Importance of Audition Rotations for Family Medicine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alisepeep

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How important are audition rotations for the field of family medicine? Do i have to do any family med rotations my 4th year if this is the field I am pursying? Can I spend my 4th year just doing rotations in other specialties or subspecialties that would better prepare me to be a well rounded family doc?

Members don't see this ad.

How important are audition rotations for the field of family medicine? Do i have to do any family med rotations my 4th year if this is the field I am pursying? Can I spend my 4th year just doing rotations in other specialties or subspecialties that would better prepare me to be a well rounded family doc?

Important ONLY if you really want to go to a particular program or if said program is especially competitive.

Reactions: 1 user
I would do an "audition" to make sure you can tolerate the current 1st and 2nd years. A month's worth of time will give you a good insight into the program. If you're competitive, chances are you'll be able to match most anywhere. You don't want to be miserable, however.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If someone gets a sub-I at a program they're interested in; but it's either right at, or just after interview season, but before the program's rank list is due, is it still a good idea to do the sub-I?

I think I'm competitive in terms of numbers. I have an upper 220's USMLE. Not sure if I should do it or not.

My inclination is to keep it, and try and snatch up an earlier opening if it becomes available.

I suppose if we really didn't like you and found out you had a crappy work ethic, sure, an audition could hurt you...but with those scores I doubt you have a crappy work ethic.
Look at my program, McLeod in Florence, SC. Away rotations are coordinated through SC AHEC but I have some influence too.
Good luck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

I hate to bring up an old thread, or keep beating a dead horse, but I'm looking for some advice. I am a current 3rd year DO student trying to put my 4th year schedule together. I have decided on FM, and am looking at both ACGME and AOA residencies in the Southeast (VA, TN, NC, SC, GA, FL). COMLEX Level 1 - 625+, USMLE Step 1 - 235+, taking Level 2 this summer. So far in 3rd year, I have Honors in all my core rotations. I have 2 opportunities for electives/away rotations during the golden months of 4th year, so here's my question – do I need to spend these 2 months specifically for auditions? Or should I use them to do electives in other fields to help me be a more well-rounded applicant? I'm not trying to troll – I understand that my scores are pretty good, and I feel like I have a halfway decent shot at most of the programs I'm looking at, but I'm unsure as to whether or not doing auditions could do more harm than good. Is there any truth to the idea that auditions can actually hurt more competitive applicants? Thanks for the advice!

With your scores you're mostly looking for if a program is a right fit for you. For instance a program I was for sure was my first choice ended up not being so after spending a month with them...

Also, some programs allow (and some actually prefer) 2 wk audition rotations. If your school allows it, you could consider doing that if you want to experience more programs.

Short answer is it's not necessary. However, as others said, might want to consider doing a few at places you are considering because that's the best way to get to know the programs and vice versa. It's nearly impossible to know what a program is really like unless you spend some time there.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
You should try to do auditions at your top programs in my opinion. Mainly because the likelihood of knowing if you like a group of people based on a 10hr experience with them is low. I liked my interview with a particular program, and had I not done an audition rotation with them I would not have known how horrible of a program it is. It's terrible, the residents are miserable, the interns said they have no support, the faculty are bitter and petty, and to top it off, I was told by faculty in another department on another rotation "Don't come here, it's a horrible program"... Of course they aren't required, but you should know if you like them or not, and an audition is going to tell you things an interview won't.

Reactions: 2 users
Not important unless you're really interested in a program and want to make a positive impression (with good credentials)