IMG Internal Medicine Applicants - Match 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If you match into a prelim, you can apply the next year for Anesthesia R positions to start in 2022, or A positions to start in 2023. But when you will be finalizing and submitting your application (late Aug / early Sept) you'll have completed 2 months of IM residency. Getting a "good LOR" may be difficult at that point, likely your letter will say "tommy has started in our program and is doing as we would expect for an early intern" -- and that assumes that all goes well in your transition to the US.

Your other choice is to get a PGY-2 IM position. These aren't in the match, your PD will need to help you find one. It's difficult to do both -- you'll want to get a PGY-2 position long before mid March if possible. But if you get lots of Anesthesia invites, you could decide to await the match and getting a PGY-2 IM spot after the match isn't impossible (but better places may fill earlier than that).

Regarding not ranking new programs - your chance of getting a fellowship is zero if you don't match. if you don't rank these programs and don't match, what's your plan? You mention lack of US clinical experience as the problem (which is probably correct), how do you plan to fix this? If not, why would you expect your application to be any more successful next year?
Thanks for the great reply! You pointed out a lot of things that I didn’t think about. I’ll be following your advice and ranking everything. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you. 80-90% of my ROL is categorical. Sounds like I should risk myself for a partial match than violation of the rules :(
The good news is that if you match an advanced spot and then end up in SOAP for a prelim, you'll be a more competitive candidate. You'll already have a PGY-2 plan, won't need to apply again, etc.

Hi guys. A weird question by the way since I am a first timer for the IV season. Interviewed with Brookdale and have not heard back from them regarding the pre-match. I am not able to find the NRMP code. Does that mean I cant rank that program for the match.?.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys. A weird question by the way since I am a first timer for the IV season. Interviewed with Brookdale and have not heard back from them regarding the pre-match. I am not able to find the NRMP code. Does that mean I cant rank that program for the match.?.

Yes, you can’t rank that program. Prematch programs do not participate in the match and so they don’t have a nrmp code.

Yes, you can’t rank that program. Prematch programs do not participate in the match and so they don’t have a nrmp code.
Oh okay. I didn't know that. Thanks for your response. So, can I still expect a response from Brookdale regarding the Pre-match offer.? or they would have filled all the spots already.?

Oh okay. I didn't know that. Thanks for your response. So, can I still expect a response from Brookdale regarding the Pre-match offer.? or they would have filled all the spots already.?

No problem. Sorry no idea about your next question.

Anyone know about Creighton university Phoenix program? Do they have 24 hrs calls? And do they have their own panel of patients in their outpatient now that it’s merged?!

Did anyone know anything about Tower health Pheonixville new program accredited on 1/22/21?

Hi guys, I would really appreaciate your help regarding ROL. Any honest opinions about any programs are welcomed.
following are the programs :
  • Creighton Uni (phoenix)- AZ
  • Hurley medical center/ Michigan state uni- MI
  • Flushing Medical center- NY
  • Zucker school of medicine at northwell/ hofstra at Mather hospital- NY
  • Icahn school of medicine (Elmhurst) -NY health & Hospitals- NY
  • Healthquest Medical center- NY
  • Capital health regional program- NJ
  • Berkshire Medical Center- MA

Hi guys, I would really appreaciate your help regarding ROL. Any honest opinions about any programs are welcomed.

My friend is a resident at:
He really likes it, its a new program as you probably know however they have a really healthy environment and supportive faculty

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know about training quality of Greater Baltimore medical centre (GBMC) ?

Anyone knows about Eisenhower? Especially regarding the training and diversity of patient population and pathologies?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone knows about Eisenhower? Especially regarding the training and diversity of patient population and pathologies?
They said training is good and It's mostly primary care/hospitalist oriented....NOT MUCH patient diversity mostly bread and butter cases (patient flow increase during winter and less during summer), high geriatric population

Reactions: 1 user
Can someone please tell me about LSU-Lafayette IM program? I can't actually find much about that program...Please help me

+IVs Broward & UC Riverside/St. Bernardine

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users

Hi! Would you happen to know if in Berkshire offers electives in other hospitals at MA? Interviewed there too and wondering where I should put it in my ROL.

Hi! Would you happen to know if in Berkshire offers electives in other hospitals at MA? Interviewed there too and wondering where I should put it in my ROL.
yeah i think they do offer electives in other hospitals of MA. What are other programs that you intervewed with?

