IAUPR...The hidden gem of Optometry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'd just like to share a quote from the Disney Movie Bambi that I think we could all learn from..
"...if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all..."

This thread was posed as a question, "IAUPR...the hidden gem of Optometry?" If it's a question, aren't the positive and negative responses completely valid? Each viewpoint deserves some credit. Why should we have a "say nice things only about this school" policy?

Members don't see this ad.

words of a small mind....

Thanks for your opinion. Are you referring to my cranial capacity, my sophomoric comments or my intelligence in general?

Standardized tests such as the SAT, MCAT, LSAT are basically IQ tests. Prove me wrong.

I used to be a neuropsychology research intern at a VA hospital and we did family studies on intelligence and Alzheimer's disease. I spent a lot of time with psychologists.

http://pss.sagepub.com/content/15/6/373
"These studies indicate that the SAT is mainly a test of g[general intelligence]."

Surely it's a person's own decision to attend the school they think suits them (and for whatever reason) without someone having to bash them. For whatever reason any of us do not approve of a particular school, it is no way a guest pass to criticize others for choosing it just because it's not the decision you would make. That being said, no doubt we all have taken steps to SERIOUSLY think about what type of education we want and what school fits the type of student we are. If I got on here saying I wanted to go to school in FL, CA, or PR b/c of the nice weather, that's one thing, but if someone truly feels as though a particular school is the best for them, then we should be praising each other for taking such a tremendous career step- we may all be colleagues down the road. And more power to those that take the "less safe" route. Who knows, they may end up paving the road for future classes and turn it all around. Point of it all is that we all have to make the decision based on what is best for us and what each of our career goals are. Who knows, one of us may find ourselves working with the school on some level in the future. Though it is not the school for me, I am really interested in hearing what everyone has to say- thanks for the info.

thank you for your honest and open words. Thats the whole point in regards to this forum. The current students here at IAUPR are currently taking steps to bring the school out of negative light and bring it to the level it should be on. Lots of exciting things are happening, including hosting the World council of Optometry delegates meeting during our 30th anniversary celebration yesterday.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your opinion. Are you referring to my cranial capacity, my sophomoric comments or my intelligence in general?

Standardized tests such as the SAT, MCAT, LSAT are basically IQ tests. Prove me wrong.

I used to be a neuropsychology research intern at a VA hospital and we did family studies on intelligence and Alzheimer's disease. I spent a lot of time with psychologists.

"These studies indicate that the SAT is mainly a test of g[general intelligence]."

yup...no problem

you know what im referring to, mr. neuropsychology research intern...btw, where in that credential mentioned was it given you to call others stupid based on their test score? especially when you are not even an OD student yet - 2015? you're not even on the same playing field as those talking about their schools. just because you interned for a couple months at the VA with neuopsychologists and psychologists doesnt make you a psychologist - for sure, it doesnt make you an expert on test-taking and the scores from standardized tests . you can't be a psychologist by association.

how do you correlate IQ (which is theory btw) with scores on a standardized test? where's the facts to back it up

how does it feel on the receiving end, seu mongoloid?

Last edited:
This thread was posed as a question, "IAUPR...the hidden gem of Optometry?" If it's a question, aren't the positive and negative responses completely valid? Each viewpoint deserves some credit. Why should we have a "say nice things only about this school" policy?

let me break it down for you.

this is a thread on IAUPR. the author is trying to show us some positives about his school. we should respect that.

If it were a thread on SCCO, or PCO, or whatever other school may be, and the author was trying to be positive about his school, we would be expected to do so as well.

if it were a thread on the negatives of whatever school, then we would be expected to oblige with the negatives

so, let me put it all together for you now
since this is a thread on IAUPR that is trying to post positive things, the author has opened it up for positive conversation. so you, being an intelligent person, would figure that "if you can't say anything nice, don't say it at all."

its not anything personal, but it does follow the logic of the thread

lol I can say whatever I feel like. That is the point of public forums. And I am not calling anyone "stupid" as you see it. There are many forms of intelligence, emotional intelligence, abstract thought, fluid/crystalized intelligence.

It feels good to be on the receiving end because you have not disproved anything I said but merely downplayed my experience.

how do you correlate IQ (which is theory btw) with scores on a standardized test? where's the facts to back it up?

Did you even click on my link?

Evolution is also a theory, but without it the whole fundamental basis of biology wouldn't exist.

Anyways, for the sake of not becoming a troll like socal/dude I will keep my opinions to myself in the future.

Did you even click on my link?

yes, i did actually. however, I didnt see much relevance.

here are my thoughts...and im not trying to be demeaning...

I see that it is trying to correlate the SAT to IQ...

the SAT is quite a bit different than the OAT, or MCAT, or DAT, LSAT, GRE, etc...
The ACT is even pretty different than the SAT

also..
the first line says "There is little evidence showing the relationship between the Scholastic Assessment Test (SAT) and g (general intelligence)." what are you trying to prove?

