INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS Applicant Thread!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopefulMD12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've noticed there isn't a huge presence of international students on SDN, but I know we're out there. AAMC data shows that there are about ~1300 of us who apply to US medical schools every year. I have MSAR (get this!) and the AAMC data on International students, % interviewed, # of matriculations at each school and average MCAT/ GPA for Canadian and non-Canadian International students, which I can post if people are interested. Beware though, the numbers are pretty depressing.

So discuss your stats, your school list, your undergrad experience, where you are from, ask for advice, rant if you need to about the lack of financial aid, or just about anything else you want to discuss. Since we are at a significant disadvantage compared to domestic applicants, let's at least try to help one another out. Not sure if there are enough international students to keep this thread going... but let's give it a shot. Good luck everyone! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I'm a fellow international student. I'm not Canadian though so have even fewer options. It sucks sometimes but it is what it is. I also have the MSAR and made a list of all the schools I'm applying to international student matriculation rate...it is depressing.

I went to undergrad and I am now getting my Masters in the US. My stats (well GPA) are below average but I have a decent MCAT and ECs. I know of a few international students who have gotten into medical school in the US so I try to use those examples to stay positive.

It'll be nice to see how many of us there are on this site.

International student here also, from latin america. Could you post the % interviewed, # of matriculations? Doesn't matter if they are depressing, there are many success stories from other international students, so we know it is possible.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a fellow international student. I'm not Canadian though so have even fewer options. It sucks sometimes but it is what it is. I also have the MSAR and made a list of all the schools I'm applying to international student matriculation rate...it is depressing.

I went to undergrad and I am now getting my Masters in the US. My stats (well GPA) are below average but I have a decent MCAT and ECs. I know of a few international students who have gotten into medical school in the US so I try to use those examples to stay positive.

It'll be nice to see how many of us there are on this site.

The fact that you went to undergrad and did masters in the US should help. Hopefully an upward trend? One of the biggest challenges with international students is that adcoms want to know if you can complete course work in the US. Stay positive though! :)

International student here also, from latin america. Could you post the % interviewed, # of matriculations? Doesn't matter if they are depressing, there are many success stories from other international students, so we know it is possible.

Which schools? I'd rather not post stats for all ~80 schools that accept international students. That'd take a long time. In general though, schools that accept more than 5 international students per year are Harvard, Johns Hopkins, Yale, Case Western, U. Virginia, Wayne State (only accepts Canadians), Albert Einstein, U. Kentucky and a few others. Schools like UCSF, UCLA, Penn accept many fewer Internationals.

When I get some time today I'll post the stats for the schools I applied to.

Last edited:
Another international here! There have been a few decent threads about this in the past.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=251693
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=832999

There have also been a few successful internationals on SDN. GS Mikami was one of them from a few years ago and he had quite a few useful posts. Another one is Tsiana (Canadian), but she doesn't really post much about being international. She also had legendary stats...

Thanks for the links. Good info. Nice MCAT score btw ;) I have good stats and hoping that applying early will tip me over the edge!

Some Statistics:
School- # International Applied/#International Matriculated/Class Size
BU-736/15/181
Brown-399/4/120
U Minn-333/2/230
Jefferson-609/13/260
Howard-458/8/112
Rosalind-743/7/190
Tulane-690/3/188
Georgetown-552/3/196
Mt Sinai-446/5/139
Duke-272/2/101
Feinberg-459/7/161
Case Western-518/8/198
Emory-368/4/135
Penn State-453/5/145
SUNY Upstate-485/4/156
U Colorado-107/1/157
Med Wisconsin-263/3/204
U Virginia-222/7/156
Dartmouth-598/11/87
Stanford-375/3/92
Yeshiva-582/7//183
UPitt-122/1/145​

Some Statistics:
School- # International Applied/#International Matriculated/Class Size
BU-736/15/181
Brown-399/4/120
U Minn-333/2/230
Jefferson-609/13/260
Howard-458/8/112
Rosalind-743/7/190
Tulane-690/3/188
Georgetown-552/3/196
Mt Sinai-446/5/139
Duke-272/2/101
Feinberg-459/7/161
Case Western-518/8/198
Emory-368/4/135
Penn State-453/5/145
SUNY Upstate-485/4/156
U Colorado-107/1/157
Med Wisconsin-263/3/204
U Virginia-222/7/156
Dartmouth-598/11/87
Stanford-375/3/92
Yeshiva-582/7//183
UPitt-122/1/145​

Solid list. We have some pretty significant overlap. Maybe we will run into each other during interviews!