Hello everyone. I need help with my ROL. I would like to go into Cards/Pulm-Crit/Rheum in the future.

1. Atlanticare Regional Medical Center, Atlantic City, NJ
2. University of Alabama Medical Center, Montgomery, Alabama
3. Bassett Medical Center, Cooperstown, NY (Inhouse Cards fell)
4. University of North Dakota, Fargo, ND

Any info about these programs is highly appreciated. Thank you!

When are you guys sending your love letters to the top programs on your ROL list?

Can anyone give insights on Wyckoff? Please and thank you

Does anyone know whether we can change our entire application for SOAP? Besides personal info, LOR and PS, can I also change the other information? Because I really want to change my hobbies etc

Does anyone know whether we can change our entire application for SOAP? Besides personal info, LOR and PS, can I also change the other information? Because I really want to change my hobbies etc

Yes you can change everything for SOAP.

Used to be seton hall...not sure if it’s still affiliated with them or nymc now
Sorry if I’m asking you a lot of questions, do you know what percent of patient population at St. Joseph are Spanish and if not knowing Spanish. could be challenging?

Sorry if I’m asking you a lot of questions, do you know what percent of patient population at St. Joseph are Spanish and if not knowing Spanish. could be challenging?
Pretty high population, mostly Dominican...but they have live interpreters so doable...your life will be easier there if you speak English, Spanish,Arabic, and Bengali.

All the best for match everyone!! Keep up the faith. It all works out.

Rokshana - I am pretty sure you mean well but your comments come across as patronizing and abrasive. I have noticed this for a long time and have resisted the temptation but couldn't hold myself from posting. If you put yourself in applicants' shoes - it might give you a better perspective.

All the best for match everyone!! Keep up the faith. It all works out.

Rokshana - I am pretty sure you mean well but your comments come across as patronizing and abrasive. I have noticed this for a long time and have resisted the temptation but couldn't hold myself from posting. If you put yourself in applicants' shoes - it might give you a better perspective.
every year someone has there feelings hurt...every.year...or feels the need judge people on their perception of what is the proper way to think, talk, and behave.

have you noticed that very few residents, fellows, attending post here? have you asked yourself they just let all all of you just pat each other on the back ...yes there is a place for that, but blowing constant sunshine up your shorts isn't helpful.

and it looks like you are a plastics resident...so would be surprised that you are an I/FMG and really know what that means in the aspect of trying to match...you probably had very little worry that you would match or get interviews...and programs were more than falling over you to pick them...as an IMG myself, that is not necessarily the experience we have...things don't work out in SOAP on average for I/FMGs since AMGs like yourself- those AOA, high achieving med students from T20 schools that for whatever reason didn't match into their ubercompetitve specialty that most I/FMGs can't even conceive of applying to are the chosen ones in the SOAP. Even if you were an I/FMG and matched into plastics...then you would be considered a superstar in the SOAP if you had not matched.

all of these things that you want to do...thank you notes, sending letters of interest, going on second looks (though this year i guess that is not happening)...they don't make a difference to the programs...the ACGME ACTIVELY discourages ANY post interview communication...yes, this includes these kind of things...some PDs will even say DO NOT send thank you notes, letters stating that you are their number 1, etc...and those that don't, really don't pay attention to them...they go into your file ...more often than not the PC is routing them away from the PD...you really think PDs at these programs have the time to read the thousands of these emails and snail mails coming from applicants...its not like being a PD is their only job...it is just part of their job...these people are active physicians with clinics, inpatient service, research, never mind all the endless administrative meetings they have and meeting with their residents as well.

so if you were taught to write thank you notes, (i'm Southern, its ingrained to do so from when you are little kid), write a thank you note...if it will make you feel better that you did everything to make sure the program know you are dying to be at their program, write that letter...but its like buying a lottery tix when the jackpot is $1 billion...sure there maybe a winner...but most are not making their fortune with that lottery tix.

and frankly, as an applicant (which was not that long ago), i would want someone to tell me the truth...even if i don't like that answer.

Last edited:
Yes you can change everything for SOAP.
This is not correct. Your app is your app, you've finalized it and there's no changing it. You can change your LOR's and PS. You can update your transript and MSPE if your school will re-upload them (but there's not much value to that, so I wouldn't bother). You can apply to anything in SOAP, regardless of what you applied to in the main match.

