SGU 2028 vet

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do some not get a spot because of GPA requirements?
No, you are guaranteed a spot at a school. It just may not be your top choice depending on factors.

Members don't see this ad.

Going to be declining my seat, I hope that helps someone out!

Reactions: 1 user
Just got my acceptance email!! They have maxed out of students for their August start date but was waitlisted and accepted for January!!! 😭😭😭♥️

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if on campus living is required? I’ve seen a lot of people who are term 1’s live off campus through the grapevine but i’m not sure.

Does anyone know if on campus living is required? I’ve seen a lot of people who are term 1’s live off campus through the grapevine but i’m not sure.
Unless they changed things recently, term 1 was required to live on campus unless you had a specific reason not to such as a spouse or pets. After term 1, you do not have to live on campus.

For anyone that’s been accepted has anyone received their SGU log in yet? I was waitlisted for August but accepted for January and I’m going through the student check list but I can’t log in yet. Thanks!

For anyone that’s been accepted has anyone received their SGU log in yet? I was waitlisted for August but accepted for January and I’m going through the student check list but I can’t log in yet. Thanks!
Hi! I requested some info about waitlist and housing options (cuz I was trying to access the housing portal) and this is what she told me! Hope this helps :)

Attachments

• IMG_6847.jpeg
    IMG_6847.jpeg
    163.2 KB · Views: 87
Does anyone know where we can find any merchandise like hoodies or if the January 2025 class has a facebook dedicated to them yet? :)

Just got my acceptance email!! They have maxed out of students for their August start date but was waitlisted and accepted for January!!! 😭😭😭♥️
Congrats!! I saw that you applied through their direct application. May I ask when did you apply and how long it took to get an answer?

I applied with their direct application on 2/5. I already interviewed on 2/18 and my application is in the final determination as of last week. I’m nervous I won’t get in for January 2025.

Do any SGU clubs sell veterinary patagonia jackets? been on the hunt for one for a long time…

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied for Jan 2025 through an email they sent me this past Friday where they were giving me an opportunity to reapply since I could not get in for the fall 2024. They granted me an interview and I received the info to the doctor who will be interviewing me. Does anyone know how long it usually takes for them to email you back to set up a date of interview ? Also, I have ADHD and was wondering if anyone knows if they have ADHD meds like Adderall on the island? Thanks!

Can anyone tell me more info on the FTV program, how hard is it? Is it impossible to make through, etc.

Congrats!! I saw that you applied through their direct application. May I ask when did you apply and how long it took to get an answer?

I applied with their direct application on 2/5. I already interviewed on 2/18 and my application is in the final determination as of last week. I’m nervous I won’t get in for January 2025.
My application was finalized on 1/18 and I got an interview invite on 1/19 had my interview on 1/22 and got my acceptance email by 2/27!! It was a really quick process for me personally 😊

• Love
I'm deciding between Ross and SGU and would start fall 2024, I have a couple of questions comparing the schools if anyone can answer :)

1. AVMA accreditation / NAVLE pass rate: both are accredited but Ross has a NAVLE pass rate of 81%, for some reason I can't find any information about SGU's pass rates on their website. Do Ross or SGU students generally feel more prepared for the NAVLE, can any current students attest to this? I heard some rumors that Ross has an AVMA accreditation review this year, would their lower NAVLE pass rate mean they could potentially lose accreditation?
2. Do either schools have particular opportunities for exotics experience?
3. What is each schools process school for matching with a US school for fourth year? Are there guaranteed clinical year matches for students at both SGU and Ross?
4. Cost of living: are they comparable (St. Kitts/Grenada)?

If anyone can answer these questions (or opinions on SGU vs. Ross) I would be super grateful!! Good luck to everyone accepting offers this spring!!

Can anyone tell me more info on the FTV program, how hard is it? Is it impossible to make through, etc.
I did not personally go through the FTV program, but I had at least 8 classmates who did. It's like an introduction to the vet school classes and some of the classes are almost the same as term 1 classes (anatomy and physiology). I recommend checking out Brittney Kilgore on youtube as she has a video pertaining to the FTV program that may have more specific answers you are looking for.

I'm deciding between Ross and SGU and would start fall 2024, I have a couple of questions comparing the schools if anyone can answer :)

1. AVMA accreditation / NAVLE pass rate: both are accredited but Ross has a NAVLE pass rate of 81%, for some reason I can't find any information about SGU's pass rates on their website. Do Ross or SGU students generally feel more prepared for the NAVLE, can any current students attest to this? I heard some rumors that Ross has an AVMA accreditation review this year, would their lower NAVLE pass rate mean they could potentially lose accreditation?
2. Do either schools have particular opportunities for exotics experience?
3. What is each schools process school for matching with a US school for fourth year? Are there guaranteed clinical year matches for students at both SGU and Ross?
4. Cost of living: are they comparable (St. Kitts/Grenada)?

