam. I mean, if you want to know, there is a pre-test you can pay and take.

Felt the same as you. I never failed throughout my pharmacy school only to fail the Naplex. But hey, life goes on.....currently studying harder than the previous attempt keeping my faith that this time will be my time. Some people just skip the questions while preparing for questions. That's a criminal mistake. I was one of them....

Members don't see this ad :)
I just took it today also, I 100% feel like I failed also. Some questions I was just being stupid on, like I forgot what the lower end cut off was for potassium because it's usually given, thus getting the treatment wrong. My button is greyed out and say ATT generated also, I live in one of the states where they have online score reports. I need to know ASAP....

I truly can't retake this exam, I don't know anyone who has failed yet and I'm probably going to be the first.

I just took it just now too. I also feel like I'll be the first among the people I know that failed too.
I took the pre-naplex late nast night and somehow I did much worse than 2 weeks ago. Never do that pre-naplex.

Same, I thought the NAPLEX was waaaayyyy harder than the practice. I got 100 on that, and this time around I was *hopefully* giving educated guesses.

The button will stay grey for about 2 days before possibly changing to orange.

Many test takers feel they would fail, including me, but it turned out we all passed. Don't be desperate. Find something to do to avoid thinking about the test questions. I know it is hard but please do something to keep you busy.

Reactions: 1 user
Shouldn't naplex be a minimal competency test?

It sure seems to be getting harder than it used to be and it feels like you need to be a human dictionary to pass it.

None of the questions I got are easy. Most of it was case based. I need to memorize all the guidelines and contraindications to choose the best answer.

So if I just want to dispense on Walg, wtf do I need all this when i can just look it up.

Some people got around 50% math while I only had like 20%.

Questions are so random. Someone can get a lot of easy questions while another gets very hard questions.
Still need the same percentages to pass...How is that fair?

I think almost everyone feels they failed after they take the NAPLEX. I knew I did. I cried a lot! I did the same after the MPJE. LOL. :) I wouldn't stress over it until the scores actually come out because more than likely, you passed.

And to be honest, even if you don't pass, I wouldn't think poorly of it. I think they ask you the most obscure facts. It definitely wasn't easy to answer. I think all those who say the test is easy must have took it a while back. It had its challenges. The test is suppose to be getting harder (I think because people keep making fun of it). LOL. :D

I was reading the threads on sdn forum, and one person commented that it is easier to get cancer than fail the naplex. I laughed at that.

Well, I think I only need to get cancer to break the odds of failing the naplex. I took my naplex today and I feel like I utterly failed. The calculation was a mess. I am going to get cancer and fail the naplex at the same time.

**** Mylife. **** myself. I'm a failure with all possible bad lucks. My registration button is grayed out but it says att is generated; which, according to the rumor, means I failed.

I just wanted to let you guys know that a total ***** truly exists. I wanna die. I'm so sick of myself. Why did I choose pharmacy school...

Iloveclementine,

congrats on swimming to the other end of the pool. It's DONE! Give yourself a hug! I read your post and wanted to comment on a couple of things that will hopefully bring you some peace of mind. You won't know that you didn't pass until you know that you didn't pass. LET THE FAT LADY SING! She often sings PASSED!
The button is still greyed out because your registration is not "closed". When your registration changes to "closed", that means that NABP has uploaded your score to your state's board of pharmacy server. I talked to someone at NABP who assured me the whole grey/orange button rumor is just that, a rumor.
Last but not least, I wanted to share the fact that just recently, I helped someone review for the exam. This person took the pre-NAPLEX and got a 40 something on it and then weeks later got a score in the 50s. So I asked to see what kind of concepts this person had missed on both pre-NAPLEX exams. One of the concepts this person missed was the typical A1C goal for your garden variety young, relatively healthy person with diabetes. I know a 7% just popped in your mind. Well, this person responded 1%. You read that right... 1%. Additionally, when asked for the enzyme that metabolizes warfarin, this person responded CYP2C19. Needless, to say I suggested getting the Rxprep book + the quizbank. Instead, this person only purchased the book and did not go through the entire book. This person read maybe 15 main chapters. The catch here is that this person is very good at math. Well... against all odds, after a few weeks of reading a few chapters, this person scored an 80.
This is all to say that I truly doubt you did not pass. So find yourself something to do for the next two days and be good to yourself. It's summer! And please, let us know when you know you passed. :)

Reactions: 1 users
I think almost everyone feels they failed after they take the NAPLEX. I knew I did. I cried a lot! I did the same after the MPJE. LOL. :) I wouldn't stress over it until the scores actually come out because more than likely, you passed.

