I think I made a huge mistake and need some advice . . .

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

starrysky

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in my 2nd year of the medical program at an MD/PhD program. I picked this school over an MSTP school due to location, and thought I was going to get a better lab here, and the complexity of the program at the MSTP was very intimidating. But now I can't find a great research lab that I'm excited about, and I greatly regret my decision. Do you think there is anyway I could transfer? If I quit my program, I have to pay so much money and I don't know if that's such a smart decision. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

From what I've gathered in reading SDN, it appears to be hard enough to transfer between medical schools, let alone MD-PhD programs. However, I've never heard that topic discussed, so perhaps someone else on this forum can chime in.

If I was in your shoes, I would continue with the program. Maybe you should re-evaluate your definition of a "great" lab. What are you looking for in particular? Funding, enthusiasm, publications, innovation? I find it difficult to believe that a school large enough to have an MD-PhD program doesn't have at least one "great" lab.

Keep in mind that those 3-4 graduate years constitute a small part of your training. I've heard many times that because of the gap in between the graduate years and your first chance at a post-doc that physician-scientists have a greater opportunity to branch out into different fields and different research (when applying for post-doc positions). If you get into an "OK" or "good" lab at this point, you could parlay that training down the line into a "great" or "amazing" experience in another lab at another institution.

I have a feeling that if you flesh out your story, some more experienced members on this board could offer some solid advice. I believe that your education and training are what you make of it, and would strongly support the notion of your continuance in your program.

Is your current school MSTP? From your description it does not sound like it. I would doubt you could transfer to an MSTP program from a non-MSTP MD/PhD program because there would be too many funding issues. Have you talked with the MD/PhD director at your school? Maybe there are labs that so something similar to what you like?

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m no expert, but I would think you’d need to answer for yourself what is more important for you – MD or PhD. I would think (and hope) you went to med-school because you wanted to do something with medicine first and foremost, and that the lab-work is supplementary to that primary goal; otherwise I would guess you’d just go to GRADUATE school in the field you liked. So, if I were you I would prioritize my primary goal and make the best out of the secondary – everything doesn’t turn out “perfect” in life sometimes, and that’s ok. If you tell adcoms at other schools that you want to switch because of your lab, they’ll question your reasons for being in MEDICAL school – I would for sure. Good luck.

If you tell adcoms at other schools that you want to switch because of your lab, they’ll question your reasons for being in MEDICAL school – I would for sure. Good luck.

I highly doubt that... All the MD/PhD programs I have looked at seem to emphasize the PhD aspects more than the MD aspects. What lab you are in is an extremely important aspect of the MD/PhD training. If OP was just concerned with med school then why MD/PhD in the first place...

Is there a lab that vaguely interests you? It is definitely possible to get a project that doesn't completely align itself with the lab. My advice is to think of a question that excites you and then find the lab that could best fit your dream project. From my experience, most good PIs are excited by ANY interesting scientific ideas-- not just those that their lab works on. Good luck!

I want to thank you all for your advice:
A bit more about my position - I decided to go to medical school first an dofremost to help communities internationally who have inadequate healthcare. The PhD came secondarily due to my interest to investigate the diseases that afflict these people and hopefully help them dually with immediate healthcare, and long term treatments. Therefore, I would get my PhD in infectious diseases, but unfortunately there is no lab with good funding and/or an interesting project. Trust me, I've been looking for 2 years. I was misdirected in my decision to come here and now I feel very very stuck. This program is not MSTP funded, mistake number one (which I didn't think mattered at the time of my decision). I'm lost, upset, and scared about my future. I want to thank you for all your advice, though. HOpefully it will work out!

I hope it doesn't sound harsh: if the PhD is of secondary importance, it's difficult to do top-rated science. MD-PhD programs train scientists. To me, it sounds like you like to help people through immediate healthcare, which is more like what a MD will do. Helping communities internationally is a noble goal, but it may cut into the time you have in doing good science. Some people are smart enough to pull both off, though.

I want to thank you all for your advice:
A bit more about my position - I decided to go to medical school first an dofremost to help communities internationally who have inadequate healthcare. The PhD came secondarily due to my interest to investigate the diseases that afflict these people and hopefully help them dually with immediate healthcare, and long term treatments. Therefore, I would get my PhD in infectious diseases, but unfortunately there is no lab with good funding and/or an interesting project. Trust me, I've been looking for 2 years. I was misdirected in my decision to come here and now I feel very very stuck. This program is not MSTP funded, mistake number one (which I didn't think mattered at the time of my decision). I'm lost, upset, and scared about my future. I want to thank you for all your advice, though. HOpefully it will work out!

You need to go talk to your advisor, the dean of students, and maybe the MD/PhD program director. As well meaning as all of us SDN folks are, we really can't tell you how to fix this situation or what your options are. One thing that comes to my mind that may be worth looking into is whether you could spend your PhD years at another institution and then come back to finish the MD? Especially if you school has affiliate research hospitals, it is worth looking into, but even other research centers in the geographic area might be possibilities. Best of :luck: to you. :)