I think he/she is stealing controls...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alittlesuspicious

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had to make a new account. Even though it is not perfect, I want to try my best to conceal my identity.

All of this is happening in a Texas retail setting.

I have a VERY strong suspicion that one of the pharmacists that I work with was/is stealing C2s (Adderall).

Let me paint the story: I strongly dislike this pharmacist because he/she has shown up to work smelling of alcohol and occasional weed. I do not intend to judge a person, but it seems as if dispensing medications while under the influence does not seem to parallel the laws and regulations of the state board.

I worked under this pharmacist as a tech/intern for a little while before finding another job elsewhere and leaving the company. I am 100% positive that he/she is still employed with the retail company that he/she has stolen from.

My question: What is the best way of reporting this?

1. I am in rx school myself and do not want to be caught up in a scandal in which I am treated as an accomplice because I did not report this to the authorities sooner.
2. Is it possible to remain anonymous for my own safety?
3. I no longer work for this company, but again, I do not want a black mark on my record for something I did not do, but was in close proximity of. I do not feel comfortable just "letting this go".
4. I do not have any hard, evidence that this pharmacist was stealing. My suspicion is strong because the pharmacist would just input "-1" for the control inventory for that Adderall.
5. This pharmacist is not permanently staffed to that particular store anymore, so he/she may/may not be floating.

Please help with input. I worry that the longer I let this go for, the deeper trouble I will be in if this snowballs into a disaster.

Members don't see this ad.

Call your state board and ask what to do. There's likely some program like a recovery network for pharmacists and they can help you decide how best to report something like this.

Who are you going to report him to? His company? The BOP?

I really think the best course of action would have been to call the anonymous tip line, assuming the company had one, when you were an employee. I don't think you have any good options now.

Probably the only place you can report him to now would be the BOP, but without proof I really am not sure how they would respond. I would be very concerned about the level of anonymity going this route.

My strong advice would be to put it behind you. I really doubt your suspicion is going to mean much to anyone now. In the future if you think something suspicious is going on, follow your internal reporting process.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
My strong advice would be to put it behind you. I really doubt your suspicion is going to mean much to anyone now. In the future if you think something suspicious is going on, follow your internal reporting process.

This. Since you don't work there anymore, you have no way to prove that this pharmacist is still doing anything wrong and you may come off as a grudge-holder.

Reactions: 1 users
Call anybody you know still at the company and get the tip line and report it. It's totally anonymous. You should have reported then. Do it know. They will investigate.

good faith or retaliatory?

You are willing to go this much out of your way to potentially ruin someone's life?

Firstly
: This person may or may not be abusing medications and this could be just a suspicion of yours....

Secondly: This happened in the past....and If you believe that they are abusing medications...why did you not act sooner?

Thirdly: You spent this much time to type out this message onto a message board...does that not ring in your head that you may feel regret for handling this situation in the way that you are wanting to...I don't care if you absolutely 100% HATE the pharmacist who you believe is abusing drugs. They more than likely have a lot of student debt to pay off and may have some sort of mental illness or possible depression, and fear that they won't ever be able to pay it off. Who knows what it could be?

It would be absolutely heartless to just "turn them in".....even if some believe that that is the right thing to do...You know in your heart, that it's not, and it could potentially ruin this person's life. They more than likely have spent at least 25 years in the schooling system to get to where they are today all to just have some STUDENT INTERN turn them in on a blind suspicion.....

If you have worked for that person, why don't you call them and talk with them about it.....Show compassion and be there for that person or find a way that you know in your heart will truly help that person. Snitches who ruin people's lives like this are not actually "helping" the person, you would be hurting the person and you know that.

If this was your own mother doing this, would you just turn them in? No......You'd help them....and you would go out of your way to make sure that they receive proper help. It seems here that you have strongly held onto a grudge and want to hurt this person. This may not be the politically correct thing that you are wanting to here....but it for damn sure is the honest thing.