I see that it is coming from a .com site, which leads me to question its reliability - if this info is indeed fact, or if its financially 'influenced'

why couldnt it be on an .edu site or .org, or even a .gov...etc...? was this research done at a school?

those are just a few points...

once again, to me, I dont see much relevance

but anyway, tell me some more about IAUPR.
what are their class sizes like?
do you feel like you know the professors well?

Last edited:

GENERAL intelligence - not the ultimate! Anyone could pull up a link supporting their argument for gods sake. I could pull up an old book telling me the world was flat,- yet we'd have to look at its relevance to today's world or the matter at hand. Can you tell me what your experience had to do with taking a standardized test though? Were alzheimers patients taking the SATs and OATs?:laugh: Saying you spent a lot of time with psychologists doesn't mean anything really, you do realize that sounds super silly? I spent tons of time with marine biologists but that doesn't mean I'm right about everything in the ocean and should ask someone to "prove me wrong" the minute someone disagrees with me! By all means you are no socal, I think people are just having trouble connecting the dots of your reasoning. :)

GENERAL intelligence - not the ultimate! Anyone could pull up a link supporting their argument for gods sake. I could pull up an old book telling me the world was flat,- yet we'd have to look at its relevance to today's world or the matter at hand. Can you tell me what your experience had to do with taking a standardized test though? Were alzheimers patients taking the SATs and OATs?:laugh: Saying you spent a lot of time with psychologists doesn't mean anything really, you do realize that sounds super silly? I spent tons of time with marine biologists but that doesn't mean I'm right about everything in the ocean and should ask someone to "prove me wrong" the minute someone disagrees with me! By all means you are no socal, I think people are just having trouble connecting the dots of your reasoning. :)

thank you, thats exactly what I wanted to say..but you said it better

I was redirected here from another thread discussing IAUPR info and most of what I see here is bickering. Can we please just discuss specific information for students like me who want to know what it's like when we get there or students who are still in the decision making process and want to know what to expect from students who actually attend?

I know that this is just another internet forum, but I'd expect better from one called the Student Doctor Network Forums.

@ EyeTunes: I emphasized your point before on this thread as well. Anyways, people will keep doing what they like. As far as your concerns and questions, feel free to ask them. Any one of us will be happy to answer any of your questions. I am a current student at IAUPR here to help you. Feel free to PM me or ask questions here. =)

As mentioned earlier, most students coming to PR in the 80s and early 90s were a majority puerto rican natives. So board scores have been low as those that wanted to stay behind in PR did not require boards to practice here. As of lately, board scores will go up, accreditation is intact, and applicant pool will become more competitive.

Question... why in the hell would the school or whoever is calculating these stats risk the reputation of the school and included these board scores of the people who either do not take (I am assuming) or do poorly because it was not required by PR law? To me, it seems like they should have excluded these circumstances when they present how people do on their boards when they were prepared in this school and try to come to mainland to practice afterwards...

Question... why in the hell would the school or whoever is calculating these stats risk the reputation of the school and included these board scores of the people who either do not take (I am assuming) or do poorly because it was not required by PR law? To me, it seems like they should have excluded these circumstances when they present how people do on their boards when they were prepared in this school and try to come to mainland to practice afterwards...

:confused: Im confused on the point of this comment.. what are you getting at? The school is being honest about its stats (a little TOO honest if you ask me). Its also hard to objectively tell who took the test to pass and who took it for giggles.

But reading your statement, it seems to me that you are confused about IAUPR status as a school. I went there and speaking with other colleagues from other schools, we learned the same material needed to pass a standardized test (NBEO) and be prepared for the real world. I did fine on boards, before anyone starts to bash me!

In order to practice in the states... you MUST to pass NBEO parts one and two (some dont require part three.. and some dont require TMOD... but this might have changed). Each individual state has its own requirements and they only care about the individual applicant. They could care less how the school does as a whole. NBEO is standardizes, so the grading/scaling criteria represents a combined pool. If you passed.. you pass based on stats the NBEO uses to set the pass rate... if you fail.. you fail because you didnt score the minimum determined by the stats... blah blah blah... more irrelevant statistics information... blah blah blah

A few other schools have gone thru slumps in the past (look up your history)... unfortunately... IAUPR has/is going thru it right now... but a lot is being done to change that...

I just advise any hates to meet with a student or alum from this school and make the judgement for yourself rather then brush them off...

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry I haven't posted in forever, as 2nd year has officially kicked my butt! However, I am very happy and pleased to see my fellow schoolmates voicing their opinions and immersing ourselves in the optometric realm.

