Is it true that VCU tends to reject 35+ MCAT scorers?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I've frequently heard of very good applicants (GPA 3.8, MCAT 35 +) getting rejected by their in-state schools who want to reject them before the applicant rejects the school for a better offer. Is this true of VCU? I want to apply there in the future and I actually really want to get in…but I'm scared they'll reject me based on my stats even before I get a chance to explain my desire to attend their school :( Any input?
Schools (because of limited resources) can only afford to interview enough applicants in any stratum according to their yield in that group. Most schools have enough high stat applicants to fill every interview slot. Depending on historical yield in these groups an algorithm dictates the number of these applicants interviewed.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It's possible, but that doesn't mean 35+ MCATs don't get accepted to VCU. You just have to make a compelling case for why you want to attend there over other schools that may accept you.

I've frequently heard of very good applicants (GPA 3.8, MCAT 35 +) getting rejected by their in-state schools who want to reject them before the applicant rejects the school for a better offer. Is this true of VCU? I want to apply there in the future and I actually really want to get in…but I'm scared they'll reject me based on my stats even before I get a chance to explain my desire to attend their school :( Any input?

In general, AdComm members here recommend that you apply to schools whose median stats are close to your own. Many medical schools do reject high stat applicants. I don't know about VCU in particular.

In general, AdComm members here recommend that you apply to schools whose median stats are close to your own. Many medical schools do reject high stat applicants. I don't know about VCU in particular.

In that case, what can one do to maximize their chances at a lower ranked school despite having high stats?

It's possible, but that doesn't mean 35+ MCATs don't get accepted to VCU. You just have to make a compelling case for why you want to attend there over other schools that may accept you.

Do you have any suggestions as to what a compelling case would be?

In that case, what can one do to maximize their chances at a lower ranked school despite having high stats?

Write convincing secondary essays about your ties to the school?

Reactions: 6 users

if you want it really bad, talk about it in your PS

In fact, all MD schools reject high stat applicants. For example, if your historical yield of 35+ applicants is 1%, how many weeks of useless interviewing are you willing to do to fill a class? I'm not saying VCU's yield is 1% btw!

Members don't see this ad :)
How could I know that? You might from some, but you might not for others.

Lol okay I was just wondering if most medical schools were giving out secondaries more easily nowadays

In fact, all MD schools reject high stat applicants. For example, if your historical yield of 35+ applicants is 1%, how many weeks of useless interviewing are you willing to do to fill a class? I'm not saying VCU's yield is 1% btw!

I'm a little confused…what exactly do you mean by historical yield?

I'm a little confused…what exactly do you mean by historical yield?
We know how many interviews we have to offer to matriculate x number of students in each numerical stratum. If you have to interview 100 people with a 35 MCAT to matriculate 1 student and can interview 50 people with 34 a MCAT to yield 5 people, you get much more bang for your resources to focus on the higher yield group (lower MCAT). These yields vary dramatically by school.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is ridiculous. Someone with high stats worried that they will be rejected from "low tier schools"

Just show interest and you are fine wherever.

This is ridiculous. Someone with high stats worried that they will be rejected from "low tier schools"

Just show interest and you are fine wherever.
Not exactly. Fit matters. Both in stats and everything else.

Reactions: 1 user

I agree with everything said above. For your specific case, I will say that I was invited to interview at VCU and had a 35+ MCAT. Show interest in the secondary and you'll be fine (Though obviously there aren't any guarantees here).

I agree with everything said above. For your specific case, I will say that I was invited to interview at VCU and had a 35+ MCAT. Show interest in the secondary and you'll be fine (Though obviously there aren't any guarantees here).
Some factors increase yield in each of the strata. State of residence tends to be the strongest. If you interviewed and did not matriculate (or if you did!), you became part of the predictive model for next year's class.

