Invitations to Interviews!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congratulations! Do you mind posting your stats??

Also, I heard that if your interview goes well, they will give you a pending acceptance until they receive your OAT scores.

Goooood luck :)
Hey, here are my stats as of right now:
Cum GPA: 4.00
Science GPA: 4.00
I'm currently taking the last two prereqs, hopefully will get As to keep my GPA. But I think my situation is a little different. I have bachelor's and master's from Russian University and since the credit system is not the same, evaluators didnt' include the grades into calculating the overall GPA. So this one is only based on the classes that I've taken so far here which are the prereqs. LOR's are good and I come from the family of opticians, got plenty experience and shadowing in our family optical office not in the United States though.
I'm so excited and nervous at the same time!

Members don't see this ad.

There's two scenarios I can think of, they will either wait until the OAT scores come in or they could offer you an acceptance conditional upon you receiving a certain OAT score. Good luck!
THanks, Solar1s!
I've heard of conditional acceptance with classes yet to finish, but not the OAT scores. OAT seems like a big deal, so I'm not sure if they let you in without it. Do you know that for sure?
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/member.php?u=340492

I'm also interviewing that day!! :) which time did you pick?

Date submitted to OptomCAS: 7/31/2010
Date mailed by OptomCAS: 8/12/2010
Interview Invitation Extended: 9/14/2010 for SCCO
Interview Scheduled: 10/2/2010

Awesome! I picked noon. What time are you? Do you know how many people SCCO interviews in a day?

Members don't see this ad :)
THanks, Solar1s!
I've heard of conditional acceptance with classes yet to finish, but not the OAT scores. OAT seems like a big deal, so I'm not sure if they let you in without it. Do you know that for sure?

Not 100% sure but the acceptance would be conditional on OAT scores. I know that's rare, but so is getting an interview invite without OATs and since you have a perfect GPA I can see how some schools could assume that you will receive a satisfactory OAT score at the very least.

Date submitted to OptomCAS: 7/15/2010
Date mailed by OptomCAS: 8/19/2010
Interview Invitation Extended: 9/14/2010 for SCCO
Interview Scheduled: 10/2/2010

See you there Day20 and Eyebelieve! My interview's at 8am.

Mines the 8am. no idea how many they interview a day

iuSo

anyone else get interviews there? they are my top choice, but they don't start interviewing till october.

Last edited:
Has anyone filled out the secondary application for NOVA yet? Have they started interviewing anyone yet?

Has anyone filled out the secondary application for NOVA yet? Have they started interviewing anyone yet?

I submitted my secondary application last Monday and received an interview invitation the next day. I have my interview scheduled for october 1. So I'm sure you'll hear from them soon.

Nova HAS started interviewing and they have even started accepting people.

How important are the secondary application essays you think? If you've received an invitation a day after submitting your application, do you think they actually read all the essays?

How important are the secondary application essays you think? If you've received an invitation a day after submitting your application, do you think they actually read all the essays?

They are more important for your interview round. From what I've seen, interviews are for the most part granted based on numbers and weights. Essays are weighed more during the interview as that is what they will read before talking to you

Does anyone know whether the interview at SCO is open file?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
So if I have an interview at UIWSO in October, and they accept me (hopefully), but I am also waiting on other schools to get back to me with interviews/acceptances...how long do I have to accept UIWSO? Is there a specific date for each school to accept their program after they accept you or can we wait till we hear back from all the schools/have all our interviews, and then decide...

Has anyone heard back from SCO? (Those who have already interviewed) I was told I would hear from them the following Wednesday or Thursday after my Friday interview. The call would come with either an acceptance or "being placed on hold", but there WOULD be a call regardless. I interviewed the 17th so should have heard 22-23rd. I know I'm anxious, but just seeing if anyone else has. Also, for those who went through the cycle last year, should I call them after this coming week if I still don't hear anything? Or is calling schools a major no?

I heard back pretty quickly from SCO, but I would say give them at least another week. I'm sure they'll get back to you.

Date submitted to OptomCAS: 8/25/2010
Date accepted by college: 9/3/2010
Interview Invitation Extended: NECO (9/8/2010)
Interview Scheduled: TBA
Solar1s and CN2: did you two receive an e-mail or letter in the mail from NECO?
Also, what are your stats if you don't mind my asking? Thanks :)

hi guys, i got an interview to SCO and NOVA so far
I submitted secondary to SCO on 9/20 and NOVA on 9/27
I heard back from both of them today
I just heard so I will be scheduling my actual interview dates tomorrow

my stats are:
cumulative GPA: 3.44
science GPA: 3.52
OAT AA: 360 TS: 360

hey lilipad312,
I scheduled it for Oct 15, but I think im gonna try to move it to a later date, because I wanna hear back from my top schools first and it's pretty far for me ( i live in PA)

I also just scheduled an interview for SCO for nov 5th which i'm really excited about.

anyone have any feedback about SCO's interview?

whoo!

Date submitted to OptomCAS: 9/21/2010
Date mailed by OptomCAS: 9/28/2010
Date received by college: 9/30/2010
Interview Invitation Extended: 9/30/2010 for SCCO (basically they emailed me within a few hours of me paying the supp app fee)!
Interview Scheduled: 11/13/2010

Some Stats:
OAT AA 370, TS 400
OptomCAS Undergrad GPA 3.43, Post Bac 4.0
50 hours shadowing w/ mostly 1 OD

I am going to submit my application this next week and was wondering if anyone with a GPA around a 3.0 and OAT scores around 310-300's have recieved interview invites this early?

I am going to submit my application this next week and was wondering if anyone with a GPA around a 3.0 and OAT scores around 310-300's have recieved interview invites this early?

