Intern Start Date

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RestoreSight

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to take a quick poll. When does intern year orientation start for everyone?

Members don't see this ad.

Orientation June 25, day one July 1.

Members don't see this ad :)
June 6th. A little on the early side.

Orientation June 18th. Official start June 25th.

Orientation 6/25.

Orientation June 18
Work Starts June 25

6/26 for orientation, technically start 7/1, not sure if I'll be in hospital that day or not (depends on schedule I haven't received yet).

Members don't see this ad :)
Always thought it was July 1, but seems orientations push the date earlier. I start June 18

The new residents will have orientation starting June 18th with the first work day, July 1st.

For most places is the orientation the entire week? I'm trying to plan next summer (MSIV right now, planning on TY year) and want to know if I can expect to have the Thurs-Sun (20th-23rd) off in June. I'm guessing that most places will start on June 24th next year... is this safe to assume or will I be required to be present the entire last two weeks of June?

Last edited:
For most places is the orientation the entire week? I'm trying to plan next summer (MSIV right now, planning on TY year) and want to know if I can expect to have the Thurs-Sun (20th-23rd) off in June. I'm guessing that most places will start on June 24th next year... is this safe to assume or will I be required to be present the entire last two weeks of June?

Assume that you will be required to be at your residency program starting June 15th. Although if you scan up a few posts, you'll see that some people started their orientation 2 weeks ago.

Orientation starts on Monday June 25, goes trough the whole July, for university based FM program. Wonder what we will do whole July ?! First day will start in August with internal medicine.

Orientation starts on Monday June 25, goes trough the whole July, for university based FM program. Wonder what we will do whole July ?! First day will start in August with internal medicine.

5 weeks of orientation? Seriously? What kind of fresh hell is this?

5 weeks of orientation? Seriously? What kind of fresh hell is this?

That's what our program (also family medicine) did.

The first month of "orientation" included:

- 4 days of EMR training (we have two systems, one for clinic, and one for the hospital).
- Review of how to read fetal heart tracings, how to do a pap correctly, EKGs, X-rays, etc. Some review of procedures (suturing, etc.)
- Orientation to the outpatient office, including billing, Medicare rules, etc. Basically, "how not to defraud the government."
- 1 week per intern on the inpatient medicine service
- 1 week per intern seeing patients in the outpatient clinic
- Several days per month covering triage phone messages, etc.

Basically, since the first year of FM is so inpatient oriented, they try to get you some outpatient exposure your first month, so that your 1/2 day of clinic per week for the rest of the year is a little bit less painful.

Our new interns start orientation next week on June 27th with first interns taking call on 30th then starting first oration block the following Monday. They only have a few days of dedicated "orientation" with ACLS, EMR, hospital policies, etc.... For the first few weeks most of the morning and noon lectures are focused towards interns with common inpatient issues and emergencies.

A month long orientation is actually pretty common in EM residencies; we have one and it's essentially 1-2 shifts a week w/ daily lectures or workshops. Pretty useful in my opinion.

That's not orientation, that's an education month. And I agree, it sounds super useful.

Our ID program does something similar. Lots of lectures and journal club type things, no clinical responsibility other than a hald day of clinic each week.

Plan to start earlier. Make sure to ask on the interview trail if its important