And to be honest, even if you don't pass, I wouldn't think poorly of it. I think they ask you the most obscure facts. It definitely wasn't easy to answer. I think all those who say the test is easy must have took it a while back. It had its challenges. The test is suppose to be getting harder (I think because people keep making fun of it). LOL. :D

Strawberry606 is right. Has any of you read the statement NABP released July 12th @ 4:20pm? The NAPLEX will be 250 questions in 2016 and they are considering making it pass/fail. Aren't we all lucky to be able to take the 185 question beast now?

Last edited:
I am with you OP. I have been waiting a week and still no results (my state doesn't participate in online score posting). The waiting is making me physically ill. I did well in school but I felt like the biggest ***** during that test. Basic things I should have known seemed lost in my brain :(. I have no hope at all at this point.

Thank you guys. I honestly didn't think that I would get this much of encouragement. I found one of the threads of barely passing naplex. My prenaplex score was barely passing... so I'm reading that thread over and over like a bible lol. What a paranoid I am.

So be it. If I studied for a long time and didn't pass, it's good that I found out now. Yes right. I'm not that smart. I'm just a little behind and my pace is slow. But now I can change it. It is a small part of my life. Another 3 months is nothing in my 80 some years of my life. Yes, your friends will know, your school will know. But so what. They don't live my life. It's my life, my choice, my mistake, dont live other people's life. I can always learn something from mistakes, and mistakes are the best teacher. Yes, some people don't fail, yes no one fails naplex with almost 99.9% passing rate. But whatever. It can either be 100% or 0%. Rates don't matter it's about how I do. If I don't pass, then the rate is 0%.

If I pass, then I should be alert for myself because I don't want to feel like this ever. I should work harder to be better prepared for whatever I do in the future.

Thank you all for making me stay positive regardless of results.

I still have a sudden burst of depression almost every hour, but I'm going to wait...let's see. the results are already submitted. Nothing I can change by worrying more. I have a slightest hope, but I'm trying to suppress it because I'll be dissapointed even more. Or maybe, I should just think that I passed. Because I did. Wtf? The auto correct just changed "I did" to "I didn't". **** you Siri. You know nothing.

The only thing I am concerned is about my job. I am worried that I might not be able to keep the job if I fail. Oh well....:dead:

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
VERY GOOD LUCK TO YOU ALL.
I was wondering if anyone want to sell their Quiz bank access.
Mine got expired recently.
Thanks guys.

Hey OP. There is hope. I finally got my score today and I passed. I felt like crap coming out of that exam and didn't think that I could have even come close to passing but I did! I am going to cross my fingers for you and hope for the best!

Hey OP. There is hope. I finally got my score today and I passed. I felt like crap coming out of that exam and didn't think that I could have even come close to passing but I did! I am going to cross my fingers for you and hope for the best!

Woosiecg! Congratulations!!!
Would you care to tell us a bit more? Without telling us your score (or you can if you feel comfortable with that), can you tell us if your distress was inversely proportional to your score? i.e, you thought you had failed so hard and then did very well?
Best.

Woosiecg! Congratulations!!!
Would you care to tell us a bit more? Without telling us your score (or you can if you feel comfortable with that), can you tell us if your distress was inversely proportional to your score? i.e, you thought you had failed so hard and then did very well?
Best.
Apotheker2015
I did way better than I anticipated. I was just hoping to get above the 75 but I was above 110. I felt like a total ***** coming out of the test. I didn't finish the last 4 questions, the entire experience was a nightmare but oddly it turned out well in the end. Good luck!

Apotheker2015
I did way better than I anticipated. I was just hoping to get above the 75 but I was above 110. I felt like a total ***** coming out of the test. I didn't finish the last 4 questions, the entire experience was a nightmare but oddly it turned out well in the end. Good luck!

