Interview Invites

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone with news from Kaiser Fontana or Kaiser OC?

Members don't see this ad.

I'd like to talk about the previously-alluded-to phenomenon of smaller places rejecting you, but larger places inviting you in for interview, especially if you're a gunner. I and some of my friends have been invited in to interview at some of the top programs, while small hospitals are rejecting us. Is this because they just assume that they are our backups and don't want to waste an interview slot on us? It saddens me especially because I actually prefer smaller hospitals to larger programs, but despite my LOI many are not giving me a chance to show them that. Is there such a thing as having a portfolio that's TOO competitive?

Program specific...we are a less competitive program but interview the top candidates (based on our criteria) that apply. The Match is a crap shoot...I'd rather get a top candidate that sees me as a back up than some crappy candidate I am not excited about working with. We don't always get our top choices, but we always interview and rank by preference. Your school matters.

But...I can see how some smaller programs would have an opposite view...interviews are a lot of work and are time consuming.....and frankly exhausting (try having the same coversation X amount of times). Just because you may think you are a "top candidate" does not mean you meet that program's criteria. We've interviewed candidates who have thought they "had it in the bag" and were terrible.

Anyone with news from Kaiser Fontana or Kaiser OC?

KP Fontana, KP Panorama City, KP Baldwin Park, KP Riverside, VA Greater LA, Glendale Adventist have sent out interview dates.

I have not heard from KP OC.

Members don't see this ad :)
KP Fontana, KP Panorama City, KP Baldwin Park, KP Riverside, VA Greater LA, Glendale Adventist have sent out interview dates.

I have not heard from KP OC.

Congrats. That's a lot of Kaisers

Got good news today! :)
It's really crazy to me that programs are still contacting this 'late'. I ain't mad though!

Got good news today! :)
It's really crazy to me that programs are still contacting this 'late'. I ain't mad though!
we contacted our interview candidates last week - we had several back up candidates if the 10 that we extended interviews to were unable to come - but all were able. So I could see if a program had someone back out - they could extend interviews to the "maybe" people

Program specific...we are a less competitive program but interview the top candidates (based on our criteria) that apply. The Match is a crap shoot...I'd rather get a top candidate that sees me as a back up than some crappy candidate I am not excited about working with. We don't always get our top choices, but we always interview and rank by preference. Your school matters.

But...I can see how some smaller programs would have an opposite view...interviews are a lot of work and are time consuming.....and frankly exhausting (try having the same coversation X amount of times). Just because you may think you are a "top candidate" does not mean you meet that program's criteria. We've interviewed candidates who have thought they "had it in the bag" and were terrible.

ding ding ding - we had some people that thought there were "top shelf" great GPA's, all kinds of awards and organizations, and five minutes into the interview I wanted to just walk out and say "all done" thanks for applying

we contacted our interview candidates last week - we had several back up candidates if the 10 that we extended interviews to were unable to come - but all were able. So I could see if a program had someone back out - they could extend interviews to the "maybe" people

That's totally fine by me! lol.
They did offer me 10+ interview slot options. I don't know what their interview style is though so I can't speculate as to why they'd offer so many options to a back up person. Whatever the reason hopefully once candidates have received interviews we are all on the same playing field.

That's totally fine by me! lol.
They did offer me 10+ interview slot options. I don't know what their interview style is though so I can't speculate as to why they'd offer so many options to a back up person. Whatever the reason hopefully once candidates have received interviews we are all on the same playing field.

they were probably just slow getting out invites then - and from where I come from (can't speak for others) - once you are in the interview you are pretty much all on the same playing field with tie breaking going to the CV

ding ding ding - we had some people that thought there were "top shelf" great GPA's, all kinds of awards and organizations, and five minutes into the interview I wanted to just walk out and say "all done" thanks for applying

Just out of curiosity, what exactly those people fatal flaw?

How about some NW programs? I've heard from KP Portland, Providence Portland, Providence Olympia, St. Joseph Tacoma, UW, and Swedish Seattle...waiting to hear back on 4 more programs.