Solid list. We have some pretty significant overlap. Maybe we will run into each other during interviews!
I'm actually not applying to all of these- some are a bit too out of my range lol. But hopefully we do overlap some. I'm keeping fingers crossed for a couple interviews.

Is anyone applying to DO schools? I've been torn about applying to a couple because the degree is not recognized in my home country if I ever have to go back home.

I'm actually not applying to all of these- some are a bit too out of my range lol. But hopefully we do overlap some. I'm keeping fingers crossed for a couple interviews.

Is anyone applying to DO schools? I've been torn about applying to a couple because the degree is not recognized in my home country if I ever have to go back home.

Definitely :) Some schools start sending out interview requests very soon. Fingers crossed.

Why do Canadians want to come here? I'm a proud American, but Canada is a great place too.

Why do Canadians want to come here? I'm a proud American, but Canada is a great place too.

You're right. Canada has some great medical schools, but there are usually two main reasons why Canadians look to apply to the US. This is my understanding so someone correct me if I am wrong.

1) Even though getting into US medical schools for International students (including Canadians) is very difficult, it is sometimes more realistic than getting into a Canadian medical school. Canadian med schools usually have stringent GPA cutoffs and focus less on MCATs and extracurriculars. The admissions process is less holistic. Students with low GPA, decent MCAT and good extracurriculars have a decent shot at the low to mid-tiers American med. schools, whereas they may not have a shot at the Canadian schools. I know one Canadian student, for example, who got into Harvard Medical School with a 3.82 GPA and amazing MCATs, but did not get into most of the Canadian schools he applied to because he did not meet the GPA cutoff.

2) There are a wider range of options in the US. If we are thinking about world-class med. schools that offer great professors, great facilities etc., you are looking at a handful of Canadian schools like U. of Toronto, McGill, UBC, McMcaster and the like. If you have good stats (high GPA, high MCAT) and good extracurriculars, US offers more schools to choose from, more of a campus-oriented experience.

Then there are family concerns, financial concerns etc etc.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks that clears it up. Every time I go to Canada I'm impressed by something they do better than us, so in addition to the natural beauty it makes you wonder why anyone would leave.

You're right. Canada has some great medical schools, but there are usually two main reasons why Canadians look to apply to the US. This is my understanding so someone correct me if I am wrong.

1) Even though getting into US medical schools for International students (including Canadians) is very difficult, it is sometimes more realistic than getting into a Canadian medical school. Canadian med schools usually have stringent GPA cutoffs and focus less on MCATs and extracurriculars. The admissions process is less holistic. Students with low GPA, decent MCAT and good extracurriculars have a decent shot at the low to mid-tiers American med. schools, whereas they may not have a shot at the Canadian schools. I know one Canadian student, for example, who got into Harvard Medical School with a 3.82 GPA and amazing MCATs, but did not get into most of the Canadian schools he applied to because he did not meet the GPA cutoff.

2) There are a wider range of options in the US. If we are thinking about world-class med. schools that offer great professors, great facilities etc., you are looking at a handful of Canadian schools like U. of Toronto, McGill, UBC, McMcaster and the like. If you have good stats (high GPA, high MCAT) and good extracurriculars, US offers more schools to choose from, more of a campus-oriented experience. This is the reason why I am applying to the US. Plus, a lot of us Canadians went to US school for undergrad and have grown to like this place quite a bit.

Then there are family concerns, financial concerns etc etc.

Yep spot on. There are only 16 medical schools for the entire country, and most of them (except the Ontario ones) give preference to their own province's residents. And when I say preference, I mean they give about 10 spots every year to ALL the applicants from other provinces. So applying in Canada, especially for Ontario residents, is pretty much a crapshoot. I think the average number of times people apply is 3 before they actually get in (although I do meet a lot of people who get in after 1 or 2 tries, which always depresses me).

In the US, even though many schools don't accept Canadians, there are still enough that do that we can come up with a decent school list. I just try not to look at the number of internationals accepted every year to each school... cause that is just demoralizing :( Although some schools consider all applicants equally, regardless of citizenship (Yale, Dartmouth) and some schools consider Canadians as OOS instead of international.

I agree, Canada's a great country and I love it here but if they don't want to keep me there isn't much I can do about it! :p

Yep spot on. There are only 16 medical schools for the entire country, and most of them (except the Ontario ones) give preference to their own province's residents. And when I say preference, I mean they give about 10 spots every year to ALL the applicants from other provinces. So applying in Canada, especially for Ontario residents, is pretty much a crapshoot. I think the average number of times people apply is 3 before they actually get in (although I do meet a lot of people who get in after 1 or 2 tries, which always depresses me).