CONGRATS! And thank you for sharing your score. I think it is good for all of us to hear how well you did and that having one's stomach upside down after the exam is part of the rite of passage.
I felt the same way after I finished the MPJE. And then I passed just fine. NAPLEX is next for me. I will take it in a week and a half or so. Can you share with us what resources you used?
1. Rxprep? If you did, did you go through the entire book and 3,000 quizzes?
2. SDN calculations or only Rxprep calculations?
3. How long did you prepare for?

I apologize if you have answered these at one point or another on other threads already. It would just be very good for us to hear how you prepared.
Thanks!

CONGRATS! And thank you for sharing your score. I think it is good for all of us to hear how well you did and that having one's stomach upside down after the exam is part of the rite of passage.
I felt the same way after I finished the MPJE. And then I passed just fine. NAPLEX is next for me. I will take it in a week and a half or so. Can you share with us what resources you used?
1. Rxprep? If you did, did you go through the entire book and 3,000 quizzes?
2. SDN calculations or only Rxprep calculations?
3. How long did you prepare for?

I apologize if you have answered these at one point or another on other threads already. It would just be very good for us to hear how you prepared.
Thanks!
1) I used RXPrep but I only got through most of the first half of the book (did do a few of the chapters) and then I glanced over the primary disease states, plus ID, HIV, ONC, seizures, gout and a few other random ones. I did the calculations in rxprep and all the calculations in the quiz bank. I did some of the primary chapters in the quiz bank along with bio stats also.
2) I skipped the SDN calculations because some didn't make too much sense to me and I didn't have anything that complicated. My biggest calculation problem is that they left a few of the tougher ones to the end and I was running out of time so I guessed random numbers on those and moved on (luckily they were not fill in the blanks at that point)
3) I believe I studied for about 2 weeks off an on

Hope that is helpful. I had a fair amount of natural medicine stuff (how they interact, what some can be used for) which I wasn't expecting. That was a chapter I skipped :(

congratulations! I am happy to hear that you passed. Taking the exam on Thursday is a torture. I have 4 days to wait. I hope I passed, too.

Don't worry about not passing, I felt the same way after my exam (except not immediately after, more like 6 hours later when every question started replaying back in my head haha)

The whole registration button color thing I don't think really applies anymore so I would not use that for any sort of base knowledge of whether you passed/failed

1) I used RXPrep but I only got through most of the first half of the book (did do a few of the chapters) and then I glanced over the primary disease states, plus ID, HIV, ONC, seizures, gout and a few other random ones. I did the calculations in rxprep and all the calculations in the quiz bank. I did some of the primary chapters in the quiz bank along with bio stats also.
2) I skipped the SDN calculations because some didn't make too much sense to me and I didn't have anything that complicated. My biggest calculation problem is that they left a few of the tougher ones to the end and I was running out of time so I guessed random numbers on those and moved on (luckily they were not fill in the blanks at that point)
3) I believe I studied for about 2 weeks off an on

Hope that is helpful. I had a fair amount of natural medicine stuff (how they interact, what some can be used for) which I wasn't expecting. That was a chapter I skipped :(

Woosiecg,

thank you for sharing more about your experience. I'm sure everyone else reading this appreciates it, as well. I scheduled mine for the 28th and my goal is to finish the entire book and the quizbank. We'll see. It's getting tiring. It's just so much stuff. I am, however, no longer studying to pass. The study-to-pass approach had me all anxious about the test. I have now shifted my approach and I am studying to increase the knowledge I have in my working memory. I'd like to have a lot more things handy and not have to look everything up. As soon as I shifted my mindset to this a couple of weeks ago my anxiety went away BUT that also slowed down my pace. I'll get there. I only have 10+ chapters left.

Thanks again for sharing!

just took mine today. only sure about maybe 20% of the stuff... LOL lets hope i passeddddd

Good luck fellow-last-Thursday NAPLEX takers, we should be getting our scores tomorrow if your state participates in online reporting. OH GOD

Good news----I passed the NAPLEX too!!! I don't know how to change the title. But I was sooooooooooo happy and relieved when I found out. I checked it around 10am as well. I wouldn't be able to know where to start studying again if I were to fail.....
God bless America. The world is still good to live.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Good news----I passed the NAPLEX too!!! I don't know how to change the title. But I was sooooooooooo happy and relieved when I found out. I checked it around 10am as well. I wouldn't be able to know where to start studying again if I were to fail.....