After talking to multiple residents and program directors, it seems that personality sometimes, if not often, trumps over objective data. Programs want residents who will play nice in the sandbox and perhaps not "rock the boat." I'm not so sure I necessarily agree with this mindset. Obviously it is in the best interest for the program to choose a candidate who will work well in a team, but I think what sometimes individuals in the application process forget to realize is that a "top-shelf" candidate with serious amount of organization involvement, projects, posters, publications likely accomplished those things by working well with others in the first place. For anyone who has done a poster or were highly involved in student organizations, you would know that it takes A LOT of collaboration with other students, faculty members, and/or preceptors. These applicants shouldn't be discounted on interview day just because they're not as charming as the interviewer would expect within the first 5 minutes of the interview. Worst of all, based on hearsay, I know these sort of students who were not even offered an interview at many "lower-tier" programs (if there is such a thing). BTW, I'm not a "top-shelf" candidate (not even close) - just my two cents :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
My friend received an interview invite for the phx VA amb care last week

Thanks! Atleast I know now...

Also another question: I have an interview coming up 2/7 and I haven't been sent a schedule yet. Should I be asking/reminiding the site?

After talking to multiple residents and program directors, it seems that personality sometimes, if not often, trumps over objective data. Programs want residents who will play nice in the sandbox and perhaps not "rock the boat." I'm not so sure I necessarily agree with this mindset. Obviously it is in the best interest for the program to choose a candidate who will work well in a team, but I think what sometimes individuals in the application process forget to realize is that a "top-shelf" candidate with serious amount of organization involvement, projects, posters, publications likely accomplished those things by working well with others in the first place. For anyone who has done a poster or were highly involved in student organizations, you would know that it takes A LOT of collaboration with other students, faculty members, and/or preceptors. These applicants shouldn't be discounted on interview day just because they're not as charming as the interviewer would expect within the first 5 minutes of the interview. Worst of all, based on hearsay, I know these sort of students who were not even offered an interview at many "lower-tier" programs (if there is such a thing). BTW, I'm not a "top-shelf" candidate (not even close) - just my two cents :confused:

Great response, I wish all the RPDs think that way. After my interviews I was going crazy thinking I was "too comfortable" and not nervous enough which might come across as arrogant!!! Or don't want this bad enough!

Anyone hears back from VA Palo Alto , KP San Francisco, San Jose, Santa Rosa,VA Nevada after their screening interview?

Has anyone heard from Jesse Brown VA in Chicago?

Is it safe to say that most, if not all, of the places where we have not heard back from are either silent rejections or maybe the programs are stringing us along just in case 1-2 people cancel an interview? Anyone have some insight on getting interviews offers this late? Thanks!

... I feel like we need a googledoc lol, with all the residency programs listed and people can put a little checkmark by them if they've heard from them. Maybe next year lol.

That said, don't give up hope yet. There are three programs in my area (east coast) with early Jan deadlines which only extended INITIAL invitations yesterday and today.

Thanks! Atleast I know now...

Also another question: I have an interview coming up 2/7 and I haven't been sent a schedule yet. Should I be asking/reminiding the site?

I never got sent a schedule in advance for any of my interviews last year. I was given one when I got there for 2 places and the other place seemed to have no real schedule (interview was a little disorganized)

... I feel like we need a googledoc lol, with all the residency programs listed and people can put a little checkmark by them if they've heard from them. Maybe next year lol.

That said, don't give up hope yet. There are three programs in my area (east coast) with early Jan deadlines which only extended INITIAL invitations yesterday and today.

I don't think it's really over until they send you a reject. I ended up with >10 invites with 1 reject, but a couple of the invites came a week or two after others received theirs.

Just out of curiosity, what exactly those people fatal flaw?
usually it was lack of research on my institution - you say you really want to do a PGY2 in (pediatrics, oncology, transplant, etc) - but our insitution may not have that specific area - it shows you didn't do you homework.

Another potential candidate said she deals with conflict by being passive agressive, then went ahead and gave two examples that were entirely passive aggressive - I don't think she realized it is a bad thing.

One aswered their cell phone in the middle of an interview

Another said their goal in life was to be one of the top 10 most influential healthcare professionals in the world (delusions of grandeur?)

One said they were doing a residency because "they had to" if they wanted to get a ahead in life.

Just because you do a lot of posters and stuff doesn't mean you work well as a team. That is one question I always dig into- "how do you deal with a team member who doesn't hold up their end of the project" I get answers (FYI these are bad answers) from - I went and told on them to the professor, I just did it myself, I did my part then announced during our presentation that so and so failed to complete the rest.

Another one is taking a "that work is tech work" type of view. Thinking they are above doing what they may consider menial tasks. Using the word "they" when referring to these situations is often a red flag.

