Interview for week between Christmas and New Year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

echod

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How often do programs interview applicants during the days between Christmas and New Years? I have step 2 CS scheduled on 12/28, and I don't want to miss an interview because of step 2 CS. Thanks a lot!

Is there any downside to scheduling step 2 CS in Jan/Feb/March?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
How often do programs interview applicants during the days between Christmas and New Years? I have step 2 CS scheduled on 12/28, and I don't want to miss an interview because of step 2 CS. Thanks a lot!

You can look through the interview invite thread from last year, but I'm fairly certain that no one interviewed in that time immediately after Christmas, so you should be fine to keep your CS there.

The only downside to waiting to take it is that there is a 1-3% chance that you fail, and with CK, you can retake and have a a new score in a matter of less than 2 months. However, with CS if something goes wrong, it can take 4-6 months to get a new score. So if you take it in March, find out you failed in May, retook it in June, got your new score in August/September, your up a creek cause that overlaps with residency.

Also, one of my classmates and good friends didn't fail, but got a call from the CS folks about two weeks after they took it because the "computer failed and didn't capture 4 of her encounters." So the said they could grade just the remaining ones since they don't count every encounter or she could retake it, so of course she retook it. But this was a delay beyond their control. If I were you, I'd leave it for the 28th.

Here's a list of interview dates by program from two years ago. This may not reflect this year's interview dates.

Attachments

• Book1.xlsx
    11.9 KB · Views: 131
Keep your scheduled CS date at the end of December. I didn't have any interview invites for those dates, and neither did my friends (no matter what they applied in - rad onc, peds, medicine). So many attendings want that time to themselves.