This is not correct. Your app is your app, you've finalized it and there's no changing it. You can change your LOR's and PS. You can update your transript and MSPE if your school will re-upload them (but there's not much value to that, so I wouldn't bother). You can apply to anything in SOAP, regardless of what you applied to in the main match.

I apologize in advance if it doesn’t come off the right way but I promise I don’t intend to start an argument here.

However, from what I know, you technically have to submit your ERAS application all over again (just like we submitted on/before October 21, 2020 for this match cycle) for SOAP. This means if you want to add anything that you might have done during this time period (e.g. Nov - Feb) you can do that as well as change your hobbies etc.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

EDIT: OMG I stand corrected!
@NotAProgDirector is right. You cannot certify and submit the ERAS application again for SOAP. It’s only the one time you did that back in October. The same ERAS application will be used. You can only “submit” it to the programs now. I guess this “submit” word had really misled me previously. I tried to understand things in detail after @NotAProgDirector pointed out. This comes as a shock to me as well because I was planning on adding a few things that I’m involved in these days in case I have to participate in SOAP. Turns out that’s not possible.

Thanks for taking me out of my happy bubble @NotAProgDirector

Last edited:
I have a friend who was a former resident at a program. I got the interview by her referral and the day of my interview, the program interviewed 11 applicants who have been referred by the current residents/staff. My interview went very well, APD talked with me about my connection with the former resident, I wrote thank you email to all 3 nterviewers, one atually wrote back. I have been contemplating that whether i should put this program first or should I go with the one that I really liked?
I am really confused. Please help!!

I have a friend who was a former resident at a program. I got the interview by her referral and the day of my interview, the program interviewed 11 applicants who have been referred by the current residents/staff. My interview went very well, APD talked with me about my connection with the former resident, I wrote thank you email to all 3 nterviewers, one atually wrote back. I have been contemplating that whether i should put this program first or should I go with the one that I really liked?

Do you understand how the rank list works ? Go with the one you really liked.

every year someone has there feelings hurt...every.year...or feels the need judge people on their perception of what is the proper way to think, talk, and behave.

have you noticed that very few residents, fellows, attending post here? have you asked yourself they just let all all of you just pat each other on the back ...yes there is a place for that, but blowing constant sunshine up your shorts isn't helpful.

and it looks like you are a plastics resident...so would be surprised that you are an I/FMG and really know what that means in the aspect of trying to match...you probably had very little worry that you would match or get interviews...and programs were more than falling over you to pick them...as an IMG myself, that is not necessarily the experience we have...things don't work out in SOAP on average for I/FMGs since AMGs like yourself- those AOA, high achieving med students from T20 schools that for whatever reason didn't match into their ubercompetitve specialty that most I/FMGs can't even conceive of applying to are the chosen ones in the SOAP. Even if you were an I/FMG and matched into plastics...then you would be considered a superstar in the SOAP if you had not matched.

all of these things that you want to do...thank you notes, sending letters of interest, going on second looks (though this year i guess that is not happening)...they don't make a difference to the programs...the ACGME ACTIVELY discourages ANY post interview communication...yes, this includes these kind of things...some PDs will even say DO NOT send thank you notes, letters stating that you are their number 1, etc...and those that don't, really don't pay attention to them...they go into your file ...more often than not the PC is routing them away from the PD...you really think PDs at these programs have the time to read the thousands of these emails and snail mails coming from applicants...its not like being a PD is their only job...it is just part of their job...these people are active physicians with clinics, inpatient service, research, never mind all the endless administrative meetings they have and meeting with their residents as well.

so if you were taught to write thank you notes, (i'm Southern, its ingrained to do so from when you are little kid), write a thank you note...if it will make you feel better that you did everything to make sure the program know you are dying to be at their program, write that letter...but its like buying a lottery tix when the jackpot is $1 billion...sure there maybe a winner...but most are not making their fortune with that lottery tix.

and frankly, as an applicant (which was not that long ago), i would want someone to tell me the truth...even if i don't like that answer.

Rokshana - Yes, I am a plastic surgery chief resident and yes I am an IMG. I worked very very hard (and also was lucky) to get where I am. So - nothing was served on a silver platter. And this perception of things are easier for AMG might be true but only to an extent. Everyone is fighting their own battle. My feelings are not hurt . I have received/given feedback innumerable time. I don't have slightest doubt that you mean well and come from a good place but I just felt that your comments are generally negative and condescending.