Not having work experience is big in my mind - a bare minimum of retail experience, and I put hospital experience a huge plus (I worked full time at a hospital when I was in school so I was not big into organizations during pharmacy school - but I was older than most of my class)

Reactions: 1 user
Is it safe to say that most, if not all, of the places where we have not heard back from are either silent rejections or maybe the programs are stringing us along just in case 1-2 people cancel an interview? Anyone have some insight on getting interviews offers this late? Thanks!
I would hope they wouldn't do silent rejections, none of the programs in my area do that. Likely a back up candidate incase people cancel

usually it was lack of research on my institution - you say you really want to do a PGY2 in (pediatrics, oncology, transplant, etc) - but our insitution may not have that specific area - it shows you didn't do you homework.

Another potential candidate said she deals with conflict by being passive agressive, then went ahead and gave two examples that were entirely passive aggressive - I don't think she realized it is a bad thing.

One aswered their cell phone in the middle of an interview

Another said their goal in life was to be one of the top 10 most influential healthcare professionals in the world (delusions of grandeur?)

One said they were doing a residency because "they had to" if they wanted to get a ahead in life.

Just because you do a lot of posters and stuff doesn't mean you work well as a team. That is one question I always dig into- "how do you deal with a team member who doesn't hold up their end of the project" I get answers (FYI these are bad answers) from - I went and told on them to the professor, I just did it myself, I did my part then announced during our presentation that so and so failed to complete the rest.

Another one is taking a "that work is tech work" type of view. Thinking they are above doing what they may consider menial tasks. Using the word "they" when referring to these situations is often a red flag.

Not having work experience is big in my mind - a bare minimum of retail experience, and I put hospital experience a huge plus (I worked full time at a hospital when I was in school so I was not big into organizations during pharmacy school - but I was older than most of my class)

I was wondering which are good answers to the question "how do you deal with a team member who doesn't hold up their end of the project"?

I was wondering which are good answers to the question "how do you deal with a team member who doesn't hold up their end of the project"?

.. you talk with them directly and try to resolve the issue, and if that doesn't work you escalate through appropriate channels. The first thing you do shouldn't be to run to the prof. It should be to talk to the person, then to the group leader/rest of the group, and only as a last resort go to the professor.

And ... (NOT directed at you, I just don't want to make a separate post) there seems to be a disturbing amount of animosity directed at those of us who do a lot and have a high GPA. It's possible to be smart AND driven and do a lot of research and have publications and get top internships ... and at the same time have a personality and people skills. As one poster kindly pointed out, many of us would not have been elected to leadership positions in the first place if we were indeed pariahs without a lick of common sense. I can't help but feel like I posted about a problem that some of my friends and I are having, and in response I get what feels like schadenfreude -- tacit insults via hyperbole about awful interviewees, as if I need to be put in my place or something and reminded I am but a lowly peon lol.

What do you think is a good answer?

One answered their cell phone in the middle of an interview

Thank you for sharing. And wow, I actually thought people by now are supposed to learn not to do these things during an interview.

Regardless of what we as applicants think is the reason we have been rejected, we will never know unless the program tells us this directly. Who is to say something in a person's letter of intent isn't what turned the program off? In my experiences I've noticed that many people tend to fault their good qualities for why they have been rejected in various situations ie "She doesn't like me because I'm so independent", "My coworkers don't include me because I was too friendly" or "They don't want to work with me because I am too smart". People focus so much on all the good they've done they expect others to do the same, and when others don't a person jumps to the conclusion somehow the good qualities are the problem.

Whatever the case is, just be yourself. The true you will always come out anyway, might as well save yourself and they residency program a year if you really are a crazy person. Everything happens for a reason. It might not feel that way right now but I know wherever I end up is where I'm supposed to be.

*The 'you' refers to the general you, not anyone in particular.

.. you talk with them directly and try to resolve the issue, and if that doesn't work you escalate through appropriate channels. The first thing you do shouldn't be to run to the prof. It should be to talk to the person, then to the group leader/rest of the group, and only as a last resort go to the professor.