I was invited for an interview at PCO (scheduled for next month) w/ similar stats as you and that was before i took the OAT a second time.

hey lilipad312,
I scheduled it for Oct 15, but I think im gonna try to move it to a later date, because I wanna hear back from my top schools first and it's pretty far for me ( i live in PA)

I also just scheduled an interview for SCO for nov 5th which i'm really excited about.

anyone have any feedback about SCO's interview?

I had my interview with SCO on 9/17. Everyone is suuuper nice.. you'll have students come up to the 11th floor and introduced themselves and talk to all the applicants. The interview itself wasn't as laidback and conversational as most say, but then again I also lost my voice the day of my interview sooo maybe my interviewer was being nice and just asking the required. For a single building though, you do A LOT of walking! Heels are awful for that long haha. Good luck! PM me if you have any other questions.

Date submitted to OptomCAS: 9/16/2010
Date mailed by OptomCAS: 9/30/2010
Interview Invitation Extended: 10/1/2010 for SCCO

Wow, SCCO was super quick!
I am so excited. Yay~

Date submitted to OptomCAS: 9/16/2010
Date mailed by OptomCAS: 9/30/2010
Interview Invitation Extended: 10/1/2010 for SCCO

Wow, SCCO was super quick!
I am so excited. Yay~

hi kkice! what time are you interviewing? I'm in at 8am the same day.

Date submitted optomcas: 9/21/10
date invited: SCCO= 9/30/10, IUSO: 10/5, ICO: 10/13, SUNY: 10/7, Western: 10/13
supplemental: not submitted
date of interview: SCCO 11/13, IUSO 12/3, ICO: 11/8, Western: 10/22, SUNY: need to schedule

so IUSO says they are not doing formal interviews this year, they are doing "mandatory admission information days" which attendance is required for admission. Brian Page says the app gives them all the info they need about prospective students, but the admission info day is for us to find out more about the school. Does anyone have any more information about this?

haha sorry iiis, it's supposed to be Indiana University School of Optometry, I made a type-o

Last edited:
I just got a interview invite to UIWSO on the 15th, anybody else going on that day???? just curious as to how many students will be there

poli, may I ask you what your stats were?

I got accepted the next business day following my interview, got a 3000.00 dollar scholarship and I'm still not going there, cause plane and simply the school sucks and looks like a damn jail.

I got accepted the next business day following my interview, got a 3000.00 dollar scholarship and I'm still not going there, cause plane and simply the school sucks and looks like a damn jail.

what school are u talking about?

nc2tarheels - GPA is 3.3 OATS - AA 320 TS 350

lilipad312 - congrats lilipad312, and good luck with the interview I'm sure we will all do well. Do you know if it is a open or closed interview?

HunOpt - If your not planning to go there why did you go to the interview??
(I'm assuming ur talkn about UIW)

Does anyone know how long it takes SUNY to get back to you about a decision after the interview?

Thanks

Just curious, for those of you have submitted your app and gotten interviews, did OptomCAS wait until you had all of your LOR's submitted before they mailed them to the schools? i currently have three LOR's in optomCAS, one is a prof, one is an optometrist, and one is a personal reference. How does OptomCAS know how many letters are required by the different schools, for example some schools only require 1 prof and one optometrist, etc, as opposed to some schools requiring two profs. So basically my question is whether or not I can receive an interview from a school even if i have not yet submitted ALL of the required LOR's yet??? Any help would be appreciated!

From my general knowledge, OptomCas will send your application if everything else is complete, and update schools as more LORs are submitted. It doesn't know what each school's requirements are and so just sends everything. A school will hold off sending an interview if they don't get enough LORs to satisfy their requirement. Does that make sense? Short answer- yes you can get interviews as long you fulfill all LORs and application requirements for each school.

From my general knowledge, OptomCas will send your application if everything else is complete, and update schools as more LORs are submitted. It doesn't know what each school's requirements are and so just sends everything. A school will hold off sending an interview if they don't get enough LORs to satisfy their requirement. Does that make sense? Short answer- yes you can get interviews as long you fulfill all LORs and application requirements for each school.

ok, that makes sense, thanks!! But is there absolutely no possible way of getting an interview if the school has not received all LOR's, for example if just one is missing? I'm just worried bc one of my profs is being very slow and holding up the process when everything else i have finished months ago :(

ok, that makes sense, thanks!! But is there absolutely no possible way of getting an interview if the school has not received all LOR's, for example if just one is missing? I'm just worried bc one of my profs is being very slow and holding up the process when everything else i have finished months ago :(

It depends on the school, SCCO gave me an interview w/o a LOR and so did Indiana.

Date submitted optomcas: 10/01/10
Date sent to schools: 10/07/10
date invited: SCCO: 10/08/10, IUSO: 10/12/10, PCO: 10/14/10
date of interview: SCCO 12/11/10, IUSO 11/12/10, PCO 11/10/10

I'm worried Dec. 11th is too late for SCCO..but there were no other Sat. interviews except 11/13/10

Last edited:
Date submitted optomcas: 10/01/10
Date sent to schools: 10/07/10
date invited: SCCO= 10/08/10, IUSO: 10/12/10
date of interview: SCCO 12/11/10, IUSO 11/12/10

I'm worried Dec. 11th is too late for SCCO..but there were no other Sat. interviews except 11/13/10

SCCO was still filling seats in February last year. you're fine

Date submitted optomcas: 10/04/10
Date sent to schools: 10/14/10
date invited: SCCO: 10/15/10
date of interview: SCCO 11/15/10

getting nervous already!

Got invited to interview with UIWSO. My first interview I hope it goes well I was surprised how quickly they got back with me. It was like within a week of submitting my application. Going to interview on the 22nd of October. Just out of curiosity is anyone else going to be Interviewing that day.

Last edited: