Interesting situation came up in my schedule, now will have extra year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NeuResurgens

Newbie!
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just discovered that my school probably won't let me declare a minor this late in my schooling (I wanted to do a fifth year to explore public health) so I'll probably be graduating right at the time I apply to medical school. I'm curious about some of your thoughts regarding some activities I'm considering for the gap year.

My primary current plans are:

-continue as a volunteer in my research lab. Despite graduating I can still work on the longitudinal projects I've been working on and maybe publish a couple more papers on the subject.

-work EMS full time OR work for a hospital full time (thoughts here appreciated)

-participate in AmeriCorps doing something public health related (to explore interest in incorporating PH into medical career)

I like these ideas, but there are a lot of things I might not have considered as well. Do these activities sound like they would be productive while applying to medical school, and would you add/exchange anything else?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

In my opinion, your priorities should be:
1) showing that you are using your time productively -- you seem to have that figured out and everything you've listed would be a good use of your time.
2) having the flexibility to travel to interviews -- you may need 10-15 days off depending on where you are located and how long travel will take; be sure any job will give you that flexibility.
3) making some money - the interview season is expensive!

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks for the advice! Money is going to be a big factor, I can't afford the interview season as it stands currently! Would admissions committees look differently on EMS vs. in-hospital work? I'd enjoy both, so my main concern is which, if either, med schools like better. As shallow as it sounds!