****Info for Canadian SGU Vet school applicants ****

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bananniemi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi !

i'm currently a second year vet student at SGU (St. George's University)
just a couple things that i want to tell future/ current vet applicants that i wish i knew before coming to SGU

Although SGU advertise itself to be an international school, us Canadian vet students get the short end of the stick.
what they don't tell you: not all the affiliated clinical school will take non-american citizen for clinical rotation (your 4th year)

here are the following SGU affiliated schools that will not take non-US citizen/ Canadian students:
Iowa State
NCSU
Ohio State
Texas A&M
Florida University
Illinois University

if you are interested in any of the above schools for your clinical years, SGU is not your best option.
and on the side note, currently SGU has no affiliation with CVMA (there is only SCAVMA)
so, these are just more info for your vet school consideration

Members don't see this ad.

6 schools out of a total of 29 affiliates . . . I think the Canadians can manage. I wouldn't exactly call that "getting the short end of the stick."

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If I remember correctly, not all US schools take American citizens from Caribbean schools...so not really understanding why Canadians 'get the short end of the stick'. There are still plenty of schools to choose from.

If I remember correctly, not all US schools take American citizens from Caribbean schools...so not really understanding why Canadians 'get the short end of the stick'. There are still plenty of schools to choose from.

I think the point being made here is that some SGU students can attend these schools and some can't, not to question the schools that don't accept any students at all.

I think it's worth noting which schools don't accept international students from SGU. Would it change my mind if I really wanted to go there? No. So I agree that using the phrase "getting the short end of the stick" is probably being a bit dramatic, but good to know anyway.

Last edited:
well i guess while we're slinging mud, it's worth mentioning that UPenn unofficially doesn't take international students either ;)

yes - there are US schools that don't want to go through the process of obtaining visas for schools, but many do, and you have "better" opportunities to go abroad than the US students because we don't get any government aid should we choose to attend school outside of the US. :shrug:

i also think it is very difficult to predict where affiliate year schools will be in a few years from now. SGU is working on becoming contracted with schools rather than just affiliated and they are constantly trying to forage new partnerships with other schools. next year they will be heading into "new" territory when placing 100 students in clinics rather than the smaller class sizes they've had up to this point. bigger, better, and newer things lay on the horizon for SGU!

I think it should also be said that some schools are reconsidering their affiliations with SGU/Ross due to increased class sizes and worry about student:clinician ratio in clinics as well as student: case ratio. I think it's definitely a year by year thing.

yes - there are US schools that don't want to go through the process of obtaining visas for schools, but many do, and you have "better" opportunities to go abroad than the US students because we don't get any government aid should we choose to attend school outside of the US. :shrug:

I realize that I'm being a stickler, but no, a Canadian student doesn't have better opportunities abroad because we receive essentially zero government aid anywhere outside of Canada (including SGU or anywhere in the U.S.). So we're on equal footing there.

I agree that the visa process could play a role though as well as the ever increasing number of students everywhere.

Last edited: