IMG Internal Medicine Applicants - Match 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yes. It's been a total waste of year for me I haven't graduated yet but had good scores
Oh, in that case, im an IMG requiring a visa. This season has been awful for me, but im happy to have 3 IVs, cos i know there are people with 0. I wish everyone well though, because its tough for everybody.

I hope you have a much better experience when you do apply. Also please understand that this is my lone experience, my scores are average. Some people are having a blast, lol.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Oh, in that case, im an IMG requiring a visa. This season has been awful for me, but im happy to have 3 IVs, cos i know there are people with 0. I wish everyone well though, because its tough for everybody.

I hope you have a much better experience when you do apply. Also please understand that this is my lone experience, my scores are average. Some people are having a blast, lol.
I am glad you got 3 IVs. I am still at 0. Happy for you brother...Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
I don’t know anything about 5 of them, but Advent Health Orlando is legit. Huge hospital system with multiple services in a city with lots to do. No cardio fellowship and no idea on reputation, but they have the highest step scores in IM in the state. Bonus is the best vegetarian options I’ve ever seen (super important if you are vegetarian, but zero importance if you’re not. If you are then I can expand further).

memorial health has a nice healthcare system and GME infrastructure, but they are new-ish and probably no reputation at all. They do have a new cardiology fellowship starting in July. Also, they are in the Broward/near Miami area so also lots to do.
Thanks for your reply :) really appreciate your input.

Reactions: 1 user
Adventist Health White Memorial Program - REJECTION via LOI
Thank you for your interest in the Adventist Health White Memorial White Memorial Internal Medicine Residency. The Residency Recruitment Committee has finished extending interviews to categorical applicants. At this time, you will not receive an invitation to interview.

Rejection from Brookhaven after interviewing its prematch - they have filled all their spots

California Pacific Medical Center - REJECTION via ERAS

Kettering Medical Center - REJECTION via ERAS

Westchester Medical Center Program - REJECTION via ERAS

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Please help-
debating between Steward Carney, MA and AMITA St. Joseph, IL
Any input would be appreciated!

Please Help me rank IM programs
No location preference, not sure about fellowship, Quality of life & Training are most important
This are random orders
  1. Eisenhower california
  2. Stamford Connecticut
  3. Greater Baltimore medical centre
  4. St franciscan olympia field
  5. Zucker forest hill

Hi.. Any idea about when is the ideal time this month to certify the rank order list.? Shall I do it in next couple of days.? Or is it advised to wait for sometime before certifying it. Please clarify. Thanks!

Hi.. Any idea about when is the ideal time this month to certify the rank order list.? Shall I do it in next couple of days.? Or is it advised to wait for sometime before certifying it. Please clarify. Thanks!
It makes absolutely no difference.

Makes no difference whatsoever, as long as you certify it at least once. You can make adjustments after you certify so if you change your mind, no problem. If you do edit it, be sure to recertify it. If you don't, your old list will be the one that gets submitted (which is a change from the past when an uncertified list was basically a non-existent list).

help me rank!
Thank you!
Cleveland, OHFairview Hospital/Cleveland Clinic
Framingham, MAMetroWest Medical Center
Rochester, NYRochester General Hospital
Salem, MANorth Shore Medical Center
Ann Arbor, MISt Joseph

Topic: Telling your #1 program that you’re ranking them #1.

Can someone who is very well informed in this topic please help.

So I keep hearing different things from different people. And these people are not some random people, they are attendings or residents or fellows, albeit most of them are on social media and I don’t personally know anyone.

Some say it’s illegal to give that information especially in a written form like an email. It’s an NRMP violation and if the program reports you then you’ll be in big trouble.
Some say it’s illegal to tell the exact number but you can tell them vaguely like I’m ranking you highly etc.
Some say there’s no point in using the words “highly or very high or top choice”, either tell them you’re my #1 clearly or just don’t tell anything at all. If you use vague words then it means you’re not ranking them 1 and that can backfire.

I’m super confused about this now. Ofcourse everyone has a #1 program. So do I and I’d also love to tell them . But there’s no way I would take such a risk if it’s illegal or nrmp violation.

Can someone please direct me to the exact document/website page where nrmp clearly describes these rules.

Everyone’s opinions/advices are welcome but please know that they will not be able to help me unless supported by concrete reference/evidence.

Thanks a lot!

So I keep hearing different things from different people. And these people are not some random people, they are attendings or residents or fellows, albeit most of them are on social media and I don’t personally know anyone.

Some say it’s illegal to give that information especially in a written form like an email. It’s an NRMP violation and if the program reports you then you’ll be in big trouble.
Some say it’s illegal to tell the exact number but you can tell them vaguely like I’m ranking you highly etc.
Some say there’s no point in using the words “highly or very high or top choice”, either tell them you’re my #1 clearly or just don’t tell anything at all. If you use vague words then it means you’re not ranking them 1 and that can backfire.

I’m super confused about this now. Ofcourse everyone has a #1 program. So do I and I’d also love to tell them . But there’s no way I would take such a risk if it’s illegal or nrmp violation.

Can someone please direct me to the exact document/website page where nrmp clearly describes these rules.

Everyone’s opinions/advices are welcome but please know that they will not be able to help me unless supported by concrete reference/evidence.