Obsession- My quiz bank already expired a few days before NAPLEX. Sorry I didn't tell you early enough. As you can see from my thread...I was pretty much devastated.

WOW! Congratulations a lot. Finally you are done now. I am really happy for you. As you passed Naplex now , would you please like to guide us what you actually encountered in Naplex, how many calculations, what important topics , and what do you think how you passed Naplex , did calculations save you or what important topics etc. Please provide some details. Once again hang out and have a party.

Iloveclementine,

congratulations! See...? You PASSED!!! This is awesome. Would care to share some words of wisdom and if did way better than you thought you would. Only share your score if comfortable. I'm sure everyone would appreciate here more about your experience.

Thanks!

10:30am EST
I passed the NAPLEX! I hope you guys did too!

Jkong!
Congratulations on passing! I knew you would! Would you care to share more about your experience? Was your fear of not passing completely unnecessary? i.e, was your score way higher than you thought it would be. Any words of wisdom will be appreciated it.
Thanks!

With regards to guiding on how to pass NAPLEX, I think this thread will help you have extra resources with good insights:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/passed-naplex-and-heres-how-i-did-it.1119242/
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/yes-yes-naplex-depression.1017614/

I would strongly recommend using Rx Prep book + quiz bank. I went over the entire RxPrep book. I think that's the reason that I was able to pass. My score wasn't that high. It's barely reaching the average, but hey, passing is passing is passing. When I did the quiz bank, I tried to cover every chapter except maybe drug interaction(not because it's not important, but because I just hated this chapter). I repeated the questions multiple times for dyslipidemia, HTN, angina, HF, calculations, anticoagulations, maybe some ID. I didn't have time to go through the entire HIV, oncology, and DM, so I hit the main points for each of them. I kept getting concepts mixed up, so I made my own notes, but it didn't really help (because it was too late....I would recommend creating 1/2- one page short summary of every chapter so that you can refer back to it quickly. You won't know everything, you just can't. Don't make more than two pages. That's another list of things that you have to look at other than 1000p rx prep book. I just know it from my experiences, you will be overwhelmed and there will be unnecessary stress) if you can review the whole book multiple times, that's fine, but for me, I was running out of time, and I didn't have time to look at the book second time around. I really really wished that I made my own summary notes for each chapter....it was my biggest regret right before the exam.

For calculations, I didn't do SDN questions. I quit after doing three problems or so. I thought it was an overkill compared to RxPrep quiz bank. But if you feel like you'd be better off doing it, I would tell you to do those questions.

I see threads that a lot of people only study for like 2 weeks or so. It's awesome they can do that. I'm such a paranoid that I couldn't do it, but if I were to be a less of a paranoid, I would have spent two weeks of intense studying on main disease states, then given myself a shot. The longer you prepare the more you will be worn out. You won't remember everything, but you have to remember on the top of your heads for common drugs that you would see every day in a retail, etc. I panicked a lot for the last two weeks and I couldn't study properly. I guess having a positive mind set and being able to control your emotion can play a big role in NAPLEX. I scoffed at this statement, but now I kind of get it. Remember, NAPLEX is a minimum competency exam. Even if you take the exam right now, you could probably pass the exam.

Wish you all the best with your exam and I hope to see you over the pharmacy counter as a registered pharmacist.