So for any applicants thinking about going to IAUPR as a short-cut to becoming an OD, GOOD LUCK with that notion!! I do agree the school is more reluctant to give people with "poor GPA's and low OAT scores" a chance at fulfilling their goals, but if you're a weak link....you will get weeded out (as is true for any other academically challenging graduate program..and it happens every year). With that being said, the school has also restructured their curriculum to fully entail sequenced courses to better allow the student to effectively learn material and better prepare them for the new NBEO layout.

I myself am a Spanish-speaker from the mainland and have had the honor of meeting and becoming friends with some of the smartest latinos I've met (and I did complete my undergraduate degree at a well-recognized state university with a diverse student population). My class has one of the largest Puerto Rican populations in a while (9 out of 64, with an additional 6 latinos from the states). As another member mentioned, they we have "SMART" students with excellent GPAs and OAT scores who CHOOSE to attend IAUPR because they simply saw it a better fit for personal and professional reasons. Many of the Puerto Ricans here did not want to leave their homeland yet they had exceptionally stellar statistics. However, although PR is a U.S. territory, English is not spoken as much as you may think...many who learn English had the privilege of attending a private school. For that reason, taking a standardized test in English, such as the OAT, is not exactly the easiest task...and due to language barriers, some may not perform as well. Interestingly enough, of those 9 students, about 4 or 5 are ranked at the top of my class (including myself) in a perdominantly American class. So before people make generalized statements about "intelligence" on the island...I would really hold back. I am truly faithful that many of my driven colleagues will perform exceptionally well on NBEO part I. As for the professors here, they are bilingual (some speak English much better than others), but they KNOW their stuff..especially your professors in Primary Eyecare I, II, and III. Maybe the school organization may not be the best, especially those applying and not being able to get a hold of administration...but administration and professors are two completely different categories and should not be compared.

For those who say IAUPR is a back-up school, perhaps you are correct for some students, and for others it may be a chance to excel in an academically rigorous program with more "maturity" and dedication. I would not judge a school soley based on it's NBEO rates...those numbers fluctuate from year to year and only YOU know what kind of student you aspire to be as well as your capabilities. As far as clinical training and information provided to do well on the boards...it is provided. Does our school have the most driven and BRIGHTEST students in the world...of course not. But those who want to do well, WILL. Remember, no one school has 100% pass rates for part I...so what do you say to those select students from mainland schools that do not pass first time around? Blame it on the school or blame it on yourself??? That is the controversial gray area which brings about much friction. Of course, human instinct is to point the finger at everyone else but yourself. Although I do agree the educational institution must take some part..but not ALL. Remember, this is a graduate program and you must accept responsilbities for your decisions/efforts.

As for someone who actually spent a year at another Optometry school in the states ( a good one), I wish i would have gone to this school first. I am not simply saying that out of spite, or to vouche for my school..but because I truly feel more comfortable in many respects (from friendships with faculty, students, and a BEAUTIFUL ambiance). I had a strong undergrad GPA great OAT scores...and thank goodness my hard work at IAUPR has paid off thus far (I have been blessed with many scholarships...just show them you have the drive).

But remember, this is a forum to express OPINIONS and shed some light onto some of the common misconceptions that many non-IAUPR students/ODs may have and to possibly help prospective students make a clear decision. Remember, when you gradaute...not many patients can differentiate an OD, from an OMD, from an optician...let alone know the NBEO pass rates from your alma mater.

If you have any questions, comments or concerns...I would be more than happy to answer them.

Last edited:
What was the lowest GPA and lowest OAT applicant admitted to IAUPR?

Sorry I haven't posted in forever, as 2nd year has officially kicked my butt! However, I am very happy and pleased to see my fellow schoolmates voicing their opinions and immersing ourselves in the optometric realm.

So for any applicants thinking about going to IAUPR as a short-cut to becoming an OD, GOOD LUCK with that notion!! I do agree the school is more reluctant to give people with "poor GPA's and low OAT scores" a chance at fulfilling their goals, but if you're a weak link....you will get weeded out (as is true for any other academically challenging graduate program..and it happens every year). With that being said, the school has also restructured their curriculum to fully entail sequenced courses to better allow the student to effectively learn material and better prepare them for the new NBEO layout.

I myself am a Spanish-speaker from the mainland and have had the honor of meeting and becoming friends with some of the smartest latinos I've met (and I did complete my undergraduate degree at a well-recognized state university with a diverse student population). My class has one of the largest Puerto Rican populations in a while (9 out of 64, with an additional 6 latinos from the states). As another member mentioned, they we have "SMART" students with excellent GPAs and OAT scores who CHOOSE to attend IAUPR because they simply saw it a better fit for personal and professional reasons. Many of the Puerto Ricans here did not want to leave their homeland yet they had exceptionally stellar statistics. However, although PR is a U.S. territory, English is not spoken as much as you may think...many who learn English had the privilege of attending a private school. For that reason, taking a standardized test in English, such as the OAT, is not exactly the easiest task...and due to language barriers, some may not perform as well. Interestingly enough, of those 9 students, about 4 or 5 are ranked at the top of my class (including myself) in a perdominantly American class. So before people make generalized statements about "intelligence" on the island...I would really hold back. I am truly faithful that many of my driven colleagues will perform exceptionally well on NBEO part I. As for the professors here, they are bilingual (some speak English much better than others), but they KNOW their stuff..especially your professors in Primary Eyecare I, II, and III. Maybe the school organization may not be the best, especially those applying and not being able to get a hold of administration...but administration and professors are two completely different categories and should not be compared.