Thanks a lot!
you are allowed to tell them if:

it's the truth
you don't ask them how they're ranking you
you don't make it contingent upon how they're ranking you

Untrue
Untrue
True-ish
Feel free to tell them whatever you like. It will have no impact on their ranking of you and you should not adjust your ranking based on "love letters". Programs assume you're lying to them, you're best off assuming the same.
No. Use Google.

The rule in NRMP is about quid pro quo ranking and only programs can get in trouble for this.
Well never mind then. Ignore what I said above.

Reactions: 6 users

Reactions: 2 users

Untrue

Untrue

True-ish

Feel free to tell them whatever you like. It will have no impact on their ranking of you and you should not adjust your ranking based on "love letters". Programs assume you're lying to them, you're best off assuming the same.

No. Use Google.

The rule in NRMP is about quid pro quo ranking and only programs can get in trouble for this.

Well never mind then. Ignore what I said above.

@gutonc
No no I am not going to ignore what you said because with the links provided by sunshine it totally makes sense that the things you said are true. Thank you so much!

@sunshinefl
Even though I had read the second link “communication code of conduct”, I was still confused since it’s not written very clearly in it. The first link you provided (I had not come across this one before) helps a lot because it says there clearly applicants can volunteer that information. I am sorry I must have missed this page somehow while I was searching on my own. Thanks a lot for this!!! May you match at your #1 ranked program this cycle!!

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
Mentor has agreed to write a letter vouching for me to my #1 program. Has asked me to draft the letter.

A. Is it a good or bad idea?
B. Any pointers/advice how to go about writing it (if it's a good idea)

Mentor has agreed to write a letter vouching for me to my #1 program. Has asked me to draft the letter.

A. Is it a good or bad idea?
B. Any pointers/advice how to go about writing it (if it's a good idea)
Bad...if your mentor doesn’t know how to write that type of letter it’s because he either doesn’t regularly write these types of letters and doesn’t know the proper key/code wording...or doesn’t know you well enough to write a strong letter.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Would appreciate feedback
Very chilled out interview, it was 2 interviews 25 minutes each followed by a meet and greet with one resident. Its a small community-based program. Probably not the best fit for someone who wants fellowship. Interview itself was really laidback, they just asked why IM, why steward carney, things like that.

Could anyone give their input on Sinai Hospital of Baltimore vs. University of Maryland Midtown? Would really appreciate any input in terms of ranking!

Got an invite from a program which has already sent me a rejection. I wrote them an interest letter and they finally gave me the IV. So don't give up hope. If you still have an interest in a program, you can still send a letter despite the rejection. Good luck to everyone.

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 11 users
Got an invite from a program which has already sent me a rejection. I wrote them an interest letter and they finally gave me the IV. So don't give up hope. If you still have an interest in a program, you can still send a letter despite the rejection. Good luck to everyone.
That’s great

Help me rank these IM programs. I want to pursue primary care or endo/rheumato after residency.
1.Jacobi (primary track)
2.Icahn queens
3. St.Joseph Paterson (need any information regarding this program)
4. Creighton university Phoenix
5. Texas tech at El Paso
6. Eisenhower
7. St.Mary Waterbury
8. Meharry
9. Icahn at elmhurst

Did you receive it today?

Help me rank these IM programs. I want to pursue primary care or endo/rheumato after residency.
1.Jacobi (primary track)
2.Icahn queens
5. Texas tech at El Paso
6. Eisenhower
7. St.Mary Waterbury
8. Meharry
9. Icahn at elmhurst
St Joe’s is underrated...the pathology is great, the critical care tower is amazing and the hospital is on the black.
Cost of living in jersey is better...though wouldn’t live in Paterson.
I’d would edge it up over queens

1.Jacobi (primary track)
2.Icahn queens
5. Texas tech at El Paso
6. Eisenhower
7. St.Mary Waterbury
8. Meharry
9. Icahn at elmhurst

I rotated at St. Mary's. Well structured program and faculty is really approachable and hands-on. The only downside is... the location.

Help mi rank this 5 (they arent in any particular order)
1. Farview CC
2. Metrowest Framingham
3. RGH
4. Salem
5. St Joes Ann Arbor

I rotated at St. Mary's. Well structured program and faculty is really approachable and hands-on. The only downside is... the location
Its a small program, also I’ve heard there’s not much support for fellowship placement.

What does it mean when a program is not participating in ERAS? Aren't they taking any residents next year? Do we have to contact the programs directly?
It means that after the interview they will offer you a job and if you accept you will have to withdraw from the match.

If you can't be bothered to put them in a particular order, why should anyone else?
Thank you for your input!
Maybe you don't bother, but someone in this forum may have an opinion about ranking these 5 programs.
CCF Fairview, St Joes Ann Arbor, RGH, Salem, Framingham.

• Care
Hey guys, would appreciate any input on my ROL. Leaning towards a fellowship (Pulm CC/GI/ Endo) but keeping my options open. Main priorities apart from a possible fellowship are quality of training, program culture and overall happiness.

1. UConn
2. UConn New Britain (Primary care)
3. Medstar Washington
4. Mount Auburn
5. University of South Dakota
6. Loyola MacNeal
7. St. Agnes Baltimore
8. St. Vincent Worchester
9. Metrowest
10. Rochester Unity
11. West Virginia Camden Clark
12. Northeast Georgia Medical Centre