With regards to guiding on how to pass NAPLEX, I think this thread will help you have extra resources with good insights:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/passed-naplex-and-heres-how-i-did-it.1119242/
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/yes-yes-naplex-depression.1017614/

I would strongly recommend using Rx Prep book + quiz bank. I went over the entire RxPrep book. I think that's the reason that I was able to pass. My score wasn't that high. It's barely reaching the average, but hey, passing is passing is passing. When I did the quiz bank, I tried to cover every chapter except maybe drug interaction(not because it's not important, but because I just hated this chapter). I repeated the questions multiple times for dyslipidemia, HTN, angina, HF, calculations, anticoagulations, maybe some ID. I didn't have time to go through the entire HIV, oncology, and DM, so I hit the main points for each of them. I kept getting concepts mixed up, so I made my own notes, but it didn't really help (because it was too late....I would recommend creating 1/2- one page short summary of every chapter so that you can refer back to it quickly. You won't know everything, you just can't. Don't make more than two pages. That's another list of things that you have to look at other than 1000p rx prep book. I just know it from my experiences, you will be overwhelmed and there will be unnecessary stress) if you can review the whole book multiple times, that's fine, but for me, I was running out of time, and I didn't have time to look at the book second time around. I really really wished that I made my own summary notes for each chapter....it was my biggest regret right before the exam.

For calculations, I didn't do SDN questions. I quit after doing three problems or so. I thought it was an overkill compared to RxPrep quiz bank. But if you feel like you'd be better off doing it, I would tell you to do those questions.

I see threads that a lot of people only study for like 2 weeks or so. It's awesome they can do that. I'm such a paranoid that I couldn't do it, but if I were to be a less of a paranoid, I would have spent two weeks of intense studying on main disease states, then given myself a shot. The longer you prepare the more you will be worn out. You won't remember everything, but you have to remember on the top of your heads for common drugs that you would see every day in a retail, etc. I panicked a lot for the last two weeks and I couldn't study properly. I guess having a positive mind set and being able to control your emotion can play a big role in NAPLEX. I scoffed at this statement, but now I kind of get it. Remember, NAPLEX is a minimum competency exam. Even if you take the exam right now, you could probably pass the exam.

Wish you all the best with your exam and I hope to see you over the pharmacy counter as a registered pharmacist.

Iloveclementine,

thank you for such a thoughtful and detailed post. We all appreciate it. I am glad that you pointed out a very basic fact that we all often forget. EVERYONE is different. There are people who show up for the NAPLEX without even looking at math and pass with a 120. That is certainly not the case for me. We each have to figure out what we need to do to pass. My experience with the MPJE is a great example. I kept hearing how some people studied for 3-7 days and scored high 80s and low 90s. Well, I quickly had to be honest with myself and figured out that I would need two weeks of dedicated studying to pass. I was one of those who got into pharmacy school without any pharmacy experience. I literally did not know what lisinopril was. Nor had I ever heard it because at home all I had ever seen were multivitamins. I simply had a solid GPA , extensive research experience and killed the PCAT. This is all to say I did not have a sense for what you do and don't do at a pharmacy. I also did the bare minimum of internship hours required by my state. Therefore, I knew I had to invest in learning the ins and outs of the law. I recognize I had a deficiency and studied. After all was said and done, I passed. I passed the MPJE with an 80. What would have happened had I not been honest with myself and followed suit and done what everyone else did? Well, I would have failed the MPJE.
Thanks again for taking the time to share with us more about your experience. You seem much more calm now. But I want to hear some excitement! Be good to yourself and celebrate your accomplishment! This is huge! Take a moment to contemplate your success!

Best.

I passed as well, very relieved. I got 100 on the pre-NAPLEX and an 88 on the NAPLEX, not bad for barely studying over a whole month.

I have 17 days left on my RXprep quiz bank if anyone would like to purchase it, I unfortunately didn't see someone's email till today so I was unable to give it to them when they needed it.

Last edited:
Wasn't quite sure where to post this but I just took my NAPLEX on friday and found out I passed today! I was pretty much like iloveclementine throughout the whole weekend.. sad.. anger. depression... but everything turned out okay.

I saw a lot of posts and many people also told me that Pre-NAPLEX was a good indicator of your NAPLEX score and I would just like to say that I disagree.
I took the PreNAPLEX 7 days before my exam and got a 72. Took the NAPLEX and got a 97. The reason for that is the content. Stuff on the Pre-NAPLEX was just stuff I hadn't looked at.. and maybe I got lucky on the NAPLEX and my questions just happened to be stuff I studied. Who knows. It truly is a random test.. there might be repeated disease states but that's really it. The PreNAPLEX questions only give you an idea of the question format and maybe give you an idea of what to look for patient case-wise but other than that there was nothing that could've helped me. Also there are only 2 versions of the Pre-NAPLEX so no need to take it 3 times. In my opinion, if you wanted to take the PreNAPLEX at all, just take it once. No need to spend more money a second time.