I know of lots of IMGs in surgery and surgical specialties and have mentored quite a few of them. I never discourage them or never talk down to them cos nothing is out of reach if you have the grit. And, many of them matched into surgical residencies. So, this assumption that since I am in Plastics and shouldn't be an IMG is not correct.

I know about lots of program where thank you letters, second look, expressing specific reasons why you want to be in that specific programs, having your mentors reach out to the PD matters. Unless the program specifically mentions against it - you can communicate if you truly feel that way. It may not help but it almost never hurts, Speaking from personal and shared experience!

The applicants are not really patting on their back. They are mostly sharing information and asking very relevant questions.

My initial comment was not just related to any single post of yours but from the culmination of your posts over a period of time. There are other folks on the thread who are attendings, senior residents etc. and give answers which seem very appropriate even if it's not what any applicant would want to hear. It's not the content - its the tone which leaves a lot to be desired and to a third person - it seems to be bordering on bullying! That's not the culture in our program (it shouldn't be the case anywhere else) and it just seemed very very odd to me. My sense is that lots of applicants share that concern but just don't want to get into it. A few of them have in the past and you just shut them down saying " this is why attendings don't get on this forum"

This sounds like one of those attendings who would yell at residents/medical students cos they want them to "do well". It's 2021 and unfortunately doesn't cut it any more. I truly respect my attendings and co-residents but not scared of them. I am not scared to raise my point if I see any system related issues and this is in a setting of very well-reputed university program where things are more set in stone. Things are generally more laidback when we go for our community hospital rotations.

I apologize for hijacking this thread since it's meant for IMG IM thread but I just felt - it needed to be said. I don't plan on replying any further but just wanted to share my thoughts .

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Your #1 choice must ALWAYS be the one you desire to work/ train at. The algorithm tries to accommodate the applicants preference (applicant favoring).

Your #1 choice must ALWAYS be the one you desire to work/ train at. The algorithm tries to accommodate the applicants preference (applicant favoring).
#Batmanisreal88 - You have tremendous grit. Don't ever lose that. It will serve you very well throughout. Not just for residency but even beyond in your professional career . It always seems tough till it's done. I really hope that you match into your dream program.

#Batmanisreal88 - You have tremendous grit. Don't ever lose that. It will serve you very well throughout. Not just for residency but even beyond in your professional career . It always seems tough till it's done. I really hope that you match into your dream program.
Thank you. Having gone through this process twice (this being the third attempt). My general response to the outcome of the Match is : We shall see. Time will tell.

Appreciate your kind words.

Reactions: 4 users
Thank you. Having gone through this process twice (this being the third attempt). My general response to the outcome of the Match is : We shall see. Time will tell.

Appreciate your kind words.
My batchmate and very good friend (an IMG as well) applied in ortho twice. Had only one interview and matched. And is now a faculty at in Harvard ortho program at MGH. So you never know your limits till you push them. One thing I have noticed in the US medicine system that people appreciate your tenacity and perseverance and it always pays off as long as you are sincere in your efforts. All the best again!

Reactions: 3 users
Did anyone know anything about Tower health Pheonixville new program accredited on 1/22/21?

Any news on this program? Has anyone received an interview invite from them or heard anything about them?

Hey! Posting this here instead of "help me rank" because I feel the latter is dominated by AMGs who would not have a clue about these low-tier community places. Want to do PCCM or hem/onc in future (no cards/GI for sure). Reputation/training >> quality of life. My current list is as follows, any input appreciated:

NYMC metropolitan
MacNeal Hospital
St. Vincent Worcester
Crozer Chester
AMITA St. Francis, Evanston
Lincoln NY
Trinitas Medical Center, NJ

Thanks!!!

Hey! Posting this here instead of "help me rank" because I feel the latter is dominated by AMGs who would not have a clue about these low-tier community places. Want to do PCCM or hem/onc in future (no cards/GI for sure). Reputation/training >> quality of life. My current list is as follows, any input appreciated:

NYMC metropolitan
MacNeal Hospital
St. Vincent Worcester
Crozer Chester
AMITA St. Francis, Evanston
Lincoln NY
Trinitas Medical Center, NJ

Thanks!!!
I would prioritize MacNeal and St. Vincent. Metropolitan would easily be my last one.