If anyone can answer these questions (or opinions on SGU vs. Ross) I would be super grateful!! Good luck to everyone accepting offers this spring!!
Cannot speak on any aspects about Ross or comparing the two as I did not go there, but I can answer specifically for SGU.

1. I felt very prepared for the NAVLE. SGU does a good job incorporating NAVLE type questions into classes to help you get an idea of the format. They also give you 2 practice tests along with a subscription to VetPrep.

2. SGU has an exotics class for one term. To be honest most exotics experience will be up to you to get by networking/clubs, research opportunities, or doing externships if this is something you are interested in. There are very limited exotic owned pets if any on the island due to strict importing laws.

3. You are gauranteed a spot at a school for clinical year. Depending on various factors you may get your top choice or lower down your list. You get a document with GPA requirements or any additional requirements such as interviews or LOR for each clinical year school they have a contract with. These things can change each semester. You rank 4 schools and then your clinical year coordinator figures out matches.

4. Unfortunately I cannot compare cost of living as I have no idea about costs at Ross. Cost of living at SGU is doable. Your loans will cover everything you need. Of course some things can be more expensive on the island due to importing costs, so you may have to consider if certain things are worth the extra cost in regards to food items, clothing, or accessories.

will most likely be declining my seat for august 2024, does anyone know the proper way to do this?

will most likely be declining my seat for august 2024, does anyone know the proper way to do this?

I kindly thanked them for their offer and consideration before telling them what other school I had decided to attend since I saw it was a requirement in order for them to be able to “close my file”. It wasn’t more than 3 sentences.

Declined my seat for Fall 2024! Hope someone gets some good news ! <3

Has anyone accepted gone to tour the school? I would like to tour before I possibly commit. If so how did you set the tour up?

Has anyone accepted gone to tour the school? I would like to tour before I possibly commit. If so how did you set the tour up?
I went to visit! I emailed with the manager of campus visits Ravicka [email protected] and she set me up with an-in person tour. From what I gathered they don't do tours on Tuesdays, I went on a Monday and it was fine.

I went to visit! I emailed with the manager of campus visits Ravicka [email protected] and she set me up with an-in person tour. From what I gathered they don't do tours on Tuesdays, I went on a Monday and it was fine.
Thanks. I connected with her as well. Tours are MWF but you are allowed to explore the campus on your own whenever. I am heading there in a few weeks.

Is there a facebook group for class of 2028 students yet?
There is if you're starting in Aug. 2024. Not sure about Jan. start.

(Edited to fix link)

Last edited:
just declined my acceptance for aug 2024, good luck everyone :)

Just got accepted to the January 2025 term!! I'm so excited. Has anyone else been assigned to the AEP (Academic Enhancement Program)? Or does anyone know how it works?

Just got accepted to the January 2025 term!! I'm so excited. Has anyone else been assigned to the AEP (Academic Enhancement Program)? Or does anyone know how it works?
I was also assigned to the AEP! I’m not sure how it works or anything!!

Does anyone know if I have to book two flight tickets before entering Grenada for first Term? Or can I book just one flight ticket?

Also how does customs work? I'm aware that SGU will pay for 3 items but what about any food I might bring or clothes?

I was just accepted for January 2025 also!

• Love
AEP is a program that ensures you get extra help for studying. Mostly every class has tutors or study groups ran by upper semester students who get approved/passed the class - which anyone in your semester can attend. If you are in AEP, you are required to go to a specific study session every week that is only offered to students in AEP - these sessions are typically smaller groups. In the beginning of the semester you pick which class you think you will need extra help in, which when I was in it, was anatomy/physio/histology. You then get a schedule of what days/times an AEP/student instructor has been assigned for your specific class and must attend one study session each week. You are allowed to change the class you need help in if you need to.

Does anyone know if I have to book two flight tickets before entering Grenada for first Term? Or can I book just one flight ticket?

Also how does customs work? I'm aware that SGU will pay for 3 items but what about any food I might bring or clothes?
You can book one-way flights. Grenada also does not require a visa (which sometimes the airlines get weird about and tell you they do). You just show immigration a specific "school visa" paper that they will send you and they are fine with that. Then upon subsequent entries you show them your student ID.

For customs, you fill out a paper claming specific items if needed - this is usual for coming into any new country and if customs is concerned about what you have wrote down they will search your bags/luggage and can fine you if they see fit. SGU pays for up to 3 electronics if I remember correctly - which they have an online form you can fill out/print, so its not just 3 random items. I recommend making sure any of your items in your luggage do not have price tags since if they do search your bags, they may assume you are bringing in items to sell and can charge you for them. I never had any issues with customs searching my items. I always brought a box in my luggage with snacks such as peanut butter, assortment of snack crackers and cookies.