For those who say IAUPR is a back-up school, perhaps you are correct for some students, and for others it may be a chance to excel in an academically rigorous program with more "maturity" and dedication. I would not judge a school soley based on it's NBEO rates...those numbers fluctuate from year to year and only YOU know what kind of student you aspire to be as well as your capabilities. As far as clinical training and information provided to do well on the boards...it is provided. Does our school have the most driven and BRIGHTEST students in the world...of course not. But those who want to do well, WILL. Remember, no one school has 100% pass rates for part I...so what do you say to those select students from mainland schools that do not pass first time around? Blame it on the school or blame it on yourself??? That is the controversial gray area which brings about much friction. Of course, human instinct is to point the finger at everyone else but yourself. Although I do agree the educational institution must take some part..but not ALL. Remember, this is a graduate program and you must accept responsilbities for your decisions/efforts.

As for someone who actually spent a year at another Optometry school in the states ( a good one), I wish i would have gone to this school first. I am not simply saying that out of spite, or to vouche for my school..but because I truly feel more comfortable in many respects (from friendships with faculty, students, and a BEAUTIFUL ambiance). I had a strong undergrad GPA great OAT scores...and thank goodness my hard work at IAUPR has paid off thus far (I have been blessed with many scholarships...just show them you have the drive).

But remember, this is a forum to express OPINIONS and shed some light onto some of the common misconceptions that many non-IAUPR students/ODs may have and to possibly help prospective students make a clear decision. Remember, when you gradaute...not many patients can differentiate an OD, from an OMD, from an optician...let alone know the NBEO pass rates from your alma mater.

If you have any questions, comments or concerns...I would be more than happy to answer them.

Thank you for your input. I have been accepted to IAUPR and may attend this fall (still waiting for a local school). It is true, how much you excel in school depends more on yourself than on the school. I'm glad you're doing well! :thumbup:

What was the lowest GPA and lowest OAT applicant admitted to IAUPR?

I was accepted with a GPA of 2.8 and OAT 310. There is hope! However, I did have an excellent letter of recommendation from a doctor I worked with for 4 years. Good luck :luck:

in the end...an OD is an OD no matter where you went to obtain it. Post-graduation, ODs are all on the same playing field. An OD who graduated from Puerto Rico will know the same things (except maybe spanish) and do the same things that an OD who graduated from (INSERT NAME OF SCHOOL HERE).

If you are good, people will come to you regardless of where you went.

How many of our patients are going to care where we went to to get our schooling..slim to none - because in our profession, it doesn't matter. Or better yet, how many will refuse to come to us because of the school we went to? again...slim to none...and if so..thats fine, i wouldnt have wanted them as patients anyway - scaring off the normal people.

Whether you go to the most expensive school or the cheapest school, a school on an island, or a school on the mainland, whether you go to Canada, or stay in the US...if you're going to be a practitioner, it wont matter.

We are all held to the same standard on the boards

Just keep that in mind...
Actually not all OD's are on the same playing field. My father has had his own practice for something like 15 years now. He only has 2 offices and per office he out nearly everyone in the United States in several brands of eye wear including Oakley and Hugo Boss. People drive for miles just to visit my father's practice to receive an eye exam. He has stated that students from certain schools are not quick enough when they get out. Each of his doctors, on average, can easily see 30 or more patients a day and some students that come out of optometry school can hardly manage 13 patients. Students from certain schools are better prepared to be extremely good and efficient optometrists when they come out. Not necessarily that they are "better" knowledge wise (although that could be argued due to the fact that in Oklahoma they are allowed to teach laser and OD's can preform certain laser techniques such as SLT and YAG) but that they are much quicker at eye exams without having to sacrifice good patient interaction.

Its true there is a lot of variability in OD training. This is not the case with MD's.

Actually not all OD's are on the same playing field. My father has had his own practice for something like 15 years now. He only has 2 offices and per office he out nearly everyone in the United States in several brands of eye wear including Oakley and Hugo Boss. People drive for miles just to visit my father's practice to receive an eye exam. He has stated that students from certain schools are not quick enough when they get out. Each of his doctors, on average, can easily see 30 or more patients a day and some students that come out of optometry school can hardly manage 13 patients. Students from certain schools are better prepared to be extremely good and efficient optometrists when they come out. Not necessarily that they are "better" knowledge wise (although that could be argued due to the fact that in Oklahoma they are allowed to teach laser and OD's can preform certain laser techniques such as SLT and YAG) but that they are much quicker at eye exams without having to sacrifice good patient interaction.

