Intersate internship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jack90

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, this is my first post aanndd I'm just wondering: If I were to study medicine in one state, could I do my internship in another? I know you can do this in America - But in Australia I think it might be different.

If I got in I would move wherever, but I really want to work eventually in Melbourne....

At the Alfred it says that there are like 3 places for interstate interns (Oh Oh)

Thanks in advance.

Jack

Members don't see this ad.

jack90 said:
Hey, this is my first post aanndd I'm just wondering: If I were to study medicine in one state, could I do my internship in another? I know you can do this in America - But in Australia I think it might be different.

If I got in I would move wherever, but I really want to work eventually in Melbourne....

At the Alfred it says that there are like 3 places for interstate interns (Oh Oh)

Thanks in advance.

Jack

In theory you can, however you would be put at the very bottom of the list.

The way it works is that if you do your degree in NSW, you get first dibs on the NSW intern positions. If you want to go to another state, such as VIC, then the VIC graduates will fill the positions, and then you will get put somewhere - most likely not in your first choice... somewhere rural probably!!

If you want more information about this, it has been mentioned many times on Paging Dr (Australian Grad Med Forum)... This is a link to one of the threads about this...

http://vtac.proboards103.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=ianda&thread=1144231511&page=1