International MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arteg

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
is it possible for an international MD with psychiatry training to do a PhD degree in clinical psychology in the US?

Members don't see this ad.

Umm....in so far as anyone can apply if they want, then yes? I'm a bit confused by the question - why wouldn't you be able to?

If you're asking whether or not your psychiatry training would get you out of requirements...it would certainly be extremely valuable, but likely wouldn't shorten the training.

Why wouldn't you try to get your credentials accepted here, and then take the boards in medicine? I know they're extremely difficult to pass for FMGs, but it's better than starting over and doing a PhD. It would be more logical to do a psychiatry residency in the US over that.

I would post this over in the psychiatry forum, and someone with international experience might be able to address the details of my suggestions more precisely.

Thanks for your replies. I'm asking this question for my sister who is a child psychiatrist back home, she is more interested in psychology and psychotherapy, working mainly with disabled children (Autism, ADHD, etc). so she is looking for training in that area, going through the medical boards and doing another psychiatry residency in the US won't be a good option for her because of her areas of interest and also because of her family situation. she would be able to fund herself for 4-5 years pursuing a PhD in clinical psychology. was wondering where/how to start looking. I will be moving to South Dakota myself so finding a PhD program in South Dakotawould be ideal.

I appreciate your input guys. :)