ID vs Tropical Disease vs Travel Medicine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RIchSaint

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm new here, and I have no idea where to post this, so I'm posting it here. I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to post this and for any inconvenience this will cause. Now that my apologies are over, I have a question that will probably seem ludicrous, but I have been Googling for hours and not found a concrete answer. So here it goes: is there a particular difference between the specialties of infectious disease, tropical disease, and travel medicine? The reason why I ask is because I am to create a presentation for my intro to healthcare class (did I mention I am in high school?) and my teacher told me to do my project on travel medicine, while telling two other students to do theirs on ID and tropical disease. But the information seems to blur across these three specialties.

That was a bit wordy, sorry. Thanks for anyone who dares to help me (and let me know if this was the right place to ask).

Members don't see this ad.

ID is local microorganisms (staph, strep, etc), but it's also the name of the whole specialty which means it encompasses everything. Tropical is exotic infections such as malaria, dengue, leishmaniasis, etc, and travel med is basically vaccines against the latter. Not a very kind division to make by your teacher. Good luck!