INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS Applicant Thread!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Another international applicant here from China. Not a lot of Chinese students want to do med school in US. I feel so lonely for my undergraduate years, because most of friends study econ, math or stats. Good to find friends here!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi international folks!

I'm a 100% international non-Canadian .. I have a full scholarship (so money is not an issue at all for me or for the school). I'm taking my MCAT on May 08, 2014 and applying this cycle 2015!

I hope I'll do well on my MCAT and be able to submit my application .... I'm an ESL , so MCAT verbal is hard for me! How did you do on your MCAT ESL internationals?!!
Have u got ur score yet? I took it on May 8th too.

Another international applicant here from China. Not a lot of Chinese students want to do med school in US. I feel so lonely for my undergraduate years, because most of friends study econ, math or stats. Good to find friends here!!
me too! Have you submitted your application yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have problem with verbal too. I didnt take mcat prep course. Did u take one? Should I just take it for verbal? any suggestions?
I took mcat twice just for verbal. As long as you are shooting for an 8 then you should be fine! I did not take any prep course and I don't think they would help at all.

Hello everyone - I made a list of US Medical Schools accepting internationals that you can sort through according to the following criteria: State, Cost of Attendance, avg GPA, avg MCAT score, % international applicants who matriculated, and school ranking.

http://premedusa.blogspot.com/2014/06/US-Medical-Schools-for-Internationals-Updated.html

...if you don't find this useful, then I'm not sure what you will. :)
Hope this helps this year's applicants like me! #IntlPremedChallenge

Last edited:
Hello everyone - I made a list of US Medical Schools accepting internationals that you can sort through according to the following criteria: State, Cost of Attendance, avg GPA, avg MCAT score, % international applicants who matriculated, and school ranking.

http://premedusa.blogspot.com/2014/06/US-Medical-Schools-for-Internationals-Updated.html

Hope this helps this year's applicants like me!
Thank you Brunox! The stats are so painful but helpful as well! :)

Reactions: 1 user
Hi all,

I'm a Canadian applicant and was recently accepted off of a waitlist for the 2013-2014 AMCAS cycle. Please don't hesitate to contact me with any questions, etc.

Hope this helps this year's applicants like me!

I think New York MC accepts non-canadian applicants as well though.

I took mcat twice just for verbal. As long as you are shooting for an 8 then you should be fine! I did not take any prep course and I don't think they would help at all.
i see. thx. How do you prepare for the verbal? There are not that many verbal books out there.

Members don't see this ad :)
i see. thx. How do you prepare for the verbal? There are not that many verbal books out there.
I used EK and kaplan. my verbal score is still pretty low but i tried my best.

It's best to double-check with the school's website. I have noticed some mistakes in MSAR. Also worth notice whether it is Canadian only.
You should check out the website I posted. Non-Canadian/Canadian only admission is in the table as well. ;)
#IntlPremedChallenge !!

Hi all,

I'm a Canadian applicant and was recently accepted off of a waitlist for the 2013-2014 AMCAS cycle. Please don't hesitate to contact me with any questions, etc.
Congrats! Which schools did you apply to, and get secondaries at? I'm a Canadian, currently living in the US (hence the screen name) but no green card yet. I'm looking to apply near Ontario since my husband may look into jobs there.

Did you also apply in Canada? I'm about to do OMSAS...

Congrats! Which schools did you apply to, and get secondaries at? I'm a Canadian, currently living in the US (hence the screen name) but no green card yet. I'm looking to apply near Ontario since my husband may look into jobs there.

Did you also apply in Canada? I'm about to do OMSAS...

See my MDApps profile re: schools that I applied to etc. (look under my screen name for the link). I did apply in Canada as well, though I focused my effort toward AMCAS. The Ontario application is, overall, much easier than the American application because there are no secondaries (except at U of T, which has a short one). The OMSAS system itself, though, is not as user-friendly as the AMCAS system.

Hey guys,

I am a Canadian applicant, I was wondering if it is too late to apply to US now. gpa 3.78 and mcat is 32. I will be retaking my MCAT soon so hopefully it is 32+.

Thanks!

Hey @ineedsleep93 I'm pretty much in the same boat as you (even with GPA and MCAT) and depending on when you take your MCAT it would determine if you should apply or not. For example, I took the MCAT Aug 2nd, so my application will not be complete until my MCAT scores come out on Sept 2nd. Its a bit late in the cycle, but still before the deadline so I'm gunna go ahead and apply! Hoping for the best :)

As long as your MCAT score comes out before the deadlines I think you should apply! Who knows what happens...maybe apply to the lower tier schools though :)

"Not a lot of Chinese students want to do med school in US". How can one school represent the entire chinese students in the US? You will be amazed to see how many chinese local or international students trying to get into med school. You will be even more amazed to see how many chinese who graduated from med schools in china trying to match.

thx. it seems like my verbal doesnt improve at all. im so upset about it.
Another Chinese student here applying to medical schools in the upcoming cycle. I also believe there aren't as many Chinese students who want to study medicine here. I come from a top 20 UG and only 4-5 Chinese students that I've known of have the intention to apply.
I just took my first MCAT on July 2nd and got a pretty satisfactory score (15PS/10VR/15BS), and am currently working on my secondary essays. Good luck to fellow Chinese students applying to medical schools. To me, I believe this is a more worthwile pursuit than investment banking..

Another Chinese student here applying to medical schools in the upcoming cycle. I also believe there aren't as many Chinese students who want to study medicine here. I come from a top 20 UG and only 4-5 Chinese students that I've known of have the intention to apply.
I just took my first MCAT on July 2nd and got a pretty satisfactory score (15PS/10VR/15BS), and am currently working on my secondary essays. Good luck to fellow Chinese students applying to medical schools. To me, I believe this is a more worthwile pursuit than investment banking..
May I ask you how you got such a high mcat score? Which books did you use? How long did you study for? I will be writing it in January and need to get 35+ .

Thank you in advance

I used EK and kaplan. my verbal score is still pretty low but i tried my best.
Hi, I'm also an international student from China. Do you mind sharing your experience with me? I tried to PM you but it didnt allow me too ><. Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I've noticed there isn't a huge presence of international students on SDN, but I know we're out there. AAMC data shows that there are about ~1300 of us who apply to US medical schools every year. I have MSAR (get this!) and the AAMC data on International students, % interviewed, # of matriculations at each school and average MCAT/ GPA for Canadian and non-Canadian International students, which I can post if people are interested. Beware though, the numbers are pretty depressing.

So discuss your stats, your school list, your undergrad experience, where you are from, ask for advice, rant if you need to about the lack of financial aid, or just about anything else you want to discuss. Since we are at a significant disadvantage compared to domestic applicants, let's at least try to help one another out. Not sure if there are enough international students to keep this thread going... but let's give it a shot. Good luck everyone! :thumbup:

Could you please post their stats or send it to me

Hey everyone! I am a 2nd year at RUSM currently and would be more than willing to answer any questions comments or concerns related to admission and life on the island! I am actually a student ambassador and am willing to help anyone who asks! Good luck everyone :)

Last edited by a moderator: