I need help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doc2019

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I'm a freshman and I need advice from you guys. Over this past weekend I've been going through intense procastination. Like I have 3 tests this week and I didn't even study because of How I met your mother. I need advice on how to get my act together. I'm a good student, I've been pulling A's on all my exams and assignments but now I'm in this sick addiction to a series. I need motivation or tips or something to knock me back on the right path. Please if you could give me your tips or advice I'd appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
If you don't study for these tests, you're going to fail and not get into medical school.

How's that for motivation

Reactions: 8 users
Hi. I'm a freshman and I need advice from you guys. Over this past weekend I've been going through intense procastination. Like I have 3 tests this week and I didn't even study because of How I met your mother. I need advice on how to get my act together. I'm a good student, I've been pulling A's on all my exams and assignments but now I'm in this sick addiction to a series. I need motivation or tips or something to knock me back on the right path. Please if you could give me your tips or advice I'd appreciate it.
I liked your post because of How I Met Your Mother. Such a great show. I went through something like that in undergrad as well. One thing you can try is to set goals and treat yourself to an episode after reaching them. Maybe once you get through a certain amount of material then you allow yourself 30 minutes for an episode. Come up with a plan and just stick with it. Good luck on your tests.

Members don't see this ad :)
Study... or take WedgeDawg's tip because that's more straight forward...

Reactions: 1 user
Sigh I'll do it. Thanks guys. I appreciate all the comments

If you're getting As, does it matter? In my first couple years of undergrad I would get really frustrated with myself because I left every paper to the night before, and never started studying for midterms more than a day prior. Then I realized that I get the grades I want while doing that.

I was a lot less stressed out once I made peace with the fact that I'll never be able to force myself to start something early when I know in the back of my mind that I'll do well at the last minute. Maybe the same thing is happening for you, hard to stay motivated if you're getting As anyway. The first time you get a B on a big test might be the motivation you need to start earlier on future tests. Until then, enjoy the ride, but find a better show.

There aren't any tricks, you have to learn how to motivate yourself to get things done when you would much rather stay at home in bed doing w/e else. It's all part of growing up, just try not to let your grades suffer too much while you figure it out.

Sigh that's the thing. Getting a B might motivate me but it'll damage my average. Sigh

Finish the series ASAP.... Stay up all night doing so. Then you will have nothing else to do but study :)

One thing that I learned about myself is that I need to do things right away. I get out of class and do my work right away. That way, if something fun comes up, or I need to de-stress, I am not behind. Stop making excuses and just get to work. Now. Study somewhere else. Go to a library, put your phone away and just start working. Sit somewhere with no distractions and even try to study without music. Don't beat yourself up now, just get to work.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you don't study for these tests, you're going to fail and not get into medical school.
How's that for motivation
That's some kindergarten level chicken****.

Let's try "If you don't study hard and get an A on all of your tests for all four years of undergrad, you're going to be out of school, out of a job, deep in debt, and without any help in the world. You should probably start picking out high-traffic street corners, 'cause that's where you'll be spending the rest of your miserable--and probably short--life."

Do you access through a streaming service? Share your password with a trusted friend and then have your friend change the password and not give it to you until after a specific date (after your exams are over).
There are also some mechanisms to lock yourself out of internet access, or access to some sites, for a specified length of time.

Go to your school's counseling center STAT!!!!

Reactions: 1 users
Sigh bombed my lab chem quiz but at least I'm back on track.

Where the heck did you meet my mother?
Sigh bombed my lab chem quiz but at least I'm back on track.

It's fine, I bombed my first bio quiz beginning of the semester.. I'm not doing well as I like, however, I know next exam I will get at least an A.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for that uplifting comment Turkish. Nice to know I'm not alone!

Wow - now you make me curious about the show. Is it really that addictive?

Wow - now you make me curious about the show. Is it really that addictive?

It's pretty good. Took a nosedive around season 6-7/8 (IMHO) and revived for a solid final season. 7.5/10 for me.

It's a really fun show. It makes you feel good life about life and makes you appreciate your friends and all the great potential things the future has in store. Idk. Whenever I watch it I just get such a positive vibe. Especially from ecstatic characters like Barney (Neil Patrick Harris).

But watch it after your finals. I broke out of the cycle. You don't want to get into it. Trust me after doing well in academics it's the perfect reward as you just sit back, relax, and laugh :)

I could ruin the whole show for you and tell you the end like the sick little bastard I was born to be.

tumblr_mnswxbmdzb1rqfhi2o1_400.gif