In the US, even though many schools don't accept Canadians, there are still enough that do that we can come up with a decent school list. I just try not to look at the number of internationals accepted every year to each school... cause that is just demoralizing :( Although some schools consider all applicants equally, regardless of citizenship (Yale, Dartmouth) and some schools consider Canadians as OOS instead of international.

I agree, Canada's a great country and I love it here but if they don't want to keep me there isn't much I can do about it! :p

Exact same problem that I have. As an Ontario resident, the out of province schools like McGill and UBC are pretty much out of the question. For the in province ones, I probably have to explain why I left Canada for undergrad. No school wants to train a student who may just leave the country after :/

Also a Canadian student looking to apply to the states. I just got MSAR and was wondering if anyone knows if the tuition and fees on the search engine are PER YEAR or for the whole 4 years?

Also a Canadian student looking to apply to the states. I just got MSAR and was wondering if anyone knows if the tuition and fees on the search engine are PER YEAR or for the whole 4 years?

Per year. I wish US med schools cost 50,000 over 4 years, but alas no.

Per year. Yep, it actually is that high.

How is everyone's secondaries coming along? Been doing 2 per day.

Good luck to everyone, here's another international pre-med - from the Czech Republic!!

bump. How is everyone's applications going? Just an update for me...so far, I have gotten interview invites from U. Chicago and U Pittsburgh, put on hold from GWU and rejected from Mayo (invites from top 20, but hold/ rejection from non top 20). That's random for you haha.

bump. How is everyone's applications going? Just an update for me...so far, I have gotten interview invites from U. Chicago and U Pittsburgh, put on hold from GWU and rejected from Mayo (invites from top 20, but hold/ rejection from non top 20). That's random for you haha.

Congrats on those invites! Your cycle's off to a great start.

I'm still waiting to be verified and slowly pre-writing secondaries.

It's not exactly random for internationals :) Top schools are usually more open to them (though rejection from Mayo is kind of a surprise).
Congrats on your interviews!

nice guys, very nice.
I want to see you, Ginger, getting accepted this year!

Congrats on those invites! Your cycle's off to a great start.

I'm still waiting to be verified and slowly pre-writing secondaries.

Even without verification, I think you should have received some secondaries by now? I could be wrong, but I think some schools allow you to submit secondaries pre-verification!

It's not exactly random for internationals :) Top schools are usually more open to them (though rejection from Mayo is kind of a surprise).

Good point. I was actually really interested in GWU because of their focus on underserved care. They also put my other 3.9+/35 friend from my school on hold. Haha, maybe they don't like our school. I also heard Mayo really focuses on ECs and wants particular types of students. I'm assuming that I just didn't fit the bill.

Even without verification, I think you should have received some secondaries by now? I could be wrong, but I think some schools allow you to submit secondaries pre-verification!
You're right, I received several secondaries pre-verification.
I was actually really interested in GWU because of their focus on underserved care. They also put my other 3.9+/35 friend from my school on hold. Haha, maybe they don't like our school. I also heard Mayo really focuses on ECs and wants particular types of students. I'm assuming that I just didn't fit the bill.
I agree about being or not being a good fit for school. By the way, UofChicago has a focus on underserved care as well (I don't know about UofPittsburg), so best of luck with your interviews! :luck:

I'm not applying to Mayo, but just curious: what kind of students are they looking for?

How do you all plan to finance yourselves? I don't currently have any debt to my name but my stats aren't very impressive to score any scholarship.

I'm basically a non-trad at this point (2 yrs out) and holding a full-time job, with few part-time jobs as well. The upside of applying, I get real chance if I try. The downside, money. I don't even know if I can afford flying all the way to the States in the event of interview invites (and subsequent rejections after blowing such money) !

Yeah Mayo actually just stopped accepting internationals (except Canadians) this year and I wasn't aware of this change when I applied until I saw it in a thread a few days ago. They even sent me a semi-rude 'you are ineligible' email recently with "We are sorry you were not aware of this policy." (literal quote) :mad:

Yep. I got a few secondaries already. I should be verified in the next couple days though.

nice guys, very nice.
I want to see you, Ginger, getting accepted this year!
Thank you! Just need that one acceptance.

