is it really worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Pharm is not dead. Just transitioning. They will have more say over drug delivery and will have more knowledge to help patients out. For better or for worse, they will have more power and more training. You wouldn't catch me in Pharm school right now....so boring. But I wouldn't have done dentistry 30 years ago.....

From what I have seen/heard, computers might take over the role of a pharmacist. Now, not the ones involved in research and advanced procedures. Computers can check for drug interaction, and even dispense the medication. The pharmacist I work with has a PDA and uses it very often to find drug interactions. My stance on this issue is that having a "human" pharmacist is psychological back-up to a customer and if they have any further questions they can directly refer to pharmacist than going through the hassle of contacting their doctor. Any person would prefer a person rather than picking up their medication from vending machine.

I might be wrong, but it is what I think at this point. During my work at pharmacy, I was told they rarely get a case of drug interaction or had to call on the doctor to change his/her mistake. My argument is solely based on workings of corporate pharmacies. No doubt a pharmacist has immense amount of knowledge, but that knowledge/skill could be substituted.

Members don't see this ad.