I need all the advice I can get

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

singledad-doc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am 26 and have 2 more years left on my undergrad. I didn't start college until I was 23. I am a single father trying to get to through my undergrad with good enough grades and enough volunteer and hopital expirence as I can. I couldn't do it without the support of my family. The only school that is close to us is a small state university, which I attend. I live in NH and there is not any medical schools which I could get preference to. My dream is to get into Dartmouth for a two reasons; 1 its Dartmouth and 2 my family would be close. It is a tremendous help having them close by. I would be happy getting into any school.
This is what I have done so far.

1)My GPA is a 3.7 and science is 3.8, I think I can bring them both up to 3.9
2)I have been doing a research project for the last 8 months and hope to get a paper published.
3)I am attending a wilderness EMT class this winter, planning on getting a job being an EMT over the summer.
4) I volunteer at the hospital.
5) I have shadowed one of the surgeons at the hospital a few times.

My question is what else can I do to boost my application? I have also read that alot of people apply to 20+ schools, is that what every does?

Members don't see this ad.

I am 26 and have 2 more years left on my undergrad. I didn't start college until I was 23. I am a single father trying to get to through my undergrad with good enough grades and enough volunteer and hopital expirence as I can. I couldn't do it without the support of my family. The only school that is close to us is a small state university, which I attend. I live in NH and there is not any medical schools which I could get preference to. My dream is to get into Dartmouth for a two reasons; 1 its Dartmouth and 2 my family would be close. It is a tremendous help having them close by. I would be happy getting into any school.

2)I have been doing a research project for the last 8 months and hope to get a paper published.
3)I am attending a wilderness EMT class this winter, planning on getting a job being an EMT over the summer.

My question is what else can I do to boost my application? I have also read that alot of people apply to 20+ schools, is that what every does?

Most people apply to more schools, but not all. It sounds like you are on top of things. Everything sounds good. Your GPA is great and your ECs are really good. When are you taking the MCAT? The score on that will probably be the deciding factor. I would contact Dartmouth and see if you can sit down and talk with someone or have a tour or something like that. The more contact you have, the better. Check and see if they have an early admissions program. If so and you score well on the MCAT, you could do that. Have you checked into their third and fourth years? I thought you had to travel for them. My sister went to Dartmouth as an undergrad and Hanover is a small town. I don't know what types of options exist for rotations. I would make sure that you check into that because it would really stink to go to Dartmouth to stay close to your family and then have to leave after your second year. If you can talk to someone at Dartmouth, I would tell them what you said in your post about being a single father and being close to your family. I think that they will view that in a positive way. Good luck with everything!:luck:

I am going to take the mcats the summer of 2008. My plan is to take them in april and then study all summer and take them again in august. I am not going to do anything for may june and july but study for the mcats. That is not something I am looking forward to but I really want to get a good score. I was also thinking of taking one of the mcat classes. They are expensive but if they boost my score up it is worth the $1700.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am going to take the mcats the summer of 2008. My plan is to take them in april and then study all summer and take them again in august. I am not going to do anything for may june and july but study for the mcats. That is not something I am looking forward to but I really want to get a good score. I was also thinking of taking one of the mcat classes. They are expensive but if they boost my score up it is worth the $1700.

Hi, singledad-doc,

I told myself I wasn't going to write too many comments today, because it's Thanksgiving and I want a break from all things application-related. Here I am, however. :oops:

First off, if I were you, I'd plan on taking the MCAT only once. If you knew just what a pain it was, you'd likely agree with me. Granted it's a lot easier to take the MCAT now that it is computerized, you still don't want schools to have to fuss over multiple MCAT scores on your record if you don't absolutely need to be in that situation. Take the MCAT once and do well. If you don't do well, then think about taking it again. You see what I mean?

The way to study for the MCAT is to fill in all of the basic knowledge gaps that you have (you can obtain a topic list from AAMC), know all the concepts and formulae backwards and forwards, and take as many AAMC practice tests as reasonably possible. The MCAT is not only a test of basic knowledge, it's also very much an intellectual puzzle. It's not at all straight forward. They love to wrap basic knowledge in unfamiliar wrapping, so that they can test your ability to quickly assess the passage for what is relevant, your ability to interpret complex charts, graphs, and data, and your ability to manipulate and apply the basic material in context to the passage. You absolutely need to know how to take the test and how to play the game that they present you with. Practice is the key.

As for taking an MCAT review class, if you benefit from classroom interaction, I'd say go for it, but it won't substitute for taking as many full length practice tests as you can. Definitely buy all the AAMC tests and practice with them. Practice reading professional science and literary journals.

Best of luck to you! :)

I think your profile looks pretty good so far. Do well on MCAT, 3.9 would be awesome but is not all that necessary if MCAT is good, 3.8 is more than solid. Plus, having a family means that they won't expect you to go all crazy on the ECs, I think.

Don't have much advice really, but best of luck. I think you have a good shot. Congrats on combining great grades with the family life. That's quite an achievement and one they will surely recognize.