I want to apply to med school and need some help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Irish9391

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need some help! Here's my story:

I graduated with my BA in 2013 and decided to take a gap year and apply to pharmacy school. Now that pharmacy school is a few months away, I am having doubts and I think my true passion lies in medicine. I really would like to apply to med schools in this upcoming cycle, but I have not taken the MCAT yet or started studying... I am worried I might be too late. I did extremely well on the PCAT (95th percentile) with only 10 days of studying, but from my understanding, the MCAT is much more challenging and rigorous. The earliest I would feel comfortable taking the MCAT is mid-July. I have a 3.6 overall gpa, a 3.4 science gpa, 2 years of research experience and 2 years of hospital volunteer experience... no MD shadowing experience though.

Do I stand a chance? Is the July MCAT too late?

Members don't see this ad.

I got an 89 on the pcat without studying at all. The mcat is a completely different beast. You'll need months to prepare, 10 days won't cut it.

If you're going to apply, you'll have to do it next year.

Reactions: 1 user
I realize 10 days won't cut it. My point was that I am good at studying a large volume of information in a short amount of time and I typically test well.

Members don't see this ad :)
I need some help! Here's my story:

I graduated with my BA in 2013 and decided to take a gap year and apply to pharmacy school. Now that pharmacy school is a few months away, I am having doubts and I think my true passion lies in medicine. I really would like to apply to med schools in this upcoming cycle, but I have not taken the MCAT yet or started studying... I am worried I might be too late.

Don't even think about it. A really bad MCAT score will hurt your chances down the road. I had a friend try something like this, and score in the teens...

no MD shadowing experience though.

I'm not an expert, but I think having zero shadowing will be a big red flag, and you'll 100% be asked about this.

Take a year to strengthen your app, ace the MCAT, and do some shadowing.

In addition to studying for the MCAT you have other things to do to present a good package. Don't go to Pharm school. Beef up your ECs and study for the MCAT. Polish up your application and apply day one next June. You need to apply early because your GPAs are around average.

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk 2