IAUPR...The hidden gem of Optometry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am a student here at IAUPR, and I am very displeased with a wide variety of things. It's tough to know where to start. I wish I had known the following prior to ever even considering this place.

First, the location of the school is terrible. There are fences, gates, iron bars, dog packs, crowing roosters, and a basic lack of any real comforts. The dorms are 3 years old and it's a moldy disaster. You will be "taught" in "English" but this is really an exaggeration. It is difficult to understand many professors, and their notes for the class will be provided on Power Point slides, thousands of them, yeah really. The notes, when you finally get them, which could be a couple days prior to an exams, are riddled with errors, misspellings, grammatical mistakes, and just plain lack of organization and explanation. Your exams will be difficult and will seem as though they are from somewhere else much of the time.

Expect your class averages to be anywhere from 50-70%. It will rarely eclipse this mark. There are major misspellings and grammatical errors on exams, including significant misspellings of drugs on pharmacology exams. Don't expect to get a break on these questions, you won't. People call it a self-study school, and it def is! The problem is that you must pass THEIR exams. The school routinely allows professors to conduct courses where an extraordinary number of people often fail. They then conduct summer courses where the tuition is 3 times as much, which you MUST take to continue, and curiously everyone then passes, hmmm.

There are some "nice" people and professors, but I would not say that any of them care in the least, and it is reflected in their very lazy, often aloof, pass the buck approach to teaching. It really as bad as it sounds. I would NEVER do it again, not a chance in the world. Our National Boards pass rate is and has been pretty dismal. It may be trending up slightly, but it's still so low that what's the difference. They have made a "big" curriculum change, that took 8 years to plan and implement. I don't even know how that is possible, but the new change is supposed to prepare the new students earlier for Boards. This, like most everything at IAUPR has completely missed the mark. The problem is the course materials, they are awful, and that hasn't changed at all. Most schools will provide the semesters/years material at the beginning of a year or term, and they will be very well done, very comprehensive and there is some level accountability for mistakes/omissions. Not here. You may get things at any time, mostly right before class, and they often will continue to be changed and modified. Hopefully you have not used these for your notes, because a new version will appear in a variety of places on-line, that you must patrol constantly, and there is seldom any notice of these changes. Frankly, asking for that courtesy offends them.

You will have to learn Spanish, and be proficient to give an exam (much of it anyway), by the end of first year. You will be getting bombarded in some of your courses and have to take time away from this to learn Spanish. The assignments in Spanish often waste considerable time and for little pay-off. If you are not completely committed to learning Spanish, or already know it, think about this carefully. It is not a fun addition.

Also, expect the unexpected, the last minute, the complete lack of planning, and what is called "island time". It's basically just code for lazy, last minute anything, and it's REEEAAL annoying. For instance try to book a flight home for break, ooops they don't have summer schedule done in May of the SAME YEAR! Yeah, really. That's one example, I could fill a page with more from just this semester.

The island does have some nice spots, but it is primarily crowded, dirty, VERY difficult to get around, loud, and fairly expensive. For instance, we are 8-10 miles or so from the beach (San Juan), and during most times of the day it is a 30-40 minute drive. During rush hours, it could easily take 2 hours. Yes, the traffic and driving is as bad as I have ever seen, LA and NYC included. It's not the worst thing about being here, but it's no picnic either. BTW, if you don't have a car and you live on campus, your life can suck real bad, real quick. There is a Sam's Club and a Walgreens within walking distance, but aside from that, little else, or you must drive. Don't walk alone at night, no really, don't. Heck don't walk with a large unarmed group. I have heard gunshots from near the dorms countless times.

In any case, I'm not saying don't come here. I am saying know what you are getting into. This place is not for the faint of heart, and you must be prepared to teach yourself, and in many cases find relevant material and detailed diagrams yourself. We are often given far out of date unlabeled diagrams, and other very poorly assembled materials, some appearing as though they are cell phone pictures. Yes, you can pass Boards, and you can get your OD degree here, but it WILL be a significant challenge, and you will absolutely pay the price for it. One last thing, if you think you can argue a point or two here or there with prof's, or champion some great change and big movement, forget that. You will kill enormous amounts of time with that. The Prof's here are very clique-y and they are WAAAAY beyond reproach. In spite of the fact that they make ALOT of mistakes, and there is a sizable language barrier, you will almost never get the benefit of the doubt, let alone a break.

Well, you have been warned. I may receive some knee jerk feedback that tries to paint the school in a better light, but come here and see. Just remember you were told.

Best of luck Future O.D.'s, we def need it here :laugh:

I'm glad someone was FINALLY honest! I personally would never go to PR, even if it was FREE! If you're so desperate to learn Spanish, pick up a frickin box of Rosetta Stone and save yourself some airplane ticket money lol.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! I recently got accepted into IAUPR and was wondering if anyone who has gone there would be willing to give any pros and cons about their time there before committing. Any and all feedback would be wonderful!