Is it appropriate to copy-paste abstracts/intros from papers I am an author on for the research experiences essay on AMCAS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

and 99 others

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Basically the title. I know we are supposed to list our pubs and posters on AMCAS and whatnot but I can't think of a more accurate/comprehensive/easy way to write about these experiences.

Members don't see this ad.

I’m not sure about the most “easy” way to write this essay, but I’ve been told by mentors that it should be less technical and more about what you did and why, what you learned, and what you experienced. Abstracts don’t necessarily demonstrate ownership of projects since abstracts are not written as personal narratives. I’m not sure abstracts would help committees learn about how you think and have grown as a scientist. This is just my opinion, if you think it’s your best bet then go for it.

I’m not sure about the most “easy” way to write this essay, but I’ve been told by mentors that it should be less technical and more about what you did and why, what you learned, and what you experienced. Abstracts don’t necessarily demonstrate ownership of projects since abstracts are not written as personal narratives. I’m not sure abstracts would help committees learn about how you think and have grown as a scientist. This is just my opinion, if you think it’s your best bet then go for it.
Yeah I figured I would remove all the super technical bits and then add more details about my own involvement. But would it look bad to have some sentences that are word for word from the manuscript?

Members don't see this ad :)
Write about what you did for the project,
Yeah I figured I would remove all the super technical bits and then add more details about my own involvement. But would it look bad to have some sentences that are word for word from the manuscript?

Why can't you summarize it? Seems easier and safer. You also don't get that many characters

I mean it's 10,000 characters. That's quite a lot

Most people use the activities section to list citations, you can mention the manuscripts in the MD/PhD research essay but I wouldn't dedicate more than a sentence or two to them nor would I recommend using all 10k characters.