If you could go back in time, would you still choose psychiatry? If still psych, would you have done anything different about your career?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If my kids are carpenters and plumbers, I'd be quite happy.

For myself, realistically, I was a lower middle class kid in a middle class town. We didn't dream big. Being a physician was the kind of paint-by-numbers pathway to success I needed given my intrinsic and extrinsic limitations. Telling me to grow up to be a hedge fund manager or entrepreneur would have been akin to telling me to go to Hogwarts.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 7 users
If my kids are carpenters and plumbers, I'd be quite happy.

For myself, realistically, I was a lower middle class kid in a middle class town. We didn't dream big. Being a physician was the kind of paint-by-numbers pathway to success I needed given my intrinsic and extrinsic limitations. Telling me to grow up to be a hedge fund manager or entrepreneur would have been akin to telling me to go to Hogwarts.

I came from the sort of family for whom the available occupations were: doctor, lawyer, minister, military officer, end of list. I have to go back reasonably far to find someone who wasn't in one of those categories, and he was literally a banker. If an 18th century aristocrat would not recognize it as a profession, it was not on the table. Different set of opportunities and resources but equally stultifying in terms of career horizons.

That said, within those boundaries, I probably choose psychiatry again every time.

Reactions: 2 users