Whats the big deal about name brand frames like Hugo Boss and Oakley? I see a lot of practices that carry these frames but are not busy at all...

Also, what does your dad do that's better than the other optometrists? I mean there isn't much you can do clinically that would be superior to another OD since most patients don't care or can't see the difference once their sitting on the chair.

Whats the big deal about name brand frames like Hugo Boss and Oakley? I see a lot of practices that carry these frames but are not busy at all...

Also, what does your dad do that's better than the other optometrists? I mean there isn't much you can do clinically that would be superior to another OD since most patients don't care or can't see the difference once their sitting on the chair.
The thing that is so impressive is the volume of patients seen every day. I would also say that to be outselling most practices across the united states is pretty impressive. In order to see that many patients you need very skilled optometrists and to keep that many patients your optometrists also need to be able to make each patient confident in their OD's abilities. I'm not trying to brag on my father or imply that he is superior to all other optometrists ever but he is an optometrist who hires other optometrists and according to him he has noticed a difference in the skill a confidence levels of students from different universities. I have also heard similar conclusions from optometrists I've shadowed at different practices

The thing that is so impressive is the volume of patients seen every day. I would also say that to be outselling most practices across the united states is pretty impressive. In order to see that many patients you need very skilled optometrists and to keep that many patients your optometrists also need to be able to make each patient confident in their OD's abilities. I'm not trying to brag on my father or imply that he is superior to all other optometrists ever but he is an optometrist who hires other optometrists and according to him he has noticed a difference in the skill a confidence levels of students from different universities. I have also heard similar conclusions from optometrists I've shadowed at different practices

Just for the record, reps tell every doctor that they are the "top" at this or that.......it's just to get them to buy more stuff. All an ego boost.

I've had reps try to tell me I was "top" seller of xyz contact lenses when I know for a fact I don't even fit those lenses. It's all a sales scam.

Same as the random mailings we get pronouncing we have been selected as one of the top 100 ODs (or DDS or MDs) in the U.S. and they'd like to send us a plaque for everyone to see. All we have to do is send $119 plus P&H. Total scam that some ego-maniac gullible docs fall for. I actually have a good cataract OMD locally that has the plaque in his front office. I have to bite my tounge every time I visit :)

Just for the record, reps tell every doctor that they are the "top" at this or that.......it's just to get them to buy more stuff. All an ego boost.

I've had reps try to tell me I was "top" seller of xyz contact lenses when I know for a fact I don't even fit those lenses. It's all a sales scam.

Same as the random mailings we get pronouncing we have been selected as one of the top 100 ODs (or DDS or MDs) in the U.S. and they'd like to send us a plaque for everyone to see. All we have to do is send $119 plus P&H. Total scam that some ego-maniac gullible docs fall for. I actually have a good cataract OMD locally that has the plaque in his front office. I have to bite my tounge every time I visit :)
I don't want to be petty about this but they don't just tell him that to puff up his ego. The companies have invited him and my mom to complimentary weekends in new York on their company yachts for the weekend along with free tickets to major sporting events and trips out to las Vegas (just to name a few) all to thank him for being a top seller of their brand. But I realize I could be wrong and they could do that for everyone.

Anyway all of this has nothing to do with the original post and so I'm sorry for distracting from the purpose of the original post

Well I will just present my opinion. I do not know much about IAUPR besides what I've read on this forum and the stats that it has put up in the last couple of years.

First of all, I do not believe that the OAT is an IQ test. There is probably a positive correlation between hours studied and OAT scores. I am not saying that hours studied is the only factor, just a major one.

Secondly, I think that schools look at OAT scores and GPAs of incoming students to see how well a person will do in their school (as they should!). Generally students with lower GPAs and OAT scores will do poorer than students with high GPAs and OAT scores. Now, that does not mean a student with a low GPA and OAT score can't do better than a student with a high GPA and OAT score.

I believe that average GPAs and OAT scores generally tells how intelligent your class is.

Again, this is only my opinion.

DrSpontaneouz83, thanks for your post. You indeed nailed it.

Anyone else got accepted recently, for IAUPR's Class of '16? :welcome:

thank you so much for everyone who posted on this thread i was confused if i should attend the school for various reasons but after reading everyone's responses and comparing the pro and con i have a very good idea about iaupr =]

I hear that IAUPR's curriculum has changed. How will lecture exams be given? All classes into one final exam like boards?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Apparently Shnurek has a history of pontificating.:)

tumblr_liksechtRU1qfz3l8.png

I hear that IAUPR's curriculum has changed. How will lecture exams be given? All classes into one final exam like boards?

yes the curriculum has changed for the current 1st years and all classes following them (co of 2016..etc).

im not quite sure by your statement...the tests are standard, some on paper, some on computer...can you elaborate...yes the profs are trying to mimic board style Qs like multiple response, clinical based qs...etc.