You are willing to go this much out of your way to potentially ruin someone's life?

Firstly
: This person may or may not be abusing medications and this could be just a suspicion of yours....

Secondly: This happened in the past....and If you believe that they are abusing medications...why did you not act sooner?

Thirdly: You spent this much time to type out this message onto a message board...does that not ring in your head that you may feel regret for handling this situation in the way that you are wanting to...I don't care if you absolutely 100% HATE the pharmacist who you believe is abusing drugs. They more than likely have a lot of student debt to pay off and may have some sort of mental illness or possible depression, and fear that they won't ever be able to pay it off. Who knows what it could be?

It would be absolutely heartless to just "turn them in".....even if some believe that that is the right thing to do...You know in your heart, that it's not, and it could potentially ruin this person's life. They more than likely have spent at least 25 years in the schooling system to get to where they are today all to just have some STUDENT INTERN turn them in on a blind suspicion.....

If you have worked for that person, why don't you call them and talk with them about it.....Show compassion and be there for that person or find a way that you know in your heart will truly help that person. Snitches who ruin people's lives like this are not actually "helping" the person, you would be hurting the person and you know that.

If this was your own mother doing this, would you just turn them in? No......You'd help them....and you would go out of your way to make sure that they receive proper help. It seems here that you have strongly held onto a grudge and want to hurt this person. This may not be the politically correct thing that you are wanting to here....but it for damn sure is the honest thing.
I think the opposite of everything above.

Reactions: 3 users

Firstly

What is this nonsense? Would you rather have this person continue to handle and verify prescriptions and potentially kill someone?

Reactions: 2 users
And the lives ruined when they make a critical error because they were high on the job?
Firstly: This person may or may not be abusing medications and this could be just a suspicion of yours....
That's why an investigation will be done. Reporting does not equal conviction.
I'd like to know about this one also. Why wait? Especially if you no longer work there (you said you left the company?) maybe they've gotten their act together and all the evidence is gone.

It's clear that they aren't on great terms, so confronting them is probably not going to work. By reporting it, you do make sure they will get help, whether its a detox clinic, professional support program, etc. By saying "I know you're doing this, please stop" does not do anything to stop their current course. And if/when it all blows up, if it comes out that you knew and said nothing, you're jeopardizing yourself as well.

Are those company tip lines really anonymous? I remember I was floating at a pharmacy once and there was a whole scandal about a fellow technician calling in a complaint about another tech they work with. The phone number of the person who made the complaint was traced and the tech somehow found out it was her coworker that did it.

Are those company tip lines really anonymous? I remember I was floating at a pharmacy once and there was a whole scandal about a fellow technician calling in a complaint about another tech they work with. The phone number of the person who made the complaint was traced and the tech somehow found out it was her coworker that did it.
They are supposed to be anonymous to the extent possible. If you give your name/contact info, they may need to contact you for more details, but they should NOT be telling anybody that doesn't need to know. Now, if it's some scenario like one pharmacist and one tech on a Saturday evening, and "someone" says they saw the pharmacist do something at that time, it kind of narrows it down who blew the whistle. I hope the tip line wouldn't be foolish enough to call the store back for more info saying "a tech called us, we're returning that call to find out more info" because that would also totally blow the cover.

They give you $500 reward on the hotline I think right? I'd do it. No harm if it turns out, he doesn't do anything wrong. If he did, you got $500! Profit!!!

Its 100 dollar reward, not 500. And if you're doing it for the money, you are a greedy human being who is money hungry.

If you're going to report them, report them for diverting drugs and so that you can make your community safer and drug-free. Not to make a measly $100, which is probably taxed and will probably end up being $70. Plus, in order to get the money, you have to give them your employee ID number so they can give it to your next paycheck, so you're not anonymous. Now imagine if they end up not convicting the suspect? You look like a whistleblower, which has a stigma in our society.