Official 2022-2023 Infectious Disease Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi everyone! Quick question I know some programs offer an optional additional year (3rd year) for which one has to find their own funding but I wanted to clarify that we don't have to look for funding options for 2 years of fellowship right for all programs? Only if one decided to do an additional 3rd year? Thanks!
My understanding is that all fellowships should be covering you for at least 2 years, since that is the minimum requirement to complete ID fellowship.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone! Quick question I know some programs offer an optional additional year (3rd year) for which one has to find their own funding but I wanted to clarify that we don't have to look for funding options for 2 years of fellowship right for all programs? Only if one decided to do an additional 3rd year? Thanks!
All programs cover minimum 2 years

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone ever hear from Emory or reach out to the program?
I tried emailing them about a month ago to see if they were still sending out invites or if they were already all full. Never get a response.

Hi All ,
Thank you for the invaluable data regarding the NRMP statistics,

What are you guys using to determine if this program is a reasonable program workload wise? Is there general rules or signs? I heard from someone that I should mainly consider fellows words, should you take PD description less seriously regarding Schedule/ workload?

Hi All ,

What are you guys using to determine if this program is a reasonable program workload wise? Is there general rules or signs? I heard from someone that I should mainly consider fellows words, should you take PD description less seriously regarding Schedule/ workload?
Ask fellows

Hi All ,

ALWAYS ASK FELLOWS!

Matching season nearly upon us people!

Hi all,

Anyone who interviewed at UT Health Houston/MDACC and UTMB. Wanted to see what the impression was of the programs? Thank you!

I sent it to my #1 program to let them know
I always thought that was playing with fire. If they feel they have a for sure rank, might as well rank you lower since there's nothing to lose

Hi all,

Anyone who interviewed at UT Health Houston/MDACC and UTMB. Wanted to see what the impression was of the programs? Thank you!
Not this year but before. PD and fellows very welcoming. Personally felt there was too much of a focus on immunocompromised and transplant. Also seemed kinda busy

Friend interviewed at UTMB and said it seemed extremely busy and was ranking them lower

Hey everyone. Having some last minute doubts. I just wanted to get your opinions on something. How would you guys rank the following programs in terms of quality of clinical training, reputation and to a lesser degree, location. Any opinions would be appreciated:
Yale, BIDMC, northwestern , UTSW

Congratulations to everyone that matched!

The Umass Chan Medical School – Baystate, a 716-bed tertiary care teaching hospital, has an unexpected opening for a first year Infectious Disease fellow available July 1, 2023.

This is an ACGME-accredited 2-year academic clinically-oriented program that provides comprehensive training in the practice of infectious diseases. Our program has 10 faculty members involved in teaching, clinical service and research.

Our program readily provides fellows experience in:

• Microbiology (bacteriology, mycology, mycobacteriology, serology, and virology)
  • Clinical Research
  • Quality Improvement Process
  • Antimicrobial Stewardship
  • Infection control/Hospital Epidemiology
  • Clinical experience in hospital and outpatient infectious disease consultations including pediatric infectious disease experience, a dedicated HIV clinic, teaching on viral hepatitis treatment, wound care and STI management
Our graduates have pursued careers in academic programs and have been involved in teaching, clinical research and private practice.

Our graduates have achieved 100% ID board pass rate is in the last 15 years.

Baystate Health is western Massachusetts’ premier healthcare provider and is home to the prestigious UMass Chan Medical School - Baystate. The cornerstone of our organization is Baystate Medical Center, a 716-bed tertiary care hospital which boasts the region’s only Level-I trauma center and a special pathogens unit. Together with three community hospitals, Baystate Children’s Hospital and Baystate Medical Practices, we offer a diverse culture that provides outstanding opportunities for physicians to start and advance their career.

The Pioneer Valley is a thriving area located in western Massachusetts and provides extensive access to urban, suburban and rural amenities. When you live and work in the Pioneer Valley, you will enjoy picturesque four-season living, excellent schools and year-round social and cultural events. In fact, Massachusetts was once again ranked #1 in Education nationally by U.S. News and World Report[PA1] .

We invite you to consider our nurturing program to determine if it best fits your career goals. Please feel free to contact us with any questions you may have.

Please contact:

Durane Walker, MD

Associate Fellowship Program Director & Resident Education Coordinator

Division of Infectious Diseases

Assistant Professor, UMMS-Baystate

Baystate Health

759 Chestnut Street

Springfield, MA 01199

Telephone: 413-794-5376 Fax: 413-794-4199

Email [email protected]

Congrats to everyone who matched! I matched to my #1 Program. So i'm very happy.

Not this year but before. PD and fellows very welcoming. Personally felt there was too much of a focus on immunocompromised and transplant. Also seemed kinda busy

Friend interviewed at UTMB and said it seemed extremely busy and was ranking them lower

i felt the same thing at a lot of programs. Transplant and immunocompromised is the new "IT" thing . Or want to bring that part of their program to the forefront.