Yeah Mayo actually just stopped accepting internationals (except Canadians) this year and I wasn't aware of this change when I applied until I saw it in a thread a few days ago. They even sent me a semi-rude 'you are ineligible' email recently with "We are sorry you were not aware of this policy." (literal quote) :mad:
Yep I only found out about Mayo because someone else told me about it. Thankfully I was able to remove them from my list before I submitted. But they are still listed in MSAR as accepting Internationals which is annoying.

You're right, I received several secondaries pre-verification.

I agree about being or not being a good fit for school. By the way, UofChicago has a focus on underserved care as well (I don't know about UofPittsburg), so best of luck with your interviews! :luck:

I'm not applying to Mayo, but just curious: what kind of students are they looking for?

I'm not too sure, but I think they may want more focused ECs than I had. I'm interested in teaching, writing and medical service, so my ECs were a bit all over the place. I also have only done a summer of research, even though I just started research again recently. I was not able to communicate this to them because they have no secondaries.

How do you all plan to finance yourselves? I don't currently have any debt to my name but my stats aren't very impressive to score any scholarship.

I'm basically a non-trad at this point (2 yrs out) and holding a full-time job, with few part-time jobs as well. The upside of applying, I get real chance if I try. The downside, money. I don't even know if I can afford flying all the way to the States in the event of interview invites (and subsequent rejections after blowing such money) !

Which country are you from? Thankfully, I don't have to worry much about this because my parents have set aside finances... but the Canadian government offers canHELP loans up to ~45k per year I think to help with financing education. But idk about non-Canadian applicants. Any chance you could try md/phd?

Well, I'm Canadian....and I didn't even get a LOR request. But I didn't get the ineligible email.

International student here, non canadian.
Comforting to see this thread and be able to connect with fellow int'ls :)

@hopefulMD12:

I'm out of luck here haha. Not a Canadian citizen unfortunately. Somewhere in South East Asia. I've already drained my family for a bachelor's, it's unlikely I'll ask for a 4 year out-of-state tuition that may or may not be required upfront. So yeah, which is why it's a very longshot at this point. I'm simply dreaming. (STATS: 3.59 cGPA, 3.8 sGPA; 30Q MCAT; volunteer, leadership, ongoing research, full-time job, and side job teaching English).

As for MD/PhD, no I don't want a PhD honestly. Too much time spent for a degree I won't need for my career aspirations. I like research, but not the amount that a PhD requires.

But anyway I'll try to figure this out by myself.

I see. I didn't know that (I'm not applying to Mayo for another reason). Sorry you wasted money and received that rude email.

By the way, there are quite a few inconsistencies between MSAR and schools' web sites. I suggest using MSAR for "primary screening" and "confirm your diagnosis" about a particular school by checking out their web site.

I'm interested in teaching, writing and medical service, so my ECs were a bit all over the place. I also have only done a summer of research, even though I just started research again recently.
So, you should be perfect for Chicago :)

And, well, to introduce myself :) I'm technically not an international because I have a green card. But my Bachelor's is from a non-US, non-Canadian school (which is quite a problem and which is why I'm not applying to Mayo, among other schools that require US Bachelor's). I have a PhD from a US medical school though, a ton of basic science and clinical research experience (publications, presentations - I actually got my green card based on my research work). I took the required classes at US undergraduate schools (cGPA 3.95, sGPA 4.0) and have 38 MCAT and a substantial amount of clinical, volunteering, teaching/mentoring, leadership and sort of an interesting personal story. So, let's see how it goes :)

And, well, to introduce myself :) I'm technically not an international because I have a green card. But my Bachelor's is from a non-US, non-Canadian school (which is quite a problem and which is why I'm not applying to Mayo, among other schools that require US Bachelor's). I have a PhD from a US medical school though, a ton of basic science and clinical research experience (publications, presentations - I actually got my green card based on my research work). I took the required classes at US undergraduate schools (cGPA 3.95, sGPA 4.0) and have 38 MCAT and a substantial amount of clinical, volunteering, teaching/mentoring, leadership and sort of an interesting personal story. So, let's see how it goes :)

Very impressive stats. My completely non-expert and in no way meaningful opinion is that you don't have anything to be worried about in terms of IIs as long as your ECs are as good as they seem.

I'll introduce myself as well :). I am a Canadian applicant (undergrad in Canada, no US green card, etc.). cGPA 3.94, sGPA 3.96, MCAT 34S. I have a variety of ECs including extensive research experience (but no publications), charity work, volunteering, tutoring, varsity sport, etc. I am purposely applying very ambitiously considering my stats because I'm only interested in leaving Canada for a top medical school.

