International Student 3.87 cgpa and 509 mcat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PeruvianMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! It's finally my turn to make a WAMC thread, so exciting.
So I just got my mcat score back. The breakdown was: 128/125/129/127. I know my CARS is low, even though it was my best section on the practice exams (got a 130 on the scored exam), I don't know what happened.

Summary:
I'm an international student from a south american country (my username makes it obvious). I came to the states for my undergrad. My native language is spanish of course.

GPA:
My total gpa is 3.87, and I'm expecting my science gpa to be around 3.9+

MCAT:
Total: 509
C/P:128 CARS: 125 B/B: 129 P/S: 127

Country of citizenship:
Peru

Ethnicity and/or race:
Hispanic

Clinical experience:
I've been volunteering in a hospital for 2 years now. Around 300 hours, expecting to be 400 by time of interview (if I do get some)
Volunteered at a hospital at the surgical/medical unit and the ICU.

Research experience:
I've been doing research in a molecular biology lab for almost 3 years now.
I've done 2 posters so far.

Shadowing experience:
I've shadowed two doctor for a total of 35 hours.
One was a radiologist and the other a family doctor.

Non-clinical volunteering:
I've been volunteering as a translator in a free clinic for almost 3 years.
Approximately 350-400 hours.
Mentor to new international students arriving on campus, I helped them adapt to the states and guided them through their first year in college.

Other activities:
Leadership: - President and founder of a cultural organization for Latin american students.
- Officer for a cultural organization that mentors international students.

Honors or awards:
I've been awarded a scholarship (tuition waiver) twice in a row. Only awarded to 10 students from each latin american country by the state of texas.
Also received an academic excellence scholarship only awarded to 6.7% of the student body.

I've been using the MSAR to filter the schools that do accept international students, which narrows the list down to around 45 schools. Luckily I have the financial means to apply really broadly, but I would love to hear your opinions about which schools should I apply to.
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

If you have filtered for the 62 schools that consider internationals:
Eliminate the mission-based schools (unless you fit the mission).
Eliminate the schools that accepted 3 or fewer internationals.
Identify the remaining schools where the median matriculant has an MCAT around 30.
Bring us the list and we'll be happy to offer refinements.

Peruanos are not generally considered UiM, but language skills are always appreciated.

Members don't see this ad :)
@gyngyn Thanks for answering!
So I did what you told me and I have this:

- Central Michigan
- Rosalind Franklin
- GWU
- Georgetown
- New York
- SUNY
- Stony Brook
- UCLA
- UK

Should I apply to more?

@gyngyn Thanks for answering!
So I did what you told me and I have this:

- Central Michigan
- Rosalind Franklin
- GWU
- Georgetown
- New York
- SUNY
- Stony Brook
- UCLA
- UK

Should I apply to more?
If there were more good choices, yes. In fact, UCLA is a real reach. All you can do is go for it and consider DO.

@gyngyn Hi! Quick update, I ended up receiving 1 DO II and 4 MD II. Accepted to the DO school and 2 MD schools so far. Surprisingly I was accepted to case western with an mcat waaay below their 10th percentile, this process is really random.

Reactions: 1 users
@gyngyn Hi! Quick update, I ended up receiving 1 DO II and 4 MD II. Accepted to the DO school and 2 MD schools so far. Surprisingly I was accepted to case western with an mcat waaay below their 10th percentile, this process is really random.
This will help me advise others in your situation!

Reactions: 1 user