And ... (NOT directed at you, I just don't want to make a separate post) there seems to be a disturbing amount of animosity directed at those of us who do a lot and have a high GPA. It's possible to be smart AND driven and do a lot of research and have publications and get top internships ... and at the same time have a personality and people skills. As one poster kindly pointed out, many of us would not have been elected to leadership positions in the first place if we were indeed pariahs without a lick of common sense. I can't help but feel like I posted about a problem that some of my friends and I are having, and in response I get what feels like schadenfreude -- tacit insults via hyperbole about awful interviewees, as if I need to be put in my place or something and reminded I am but a lowly peon lol.

I don't think it's animosity towards people who theoretically score high on all objective areas of a score card for residencies. It's more so the fact that having those things as a student doesn't necessarily guarantee a great, or even mediocre resident.

Personality and fit really are huge keys for most programs. I talk about it on my blog now being on the other end of residency interviews and debate over ranking candidates. For the most part, if you interviewed you're qualified. Once we're debating the candidates that we've interviewed we're done analyzing their CVs and pharmacy school accomplishments because we've already decided that all the candidates are good enough for us.

This is when we go through their interview with a fine tooth comb, and as mentioned before having all the accomplishments in the world doesn't necessarily make someone a great interviewee.

The other thing people sometimes overlook with these "awesome candidates" getting turned down from programs that are smaller/less competitive is that their goals on their cover letter or recommendation letters may not be in line with what the residency program has to offer.

Just don't underestimate how important the interview, presentation, and personality are when it comes to selection. Qualifications start to lose their value as the numbers of candidates up for consideration is trimmed.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone hears back from VA Palo Alto , KP San Francisco, San Jose, Santa Rosa,VA Nevada after their screening interview?
I havent heard back from VA Nevada. I'm so tempted to email the resident and ask when they will tell us but I'm controlling it...

Comment deleted

Last edited:
After the interview, they told me they would let me know the decision in the next week aka this week... I'm afraid to email them and ask

I havent heard back from VA Nevada. I'm so tempted to email the resident and ask when they will tell us but I'm controlling it...

exactly - now I will turn the question back on you - (as I do all my students and residents) - what do you think is the correct answer? team work is huge - find out why the person isn't doing their share (could be many issues) - work with them to solve the problem, etc. Never Never Never Never run to the prof - I see that way to much and it will turn me off in a heartbeat. Team work in life is key - you will face this your entire career - one needs to learn how to deal with it

After talking to multiple residents and program directors, it seems that personality sometimes, if not often, trumps over objective data. Programs want residents who will play nice in the sandbox and perhaps not "rock the boat." I'm not so sure I necessarily agree with this mindset.

I could not disagree with you more - sooooo many new grads and students (I precept for one of the top five rated schools in the country - if you believe those rankings - which trust me, have many flaws, come in with this attitude that they know everyting, and you ask them questions and it shows that they have a lot to learn. Ask anyone who has 10+ years of experience how much of their day to day work utilizes knowledge gained in pharamcy school - I am guess around 5%. On the job knowledge gained trumpts what you learn in school and one must realize that if they want to be successfull. An arogant interview (I had one yesterday) will get his CV shredded faster than you can blink an eye.

Just yesterday I can think of things learned on the job vs school.

Combivent 6 puffs q 4 hours
not to do 3 amps of sodium bicarb in NS must be d5W
how to dose levophed in a code- why you can't run it in a peripheral
How do you administer ativan IV
Compatibility of meds in peripheral line vs picc, etc

I would still take a more above average candidate from a school I know and have experience with instead of a "top" candidate from a new school I know nothing about...

Thank you to everyone who has posted about residency interviews invites or rejections.
I applied to all VAs, and I have heard from the following by either phone or email:

VA San Francisco- Amb Care
VA Tennessee Valley Healthcare System (Nashville)
VA Louisville
VA Loma Linda
VA Central Coast (Fresno)
VA Phoenix- Amb Care

I have not heard from:
James H. Quillen VA Medical Center (Mountain Home, TN)
VA Northern California Health Care System- Amb Care (both Martinez and Sacramento programs)

The last two programs are killing me. I know it's most likely a rejection, but I'd like to get it out of my mind. Geez.

The last two programs are killing me. I know it's most likely a rejection, but I'd like to get it out of my mind. Geez.
Same. I still haven't heard from 5 programs, I am assuming they are rejections.

My favorite program said they would let us know within a week or two if we got an interview or not and i still havent heard anything (today was 2 week mark) eeek

huskypharm i have not heard from James H. Quillen VA Medical Center (Mountain Home, TN) either. got the email saying they had my stuff/would hear back in a week or so but haven't heard anything yet