Other current students will def. be happy to respond.

yes the curriculum has changed for the current 1st years and all classes following them (co of 2016..etc).

im not quite sure by your statement...the tests are standard, some on paper, some on computer...can you elaborate...yes the profs are trying to mimic board style Qs like multiple response, clinical based qs...etc.

Other current students will def. be happy to respond.

I see. I was just wondering what the major difference between the previous curriculum is and the new curriculum? Overall, class exams will include board style questions? I heard the exams for all classes will be combined into one and given each week, a more intense curriculum. Could you please tell us more about the new curriculum.

OATAcer, maybe this can help you with your first question about the new curriculum: http://www.optonet.inter.edu/pdf/curriculum_proposal_2010-11.pdf This contain the Proposed (which was initiated by the class of 2015) & the Previous totals for the Class Credits, Lecture hours, Lab hours, Screening hour, Clinical Hours. One notable difference is the early exposure and added hours for the "clinical" experience for 1st & 2nd year.

I am not yet a student; however, I highly recommend you to browse through IAUPR's official website at http://www.optonet.inter.edu/ for more info

That link was the proposed curriculum. I have seen the new curriculum. Iaupr has a new website. I am wondering the difference between old and new curriculum.

Last edited:
I think the proposed curriculum has been approved(the link I posted earlier) and currently being used by the class of 2015.

Hmmm. In terms of the difference between the old and new curriculum: Superficially, (as i said earlier) one notable difference is the early patient exposure for 1st year (during their 2nd semester) and added hours for the "clinical" during 2nd year. Also, the institution added summer course for 1st year during June. It seems to me that you're looking for a deeper type of answer. I hope the current students are able to help you with that. Good day to you.

Last edited:
I see. I was just wondering what the major difference between the previous curriculum is and the new curriculum? Overall, class exams will include board style questions? I heard the exams for all classes will be combined into one and given each week, a more intense curriculum. Could you please tell us more about the new curriculum.

Tests for each class are spread out over the semester (no matter what year of study you are). No, exams are "not combined" from different classes. Some major differences is earlier exposure to clinical skills and patients, summer sessions are now mandatory, and a more intense curriculum to match the applied science nature of the boards.

Tests for each class are spread out over the semester (no matter what year of study you are). No, exams are "not combined" from different classes. Some major differences is earlier exposure to clinical skills and patients, summer sessions are now mandatory, and a more intense curriculum to match the applied science nature of the boards.

This is all good news. Btw, did you enjoy conversational Spanish at iaupr?

This is all good news. Btw, did you enjoy conversational Spanish at iaupr?

Haha, we had a new teacher who started my first year, so things werent as smooth as could be. Now the current first years are getting the better end of the stick (now that the teacher has been able to iron the kinks out in her syllabus). It obviously helped and we had a good time learning basic spanish along with our case history.

you learn lots by going out on the island and actually trying speaking with locals...listening to radio, watching spanish tv...etc.

the new curriculum as opposed to the older one is aiming at making its students more prepared for boards. It also is now more integrative. All of your classes flow better than they did. It is themed more like other professional schools. While many other professional schools (medicine, dental) utilize a "module-based" program, Optometry schools are still utilizing the semester, trimester, or quarter system.

The new curriculum comes as close as "module based" as you can get, though it is still in a semester based program.

what does this mean in English?
it means that now instead of taking 1 class of general anatomy, and 1 class of general pharm, and 1 class of general physiology and all are going over different body parts at different times...now the classes have the combined ideas...integrating material from all three (or more) into 1 class, and taking several semesters wotth until you have covered the entire body. This is just an example. The classes are now "systems based"...so all of your classes will be talking about a given organ or system of organs....you'll cover throughout all your classes, all the histology, the anatomy, the diseases, all the biochemistry, all the pharmacology all the treatment...etc...one system at a time - one by one.

the old curriculum...we were studying the heart in anatomy, the kidney in physiology, wait a semester, study the general pharm of those, and the another semester to get the pathology and treatment.

the new curriculum is much better. It is comparative to majority of all of the other optometry schools now.

sorry so wordy...hope this helps

the new curriculum as opposed to the older one is aiming at making its students more prepared for boards. It also is now more integrative. All of your classes flow better than they did. It is themed more like other professional schools. While many other professional schools (medicine, dental) utilize a "module-based" program, Optometry schools are still utilizing the semester, trimester, or quarter system.