Some factors increase yield in each of the strata. State of residence is the strongest. If you interviewed and did not matriculate (or if you did!), you became part of the predictive model for next year's class.

so if you received an interview from a school and were low waitlisted can you expect another interview if you are complete much earlier in the cycle and improve application writing?

it'd be kinda funny if some schools take my high mcat and average gpa more seriously than someone with both a high mcat and gpa

We know how many interviews we have to offer to matriculate x number of students in each numerical stratum. If you have interview 100 people with 35 MCAT's to matriculate 1 student and can interview 50 people with 34 MCAT's to yield 5 people, you get much more bang for your resources to focus on the higher yield group (lower MCAT). These yields vary dramatically by school.
Is this all done at the pre-ii stage? Or does this also occur post-interview?

so if you received an interview from a school and were low waitlisted can you expect another interview if you are complete much earlier in the cycle and improve application writing?
No. Depending on the school they may decide not to use an interview slot on you this time.

Is this all done at the pre-ii stage? Or does this also occur post-interview?
Interview slots are expensive. This is calculated pre interview. The outcomes from previous years are used to estimate the algorithm for subsequent years.

Interview slots are expensive. This is calculated pre interview. The outcomes from previous years are used to estimate the algorithm for subsequent years.
Thanks, that was what I figured but good to get confirmation.

We know how many interviews we have to offer to matriculate x number of students in each numerical stratum. If you haveto interview 100 people with 35 MCAT's to matriculate 1 student and can interview 50 people with 34 MCAT's to yield 5 people, you get much more bang for your resources to focus on the higher yield group (lower MCAT). These yields vary dramatically by school.

what are the general boundaries for each stratum?

what are the general boundaries for each stratum?
If you are a school with enough resources to interview 500 people and the dean wants a median MCAT of 35, your algorithm will be quite different from a mission based school that wants to fill the class with like-minded individuals that can break 200 on Step 1. The algorithm varies dramatically by school. That's why you have to look for numerical fit as well as mission fit.

Write convincing secondary essays about your ties to the school?

The thing about this, though, is that many schools don't have secondary essays and many more are asking specific questions that don't give you the option to explain your specific interest in the school.

The thing about this, though, is that many schools don't have secondary essays and many more are asking specific questions that don't give you the option to explain your specific interest in the school.
I've never found this type of essay useful. None of the answers, however heartfelt, are predictive.

That's why I'm thankful for early decision... Even though most of you all despise it (from what I've seen). If you want to show them you mean business with a high GPA and MCAT, then consider early decision.

I've never found this type of essay useful. None of the answers, however heartfelt are predictive.
Do you see much of a use for secondaries beyond making people pay to weed down the number of applicants to review? It seems like some schools are moving to an optional only essay, and Mayo iirc just makes you pay a fee, nothing more.

That's why I'm thankful for early decision... Even though most of you all despise it (from what I've seen). If you want to show them you mean business with a high GPA and MCAT, then consider early decision.
Imo unless you have some strong ties to that school (IS tuition, close family/w.e), I think early decision can really make you miss out on schools you may enjoy much more. Personally I know that there were some schools that I interviewed at that I thought I wouldn't like too much but ended up loving and similarly, some great on paper schools that I was less than impressed with after visiting. Also I didn't know exactly what I wanted out of a school until I was able to visit a few different ones to see what I liked vs. disliked and what fit me the best.

I agree with HCHopeful. ED is the best way to show your interest

Do you see much of a use for secondaries beyond making people pay to weed down the number of applicants to review? It seems like some schools are moving to an optional only essay, and Mayo iirc just makes you pay a fee, nothing more.
Most secondaries are pretty useless. Their small added value lies in the fact that even those who pay to have their PS massaged into perfection often write their own answers to secondaries, allowing a small peek into their actual experience and motivations.

I agree with HCHopeful. ED is the best way to show your interest
EDP is only for those willing to put themselves at a significant disadvantage everywhere but one school. That's why it should only be undertaken by those who have been given a strong endorsement of their candidacy by that school.

Imo unless you have some strong ties to that school (IS tuition, close family/w.e), I think early decision can really make you miss out on schools you may enjoy much more. Personally I know that there were some schools that I interviewed at that I thought I wouldn't like too much but ended up loving and similarly, some great on paper schools that I was less than impressed with after visiting. Also I didn't know exactly what I wanted out of a school until I was able to visit a few different ones to see what I liked vs. disliked and what fit me the best.

I can understand that viewpoint. I am a Nerbaska resident who wants to practice in a rural setting, so early decision to UNMC will be my choice if my MCAT score is what I want it to be.

