Infectious disease more competitive than Cards?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MacGyver

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this cant be right.

But I just saw the NRMP fellowship match statistics (website URL on antoher thread) and it showed that the match rate for US grads for Cards was something like 70%, but the match rate for ID was only 50%???

WTF is up with that?

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, it's confusing. Actually, and someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the following is the correct way to interpret the data. The 53% next to US grads that match for ID actually represents what percentage of ID fellows that matched are US grads. It does NOT mean that only 53% of US Grads who applied to ID were able to match. Similar to FP. For example, only 50% of FP residents may be US MD's, but we all know the success rate for US MD's trying to get an FP residency is much, much higher than 50%. (I just made up those numbers for FP, so I have no idea how accurate they are). Hope that clears things up. There used to be another link out there, one that actually showed a breakdown of the actual number of applicants to each fellowship in addition to the number that matched. I believe the overall match rate for cards was ~45%, but 75% for US grads. I'll try to dig it up. Hope this helps.

The percentages you saw in the NRMP data actually refer to the share of filled spots taken by the different categories of grads and not to the actual match rate. Thus, 53% of filled ID spots were taken by US grads compared to 67% of cardiololgy spots taken by US grads. The unmatch rate of 18% for US grads given at the beginning refers to the overall unmatch rate for all the medical subspecialties listed. Therefore, the unmatch rate of US grads for cardiology is most likely higher than 18% and for ID is most likely lower than 18%.