The new curriculum comes as close as "module based" as you can get, though it is still in a semester based program.

what does this mean in English?
it means that now instead of taking 1 class of general anatomy, and 1 class of general pharm, and 1 class of general physiology and all are going over different body parts at different times...now the classes have the combined ideas...integrating material from all three (or more) into 1 class, and taking several semesters wotth until you have covered the entire body. This is just an example. The classes are now "systems based"...so all of your classes will be talking about a given organ or system of organs....you'll cover throughout all your classes, all the histology, the anatomy, the diseases, all the biochemistry, all the pharmacology all the treatment...etc...one system at a time - one by one.

the old curriculum...we were studying the heart in anatomy, the kidney in physiology, wait a semester, study the general pharm of those, and the another semester to get the pathology and treatment.

the new curriculum is much better. It is comparative to majority of all of the other optometry schools now.

sorry so wordy...hope this helps

That is good news. Well more organized. Sounds like a lot less stress for the students because all the concepts reappear semester after semester and it prepares the students for boards. Right? But why is iaupr expensive with living costs? $45k.

That is good news. Well more organized. Sounds like a lot less stress for the students because all the concepts reappear semester after semester and it prepares the students for boards. Right? But why is iaupr expensive with living costs? $45k.

That is a good question!
Puerto Rico just has a higher cost of living than many places. Similar to Hawaii. Things have to be shipped here. Prices are increased because of it. There is no major export from here to offset, so everything has to be "imported". to give you an idea, milk costs $6.00 a gallon here. It's just a fact of life. Housing isn't that much more than other metro areas in the nation, but if you are coming from a rural area...the cost of living is going to spike sharply. But if you are coming from LA or NYC or somewhere like that, cost of living in puerto rico might be much less than what you are accustomed to.

Tuition costs are pretty average and even on the lower end compared to the rest of them. It is a private institution so there is no Out Of State tuition, which is good!

That is a good question!
Puerto Rico just has a higher cost of living than many places. Similar to Hawaii. Things have to be shipped here. Prices are increased because of it. There is no major export from here to offset, so everything has to be "imported". to give you an idea, milk costs $6.00 a gallon here. It's just a fact of life. Housing isn't that much more than other metro areas in the nation, but if you are coming from a rural area...the cost of living is going to spike sharply. But if you are coming from LA or NYC or somewhere like that, cost of living in puerto rico might be much less than what you are accustomed to.

Tuition costs are pretty average and even on the lower end compared to the rest of them. It is a private institution so there is no Out Of State tuition, which is good!

I see. Well explained. Thank you for your replies.

45K will let you live like a king here in bayamon....that figure is unusually escalated by the schools website...

you need 25k/year for tuition...if u live at the dorms (500/month) for 12 months, you do the math...

many many of us are moving out or already live off campus and pay a better rate (300-400/month WITH UTILITIES), so again do the math...the savings are incredible...

living costs persay are not ridiculous..if u spend wisely. I eat well, enjoy going out, and bought a few extras gizmos/gadgets and still had plenty left over to float me for summer from my fafsa loans. Once third year comes, you probably already have a car and all equipment costs are already taken care of..."costs" essentially go down again.

in fact i would say IAUPR is cheaper than others (not all)...if u are basing on total costs (tuition, living...etc)

45K will let you live like a king here in bayamon....that figure is unusually escalated by the schools website...

you need 25k/year for tuition...if u live at the dorms (500/month) for 12 months, you do the math...

many many of us are moving out or already live off campus and pay a better rate (300-400/month WITH UTILITIES), so again do the math...the savings are incredible...

living costs persay are not ridiculous..if u spend wisely. I eat well, enjoy going out, and bought a few extras gizmos/gadgets and still had plenty left over to float me for summer from my fafsa loans. Once third year comes, you probably already have a car and all equipment costs are already taken care of..."costs" essentially go down again.

in fact i would say IAUPR is cheaper than others (not all)...if u are basing on total costs (tuition, living...etc)

That's great. You pocket more coming out of OD school. So on IAUPR's website, I guess that is a bad estimate.

I would agree that its a good estimate only if you max out all of your loans, but if you can afford to be a bit cautious with your money, I would agree with keeshdawg. its definately do-able with less, especially if you are a single student.

so, here are the numbers behind it.

45K includes tuition, fees, brand new books, equipment, etc etc.
remember, tuition is one of the lower ones here at puerto rico @ 25,500.00 (fees not included). There is no out-of-state tuition here, as it is a private school - which is a definite plus.
The remaining portion after tuition leaves you with about ~$20K a year...if you max out your loans. $20K isn't much anywhere, on the mainland or on the island, but you can make it stretch. A single student with no other financial obligations can live off of that easy. A married student, or one with other financial obligations, can make it work, but they just need to be more thrifty.

however, this is typical of the amount you will have left over in ALL professional schools...and many schools have it worse off than that.

In the end, school is expensive, no matter where you go, and things will be a little tighter while going to school than actually working, but the school here in Puerto Rico is definitely on the lower end of expense for optometry schools.