You can book one-way flights. Grenada also does not require a visa (which sometimes the airlines get weird about and tell you they do). You just show immigration a specific "school visa" paper that they will send you and they are fine with that. Then upon subsequent entries you show them your student ID.

For customs, you fill out a paper claming specific items if needed - this is usual for coming into any new country and if customs is concerned about what you have wrote down they will search your bags/luggage and can fine you if they see fit. SGU pays for up to 3 electronics if I remember correctly - which they have an online form you can fill out/print, so its not just 3 random items. I recommend making sure any of your items in your luggage do not have price tags since if they do search your bags, they may assume you are bringing in items to sell and can charge you for them. I never had any issues with customs searching my items. I always brought a box in my luggage with snacks such as peanut butter, assortment of snack crackers and cookies.
Thank you for clarifying!

Did anyone bring a pet to SGU? If so, how was your experience?

Hi guys! I'm trying to access the New Student Guide to pay my deposit, but it's saying that I no longer have access or the files have been removed. Is anyone else having this issue? I was accepted into the August class and everything said I have until April 15th to pay my deposit & the link worked for me just a few weeks ago.... I contacted the admissions team, but I'm a little stressed that it isn't working

Hi guys! I'm trying to access the New Student Guide to pay my deposit, but it's saying that I no longer have access or the files have been removed. Is anyone else having this issue? I was accepted into the August class and everything said I have until April 15th to pay my deposit & the link worked for me just a few weeks ago.... I contacted the admissions team, but I'm a little stressed that it isn't working
they updated the manuel and they sent out an email with a new link a few days ago!

Hi! I applied for January 2025, I had my interview on 3/12, got an email on 3/14 that they were starting to look over my final application and interview, and was wondering if anyone has any idea of when I will get a decision? I have an offer from another school for Fall, and deposit is due on the 15th, but I prefer to go to SGU...I know their email said it may take 10-12 weeks, has anyone heard from them sooner?! Should I email them, or just wait and see? I don't know what to do!

Hi! I applied for January 2025, I had my interview on 3/12, got an email on 3/14 that they were starting to look over my final application and interview, and was wondering if anyone has any idea of when I will get a decision? I have an offer from another school for Fall, and deposit is due on the 15th, but I prefer to go to SGU...I know their email said it may take 10-12 weeks, has anyone heard from them sooner?! Should I email them, or just wait and see? I don't know what to do!
It only took me 5 weeks to hear back!

It took 4 weeks and three of days for me. I believe it’s because I used the direct application.

From what I’ve seen, VMCAS applications sometimes take longer than 12 weeks but never more than 14. So if you applied directly through them maybe you’ll get your answer sooner.

It took 4 weeks and three of days for me. I believe it’s because I used the direct application.

From what I’ve seen, VMCAS applications sometimes take longer than 12 weeks but never more than 14. So if you applied directly through them maybe you’ll get your answer sooner.

So i applied in VMCAS in September for January. In October they sent me a rejection letter. I reached out late February to ask if I can have a file review, and they told me to send my fall grades in. They said the reason they rejected me is because they needed my fall grades, and that same day they offered me an interview.

Did anyone bring a pet to SGU? If so, how was your experience?
I would also like to know about this because I need to bring my two cats with me as I do not have a family member in the US who can take care of them.

Hi everyone!! I’m a current student (was a current term 1 student?,, started January 2024!) that took a personal leave of absence just after midterms, so I will be restarting with you guys in august. If there’s any questions that you guys have, ask me and I can try to answer to the best of my ability! 😆

I would also like to know about this because I need to bring my two cats with me as I do not have a family member in the US who can take care of them.
Yes, you can bring animals! You just have to do the proper importing stuff (like international health certificate, etc). Be aware that airlines only allow one pet per person and will have a cap on how many can travel to and from the island in the specific flight. They have to fit under your seat. That’s the biggest issue with students trying to leave all at once. If the pet doesn’t fit under the seat, and the plane doesn’t offer cargo, you’ll have to import them. This can be pricey just as an fyi. There’s strict rules on cargo because of the temperature it reaches under the plane, so I think to the island itself they don’t allow pets in cargo. Also, you’ll have to live off campus. The dorms only allow one pet per person ( the max weight is 20lbs, both cat or dog). If you have a pet, they’ll have you dorm in morris Alpert as that’s the only pet friendly dorm on campus.

You’ll need a reason to live off campus (significant other, multiple pets, large pet, etc). Besides that they say that you have to spend a full year living in the dorms.