Good luck to all future NAPLEX takers!! I promise you will feel like crap walking out of the exam and maybe during.. but 2 days later, you will realize all your hard work has paid off :)

took it on saturday and just got my score today. passed!!!studied for about 3 weeks. I used rxprep and Q bank. I went through about 90% of the book. For my naplex, no questions on HTN, diabetes, or HF. calculations mostly on TPN, drip rate and calculate the dose for chemo ( BSA was given). more ID than i expected (most of them in pt case format, some stand alone question as well). Some MOA on HIV drugs. Good luck to all future Naplex takers!!

I studied a lot for the NAPLEX. Rx prep, rx quiz bank and skimmed 120 questions. That was plenty for me to pass.

Last edited:
Passed Naplex as well!! Thank the Lord! I studied for a month and a half with Rxprep Book and online quizzes. Def helped! Good luck everyone!

Destinedforgreatness2015,

CONGRATULATIONS!!! Would you share a little bit more about your experience? Did you score higher than you thought right after you left the exam? Only share your score if you are comfortable. Any words of wisdom for us?

Thanks!

CONGRATULATIONS!!! Would you share a little bit more about your experience? Did you score higher than you thought right after you left the exam? Only share your score if you are comfortable. Any words of wisdom for us?

Thanks!

Sure thing. I made 10 points higher on naplex than I did on my prenaplex. I studied the book almost in its entirety once, although I wish I could have read the book twice. Tried to finish every online quiz on rxprep as well. Practiced calculations for a couple of days straight. I took my prenaplex in school before graduation. Most of my test was on psych, epilepsy, hiv, biostats, etc. Be prepared for anything!

Sure thing. I made 10 points higher on naplex than I did on my prenaplex. I studied the book almost in its entirety once, although I wish I could have read the book twice. Tried to finish every online quiz on rxprep as well. Practiced calculations for a couple of days straight. I took my prenaplex in school before graduation. Most of my test was on psych, epilepsy, hiv, biostats, etc. Be prepared for anything!

thank you for taking a second to respond. Celebrate your success! I am taking mine next tuesday! Finished the Rxprep book and the entire quizbank once and now I am going through it again. We will see!

Best.

Last edited:
Jkong!
Congratulations on passing! I knew you would! Would you care to share more about your experience? Was your fear of not passing completely unnecessary? i.e, was your score way higher than you thought it would be. Any words of wisdom will be appreciated it.
Thanks!

So I guess in comparison to many posters, I was a slacker :( So I hope to many of you, I can help calm your nerves?

I took the Pre-NAPLEX 2 weeks before my exam and scored a 72. This is without active studying and already graduated for about 2 months.

I had the 2014 RxPrep book and started looking at it 2 weeks before the exam. However, I got so busy that I didn't really have a chance to dive in. I had one day of good studying at Starbucks, but that lasted 4 hours because it was too cold and the hard chairs were getting uncomfortable. But I got through a good 10-15 chapters that day, just reading and highlighting through. Overall, in RxPrep I got up to Chapter 31.

The night before my exam, I took the Pre-NAPLEX. I scored a 45. ===> FREAKED OUT

I looked at SDN 120 calculations that night. I tried the problems and was overwhelmed because they're much more difficult without studying calculations. So I went back to RxPrep calculations chapter and my university's NAPLEX calculation review. Studied until 2 am the night before the exam.

Morning of the exam, I did SDN 120 calculations and looked at the answers. I also worked on practice problems from my first-year calculations course.

Went into the exam a nervous wreak. My passion is HIV and the first 20 questions were HIV. I think I just got lucky. Stayed calm during the exam and just really thought it through. I took the 10 minute break and I had about 80 questions left, meaning I was doing good on time. The last 80 questions flew by faster than I expected. I got really easy questions towards the end. After the last question I was actually surprised it was over.

Calm down. Do your best. Take the break. Finish the exam. You will be ok :)

My exam was filled with psych, TPN, drug interactions, drug side effects, HIV, and a little compounding.

