Is it overkill to send a letter of intent directly to the dean of admissions and to the update portal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scaredcurved

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’ve made a letter with significant updates as well as stating that I would withdraw from a school w/ scholarships to attend their school, and want to send it over.

I’ve been having a back and forth through emails with the dean over the past few months where they’ve been advising me through the cycle and was wondering if it’d be wise to send it to both places. I want the dean to see it personally because of all the help they’ve given me so was wondering if it’s a good idea.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I’ve made a letter with significant updates as well as stating that I would withdraw from a school w/ scholarships to attend their school, and want to send it over.

I’ve been having a back and forth through emails with the dean over the past few months where they’ve been advising me through the cycle and was wondering if it’d be wise to send it to both places. I want the dean to see it personally because of all the help they’ve given me so was wondering if it’s a good idea.

Thanks!
When i saw the title I thought it was overkill, but your description makes it a sensible choice imo

Reactions: 1 user
When i saw the title I thought it was overkill, but your description makes it a sensible choice imo
This^^^^^.

TBH, if you've been having e-mail communications with the dean throughout the cycle, and they've been giving you advice, this seems like a natural extension that you wouldn't need to run by the SDN cognoscenti. OTOH, that level of engagement with the dean raises the question of why you haven't already received an A, and whether such a letter would either be totally unnecessary or totally ineffective.

Either way, it's difficult to see how it would hurt, so you might as well go for it. Good luck!!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This^^^^^.

TBH, if you've been having e-mail communications with the dean throughout the cycle, and they've been giving you advice, this seems like a natural extension that you wouldn't need to run by the SDN cognoscenti. OTOH, that level of engagement with the dean raises the question of why you haven't already received an A, and whether such a letter would either be totally unnecessary or totally ineffective.

Either way, it's difficult to see how it would hurt, so you might as well go for it. Good luck!!

It’s a school w heavy waitlist and prolonged vet slow app cycle, that’s what they told us after our interviews

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 users
I did this at multiple schools- by this point in the cycle, there's not really much to lose by trying everything you can.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

It’s a school w heavy waitlist and prolonged vet slow app cycle, that’s what they told us after our interviews
I get it. I guess what I meant was, with the dean taking a personal interest in you, it would be a natural extension for you to direct your LOI directly to him or her. In addition, since that personal attention hasn't already resulted in an A, either they are already looking out for you and it's not necessary, OR, even with them looking out for you, an A is not in the cards.

You honestly have no way to know, and, of course you want to do everything possible, so there really is no reason not to send the letter, whether or not it is necessary, and whether or not it will help. Good luck!

When did you contact the office recently?
I sent a letter first week of Jan and I believe their waitlist will be made in 2 weeks with last regular decisions this week. I already sent the letter last night tho bc I wanted to get it in before they start the decision making process for waitlist. Got advice from someone who used to be on adcom that it wouldn’t be too much contact if I waited -6ish weeks