I hope someone can help me with this: for some reason I always have a hard time trying to get in touch with Mr. Jose Colon (admissions officer IAUPR). Everytime I call no one pick up...even if I leave voicemails, they never call me back. I've also emailed them many times and that is not working either. Can any current students suggest a better way in getting touch with the admissions office? Maybe a different number? Thanks :)

Well, you know in warm climates people are often more laid back :p

I am a student here at IAUPR, and I am very displeased with a wide variety of things. It's tough to know where to start. I wish I had known the following prior to ever even considering this place.

First, the location of the school is terrible. There are fences, gates, iron bars, dog packs, crowing roosters, and a basic lack of any real comforts. The dorms are 3 years old and it's a moldy disaster. You will be "taught" in "English" but this is really an exaggeration. It is difficult to understand many professors, and their notes for the class will be provided on Power Point slides, thousands of them, yeah really. The notes, when you finally get them, which could be a couple days prior to an exam, are riddled with errors, misspellings, grammatical mistakes, and just plain lack of organization and explanation. Your exams will be difficult and will seem as though they are from somewhere else much of the time.

Expect your class averages to be anywhere from 50-70%. It will rarely eclipse this mark. There are major misspellings and grammatical errors on exams, including significant misspellings of drugs on pharmacology exams. Don't expect to get a break on these questions, you won't. People call it a self-study school, and it def is! The problem is that you must pass THEIR exams. The school routinely allows professors to conduct courses where an extraordinary number of people often fail. They then conduct summer courses where the tuition is 3 times as much, which you MUST take to continue, and curiously everyone then passes, hmmm.

There are some "nice" people and professors, but I would not say that any of them care in the least, and it is reflected in their very lazy, often aloof, pass the buck approach to teaching. It really as bad as it sounds. I would NEVER do it again, not a chance in the world. Our National Boards pass rate is and has been pretty dismal. It may be trending up slightly, but it's still so low that what's the difference. They have made a "big" curriculum change, that took 8 years to plan and implement. I don't even know how that is possible, but the new change is supposed to prepare the new students earlier for Boards. This, like most everything at IAUPR has completely missed the mark. The problem is the course materials, they are awful, and that hasn't changed at all. Most schools will provide the semesters/years material at the beginning of a year or term, and they will be very well done, very comprehensive and there is some level accountability for mistakes/omissions. Not here. You may get things at any time, mostly right before class, and they often will continue to be changed and modified. Hopefully you have not used these for your notes, because a new version will appear in a variety of places on-line, that you must patrol constantly, and there is seldom any notice of these changes. Frankly, asking for that courtesy offends them.

You will have to learn Spanish, and be proficient to give an exam (much of it anyway), by the end of first year. You will be getting bombarded in some of your courses and have to take time away from this to learn Spanish. The assignments in Spanish often waste considerable time and for little pay-off. If you are not completely committed to learning Spanish, or already know it, think about this carefully. It is not a fun addition.

Also, expect the unexpected, the last minute, the complete lack of planning, and what is called "island time". It's basically just code for lazy, last minute anything, and it's REEEAAL annoying. For instance try to book a flight home for break, ooops they don't have summer schedule done in May of the SAME YEAR! Yeah, really. That's one example, I could fill a page with more from just this semester.

The island does have some nice spots, but it is primarily crowded, dirty, VERY difficult to get around, loud, and fairly expensive. For instance, we are 8-10 miles or so from the beach (San Juan), and during most times of the day it is a 30-40 minute drive. During rush hours, it could easily take 2 hours. Yes, the traffic and driving is as bad as I have ever seen, LA and NYC included. It's not the worst thing about being here, but it's no picnic either. BTW, if you don't have a car and you live on campus, your life can suck real bad, real quick. There is a Sam's Club and a Walgreens within walking distance, but aside from that, little else, or you must drive. Don't walk alone at night, no really, don't. Heck don't walk with a large unarmed group. I have heard gunshots from near the dorms countless times.

In any case, I'm not saying don't come here. I am saying know what you are getting into. This place is not for the faint of heart, and you must be prepared to teach yourself, and in many cases find relevant material and detailed diagrams yourself. We are often given far out of date unlabeled diagrams, and other very poorly assembled materials, some appearing as though they are cell phone pictures. Yes, you can pass Boards, and you can get your OD degree here, but it WILL be a significant challenge, and you will absolutely pay the price for it. One last thing, if you think you can argue a point or two here or there with prof's, or champion some great change and big movement, forget that. You will kill enormous amounts of time with that. The Prof's here are very clique-y and they are WAAAAY beyond reproach. In spite of the fact that they make ALOT of mistakes, and there is a sizable language barrier, you will almost never get the benefit of the doubt, let alone a break.

Well, you have been warned. I may receive some knee jerk feedback that tries to paint the school in a better light, but come here and see. Just remember you were told.

Best of luck Future O.D.'s, we def need it here :laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user