Read the question before looking at the patient case. There's a lot going on in that patient case and the question is very simple and asks for something specific. Don't waste your time and get overwhelmed by looking at the patient case first.

Also. TRUST in your pharmacy education. Your school most likely has a very high pass rate for the past 4 years. Don't believe me? Go to NABP and look at your school's passing rate. Trust the 4 years weren't for nothing. I graduated closer towards the bottom half of my class because my classmates are amazing and smart.

Last edited:
So I guess in comparison to many posters, I was a slacker :( So I hope to many of you, I can help calm your nerves?

I took the Pre-NAPLEX 2 weeks before my exam and scored a 72. This is without active studying and already graduated for about 2 months.

I had the 2014 RxPrep book and started looking at it 2 weeks before the exam. However, I got so busy that I didn't really have a chance to dive in. I had one day of good studying at Starbucks, but that lasted 4 hours because it was too cold and the hard chairs were getting uncomfortable. But I got through a good 10-15 chapters that day, just reading and highlighting through. Overall, in RxPrep I got up to Chapter 31.

The night before my exam, I took the Pre-NAPLEX. I scored a 45. ===> FREAKED OUT

I looked at SDN 120 calculations that night. I tried the problems and was overwhelmed because they're much more difficult without studying calculations. So I went back to RxPrep calculations chapter and my university's NAPLEX calculation review. Studied until 2 am the night before the exam.

Morning of the exam, I did SDN 120 calculations and looked at the answers. I also worked on practice problems from my first-year calculations course.

Went into the exam a nervous wreak. My passion is HIV and the first 20 questions were HIV. I think I just got lucky. Stayed calm during the exam and just really thought it through. I took the 10 minute break and I had about 80 questions left, meaning I was doing good on time. The last 80 questions flew by faster than I expected. I got really easy questions towards the end. After the last question I was actually surprised it was over.

My exam was filled with psych, TPN, drug interactions, drug side effects, HIV, and a little compounding.

Read the question before looking at the patient case. There's a lot going on in that patient case and the question is very simple and asks for something specific. Don't waste your time and get overwhelmed by looking at the patient case first.

Also. TRUST in your pharmacy education. Your school most likely has a very high pass rate for the past 4 years. Don't believe me? Go to NABP and look at your school's passing rate. Trust the 4 years weren't for nothing. I graduated closer towards the bottom half of my class because my classmates are amazing and smart.

Jkong,

thank you for sharing your experience and words of wisdom. We all appreciate it.

Best.

Jkong,

I wanted to add that I took the Pre-NAPLEX back in early June before I had even started studying for the NAPLEX. I really wanted to get a sense of where i was at. I scored a 67 which kind of concerned me but I ultimately, let it go because there were some PK calculations that I did not even bother to try. I pretty much filled in random numbers and there were other details that I felt I would have known had I studied. I guess now a month and a week later and after diligently studying and going through the entire book and the 3,000 question quizbank, I do expect the score to go up. However, I do not think the pre-NAPLEX is a true predictor, especially because it is not adaptive. Again, it's not about the score, but gee I hope that it does go up. I think it should. I won't take the pre-NAPLEX again because I helped someone go through his and of course, it was not the same as mine and I am almost positive there are only two versions available right now.
I'm guessing then that your NAPLEX score was way higher than the pre-NAPLEX or did they all somehow correlate?

Did you already take your MPJE, by the way?

The 120 student doctor questions are absolutely pointless, I remember my friends harping at me that people been saying you HAVE TO do those and you're set. That's not even the case at all. All they did was piss me off and cause me to drive home and get a speeding ticket.

The 120 student doctor questions are absolutely pointless, I remember my friends harping at me that people been saying you HAVE TO do those and you're set. That's not even the case at all. All they did was piss me off and cause me to drive home and get a speeding ticket.

Totally agree. I didn't do it. It's pointless...but I guess some might find it helpful. I didn't. Sorry to hear about your speeding ticket.

I guess people freak out so much about naplex and they worry less on MPJE....I'm saying this because I'm gonna take MPJE. I feel like most of the posts are naplex, but state-specific mpje threads there are barely any. I hope it means people pass easier than naplex.....