It just seemed as if the OP's feelings were similar to mine in terms of narrow interest. I do believe for most that early decision isn't the best decision.

Are there algorithms for who to interview for residency?

I consider most secondaries to be a tax on the hopelessly naïve.

Most secondaries are pretty useless. Their small added value lies in the fact that even those who pay to have their PS massaged into perfection often write their own answers to secondaries, allowing a small peek into their actual experience and motivations.

Just to inform... VCU's secondary (at least this year and last year) doesn't have a place to answer "Why VCU." The secondary just has one essay that is some sort of moral/ethical dilemma and asks how you would deal with the situation.

Ah the humble brag.

I knew multiple people with >/= 35 MCATs who went to VCU... and this is when MCAT scores were lower and a 35 actually meant something. The lowish average is not because they don't have strong candidates, it is because they also accept people who have borderline stats because they think that those people will make good doctors.

If you are interested, all you need to do is send the dean a quick e-mail that says, "I am very interested in VCU because of X, Y and Z and hope that you guys interview me." It shows intent. If you are really interested, a meeting with the dean would be a nice touch. Now if they don't interview you despite touching base with the dean, you probably have some red flags or deficiencies on your application (like no volunteering, a murder conviction, you know the like)

Ah the humble brag.

I knew multiple people with >/= 35 MCATs who went to VCU... and this is when MCAT scores were lower and a 35 actually meant something. The lowish average is not because they don't have strong candidates, it is because they also accept people who have borderline stats because they think that those people will make good doctors.

If you are interested, all you need to do is send the dean a quick e-mail that says, "I am very interested in VCU because of X, Y and Z and hope that you guys interview me." It shows intent. If you are really interested, a meeting with the dean would be a nice touch. Now if they don't interview you despite touching base with the dean, you probably have some red flags or deficiencies on your application (like no volunteering, a murder conviction, you know the like)
If the dean at VCU accepts cold calls from applicants he/she has a completely different approach to admissions compared to any I know!

Reactions: 2 users
If the dean at VCU accepts cold calls from applicants he/she has a completely different approach to admissions compared to any I know!

I know you've said repeatedly that you believe schools have something approaching outright contempt.

While I'm only one applicant in one cycle, I can say with some degree of certainty that my doing this (direct email to dean just after being put under consideration) almost certainly resulted in two IIs to elite schools and one blazingly fast rejection to a mid-tier school. In sum: you just don't know who's gonna like what.

I know you've said repeatedly that you believe schools have something approaching outright contempt.

While I'm only one applicant in one cycle, I can say with some degree of certainty that my doing this (direct email to dean just after being put under consideration) almost certainly resulted in two IIs to elite schools and one blazingly fast rejection to a mid-tier school. In sum: you just don't know who's gonna like what.
I do not intend to convey contempt nor imply contempt on behalf of others. Rather, with thousands of applicants to every school, the presumption of specialness exhibited by bypassing the usual routes of communication is not often met warmly!

If a particular school wants to receive direct communication from applicants outside the usual route, that is their choice. It's not a common choice. That's why informing oneself is important.

I'm a VCU student and there are tons of classmates that I'm very close with who have MCAT scores > 35 including myself so just chill out.

I can tell you that if you don't have strong LORs, ECs- especially clinical experience then VCU will reject you regardless of your GPA or MCAT score. VCU truly does look for holistic applicants.

How can you know what was responsible for the IIs? Correlation vs causation.

As a Virginia resident, I have visited all of the medical schools in my state and met with admissions staff members for most. VCU's admissions staff is incredibly laid back and transparent. At an open house, one of the main admission committee members, Dr. Whitehurst Cook, even expressed a willingness to sit down with candidates in advance of applying to discuss their applications. I would talk to her.

Edit: In looking for her public email address and the admissions main telephone number, I came across from this straight from VCU's website:

Q: "Can an applicant make an appointment to meet with Dr. Whitehurst-Cook in regards to their application?"

A: "Please call 804-828-9629 and speak with Shenia Tyler to set up an appointment with Dr. Whitehurst-Cook, or to be referred to the other counselors."