If reapplying, can you use the SAME personal statement you used the first time?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

uclakid

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So yea....If reapplying, can you use the SAME personal statement you used the first time?

Members don't see this ad.

I know I would generally use the same essay, but with current information integrated in. I saw an essay by a reapplicant (who got in the 2nd time), and he actually acknowledged his previous application and how he improved his application that year. For me, much of my historical information that I included in my essay obviously won't change, so I still would want to include that. But I like the idea of acknowledging my previous application and updating/including new information that shows you continue to love medicine and are motivated to get into med school.

I changed mine in its entirety. My first PS was about my life as a whole, sort of step by step showing how I arrived to where I am today. Decided to scrap that and make it more focused. I decided to amplify my discussion of my childhood (parents are physicians) and of my community service. Other facets of my life I still mentioned but kept concise. At any rate, I think Kenon's suggestion is just as appropriate, but I would definately NOT use the EXACT same PS.

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't use the same statement and I don't think you should. The way I think about it, if they didn't like my PS the first time around, they won't like it the second time either! You gotta present them with a new application...

I did what Khenon suggested. I kept most of the background info, but said that I was re-applying and explained why I thought I was a better applicant this time. Basically, I kept the first half and changed the second half.

Good luck! :luck:

I actually spoke to some admissions people about this question when I realized I had to re-apply. They said you should definetely at least tweakit to show what has changed in the past year. One of them said "if you don't (change it) it looks as though you are lazy and that is the last thing you want admissions committees to think." I personally rewrote mine including the most vital aspects of my previous PS and focussing on my activities since. I figured (and found out by asking the admissions offices of ten schools) that the ADCOM have access to your previous application if you applied there last year so you want to use the ne PS as a way to convey more about yourself that will add to your previous PS and application as a whole. Good luck everyone. :luck:

True. You should change it. An admissions committee member complained to me about this once. He said that the thing he hated most was seeing the same statements from the previous year in re-applicants. He added, if an applicant wanted to be taken as someone who seriously wants to get into medical school they should take the effort to change their statement.

I wondered the same thing when i was applying again and I ended up changing the whole thing, even though it was a lot of work. NOw that I think back about it it really wasnt a lot of work at all compared to one day of med school, they want to see that you understand that.

Hoya11 said:
NOw that I think back about it it really wasnt a lot of work at all compared to one day of med school, they want to see that you understand that.
:laugh: That's a really good point!

hey,

I was talking to an interviewer about my PS and they said that the adcomm actually pulls out your PS from previous applications and reads your application. They take a big look to see what changes have been made and I think they would really like to see some effort made. I mean, in reality, it's a tough thing to accomplish, being 100% satisfied with your PS.... but anyhow, our ultimate goal is to get in, so why not try our 100% to impress them ;-) gluck.

uclakid said:
So yea....If reapplying, can you use the SAME personal statement you used the first time?

I would use the same general statement and modify it slightly, assuming that your original statement was well-thought out. You should have an admissions advisor from a medical school look it over if you haven't already (if possible, have several of them look it over). This is what I did as a reapplicant. You will get different advice, and you'll have to use your judgement when considering what to leave in and what to take out. But one thing you should definitely include are the new achievements or experiences you have completed in between applying last year and this year (could be volunteering, post-bac work, master's degree, any other notable experience...).

uclakid said:

If it did not work the first time (assuming your application is a "good one"), why would you risk using the same one. you should at least add/edit a few things!
-GOOD LUCK-

I agree-- it didn't work last year, why should it this year. Even if you know for a fact that the only reason you didn't get in last year (that's my story, and I'm sticking to it) is that you applied late, I would change it (and did). You only risk pissing off a committee member, and that's a risk you don't want to run.

PBMaxx said:
I agree-- it didn't work last year, why should it this year. Even if you know for a fact that the only reason you didn't get in last year (that's my story, and I'm sticking to it) is that you applied late, I would change it (and did). You only risk pissing off a committee member, and that's a risk you don't want to run.

Well, if the basic body is good, I think OP should use it. Definitely try and improve it, add some new insights or experiences, but assuming he's had it looked over by admissions advisors, there is nothing wrong with using many of the same themes, and keeping the main bulk of it.

At least, thats what I did, and it worked for me. 4 acceptances this year.

See i am reapplying also, but to more schools than i did last time. my aacomas personal statement was good i thought and since it would be seen for the first time by some schools i didn't change it much except to mention my new experiences. i figured i'd change the ps on the secondary apps of those schools i was reapplying to. i hope those schools aren't turned off by the aacomas ps. i realize i probably applied too late again anyway. i am pretty disgruntled by the "apply early or have no shot no matter how qualified you are" doctrine. it seems to me that a deadline is a deadline and anyone who applies before it should have a fair chance. otherwise move the deadline up to july if that's when you have to apply to have a chance! dammit!! :smuggrin:

Reactions: 1 user
I was a reapplicant this year and used probably 95% of my personal statement from last year. It was a tough decision but in the end I decided that it still rang true for me, and I firmly believed in and liked what I had said before. It's a bit naive to think that given 3500 words there is only one way to describe my desire to be a doctor, but at this point it's neither here nor there.

I post this merely to provide a point of reference. My mostly reused personal statement got me accepted this year.

I do, however, think it is foolish to put too much emphasis on the personal statement. Unless you were rejected pre-secondary or pre-interview, there is a lot more to be considered.

Yes by all means use the same personal statement that yiou used the first time around.

That will certainly show them exaclty how LAZY you can be and how STUPID you think they are.

Yeah dont be stupid...in most cases using the same PS will not work....dont be lazy and rewrite a new one....it doesnt mean that you have to come up with brand new ideas and concepts. Re-read your first PS and use those same ideas if you choose, but re-word it to create your second PS. Incorporate new activities or other things that you have done in the past year. Its not that hard, I had to do it when I reapplied, and it wasn't as bad as I thought.