Internship Shopping List, any suggestions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Radiola

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am doing some shopping before I start my IM internship next week. In addition to a pair of comfy shoes what should I buy? I don't have a decent stethoscope, should I get a good one? Do I need a reflex hammer and other stuff?
Thanks,

Members don't see this ad.

tupperware containers. cook breakfasts and lunches for the week during your day off.
thats my plan at least :) better than spending money on sh.itty food or eating pizza 3x a week

and a lunch tote.
a good water bottle to bring with you and a coffee mug

1) a good slow cooker, if you don't have one. Crockpot recipes are you best chance at making good meals without much spare time.

2) Thick curtains for your room. You will improve the quality of your nightfloat sleep significantly if you can go to sleep in the dark.

3) A Keurig if you're a coffee person. Fast coffee in the morning can significantly improve the day. Alternatively, if you're more budget minded, caffeine pills are a great way to get 100 mg fast.

4) A pharmacy. Go to the pharm section of Target with at least $100 and get one of everything. Dayquil for colds, Tylenol/ibuprofen for headaches, simethicone for gas, tums for heart burn, probiotics/pepto for diarrheal illnesses, and a good icepack for muscle strains. I was always amazed how many Interns ended up doing without basic medications because they wouldn't by them in advance and were too tired/miserable/short of time to buy them when they actually got sick.

5) Good shoes for scrubs. Clogs or new sneakers. Odds are a lot of your rotations will involve a lot of walking.

6) A 100 pack of cheap pens. They disappear quickly.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,
I am doing some shopping before I start my IM internship next week. In addition to a pair of comfy shoes what should I buy? I don't have a decent stethoscope, should I get a good one? Do I need a reflex hammer and other stuff?
Thanks,

Shoes - Clarks are what I use when dressed up. I have a brown and black pair. Go to Norstrom's and find out your size. You can pick up a pair there or at Amazon.com or Zappos.com. They run a little large for their sizing. Also, get a pair of running to shoes to wear with your scrubs. I have Nike's, but I tried on a dozen pairs and picked the most comfortable at a local sporting goods store.

Stethoscope - I would recommend a Littmann Cardiology III. IMO the best sounding stethoscope and I have tried a ton. The CIII sounds better than the master of cardiology IMO. Also, I have a nice Welch Allyn Harvey DLX stethoscope. It sounds clear, but has horrible amplification when you have obese patients.

Reflex Hammer - I use the edge of my stethoscope when I need one, but I never had a neurology rotation this year.

There are lots of different opinions out there, I would go try out a bunch of shoes and stethoscope and pick the one that suites you best.

Thanks perrotfish that was a surprisingly useful list. I am starting today and recommend a little notepad for keeping track of things.