With those stats and a green card, you are set to go!

Very impressive stats. My completely non-expert and in no way meaningful opinion is that you don't have anything to be worried about in terms of IIs as long as your ECs are as good as they seem.

I'll introduce myself as well :). I am a Canadian applicant (undergrad in Canada, no US green card, etc.). cGPA 3.94, sGPA 3.96, MCAT 34S. I have a variety of ECs including extensive research experience (but no publications), charity work, volunteering, tutoring, varsity sport, etc. I am purposely applying very ambitiously considering my stats because I'm only interested in leaving Canada for a top medical school.

The average accepted Canadian student has ~3.75 GPA and a ~33.5 MCAT I believe so you are looking good!

Thank you. Your stats are not so shabby either, to say the least :)

I'm kind of applying ambitiously, too, not because I'm so confident about my chances but because lower tier schools just don't have the kind of opportunities I'm looking for in a med school, it would be very hard for me to answer the "Why us?" question.
Are you also applying to Canadian schools?
With those stats and a green card, you are set to go!
From your mouth to adcoms' ears :p

The average accepted Canadian student has ~3.75 GPA and a ~33.5 MCAT I believe so you are looking good!

Thanks, but you haven't seen my school list yet. Here it is:

-Brown
-Case Western
-Columbia
-Cornell
-Dartmouth
-Harvard
-Hopkins
-New York University
-Northwestern
-Stanford
-UPenn
-USC
-Yale
-Vanderbilt

great job on making this thread.

I just finished going over paperback versions of msar, and man oh man is it ever depressing..

are you sure most of those 1300 are canadians?

also does the online msar tell you Canadian matriculated gpa as well?

great job on making this thread.

I just finished going over paperback versions of msar, and man oh man is it ever depressing..

are you sure most of those 1300 are canadians?

also does the online msar tell you Canadian matriculated gpa as well?

These are some stats that my friend sent me, apparently from AAMC.

Data from AAMC: In 2010, of 1340 international applicants without a US state of residence (991 from Canada +349 all other) only 14.9% matriculated to a US med school (86 Canadian + 105 all other), whereas 43.6% of total applicants did matriculate.

2010 Mean stats for Canadians matriculating at US schools in 2009: MCAT 33.4+/- 3.5, cGPA 3.74 +/- .22, BCPM GPA 3.75 +/-.23

2010 Mean stats for all other internationals who matriculated:
MCAT 33.0 +/- 4.2, cGPA 3.76 +/-.18, BCPM GPA 3.74 +/- .26

2010 Mean stats for all matriculants:
MCAT 31.1 +/- 4.1, cGPA 3.67 +/- .26, BCPM GPA 3.61 +/- .32

And no the MSAR does not give specific data for Canadian students.

These are some stats that my friend sent me, apparently from AAMC.

Data from AAMC: In 2010, of 1340 international applicants without a US state of residence (991 from Canada +349 all other) only 14.9% matriculated to a US med school (86 Canadian + 105 all other), whereas 43.6% of total applicants did matriculate.

2010 Mean stats for Canadians matriculating at US schools in 2009: MCAT 33.4+/- 3.5, cGPA 3.74 +/- .22, BCPM GPA 3.75 +/-.23

2010 Mean stats for all other internationals who matriculated:
MCAT 33.0 +/- 4.2, cGPA 3.76 +/-.18, BCPM GPA 3.74 +/- .26

2010 Mean stats for all matriculants:
MCAT 31.1 +/- 4.1, cGPA 3.67 +/- .26, BCPM GPA 3.61 +/- .32

And no the MSAR does not give specific data for Canadian students.

Thanks,

I have a question to all internationals.

Did you guys include, in your PS, why you want to come to America to study medicine and not in your own country"? should we include this?

Did you guys include, in your PS, why you want to come to America to study medicine and not in your own country"? should we include this?

Only very superficially just because I thought there were more important things for me to include.

Thanks,

Not really. I didn't feel like it was something I had to explain. I did mention briefly in my PS that coming to the US to study (I've been here since college) was a great opportunity and allowed me to explore a lot of different fields that I would not have otherwise (i.e. Public Health). It was literally one line lol.

Only very superficially just because I thought there were more important things for me to include.

Same here. Felt that I had more important things to talk about. If they need to ask me, I'll answer during interviews.

Thanks,

just curious, why do y'all want to study medicine in the US instead of your country of origin? do you plan on returning to that country or staying here?