Is it true that VCU tends to reject 35+ MCAT scorers?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
As a Virginia resident, I have visited all of the medical schools in my state and met with admissions staff members for most. VCU's admissions staff is incredibly laid back and transparent. At an open house, one of the main admission committee members, Dr. Whitehurst Cook, even expressed a willingness to sit down with candidates in advance of applying to discuss their applications. I would talk to her.

Edit: In looking for her public email address and the admissions main telephone number, I came across from this straight from VCU's website:

Q: "Can an applicant make an appointment to meet with Dr. Whitehurst-Cook in regards to their application?"

A: "Please call 804-828-9629 and speak with Shenia Tyler to set up an appointment with Dr. Whitehurst-Cook, or to be referred to the other counselors."
If she openly requests this communication then of course, go right ahead. Do not however, expect everyone to be willing or able (much less delighted!) to do the same, lest your application be diverted into the snowflake file.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've frequently heard of very good applicants (GPA 3.8, MCAT 35 +) getting rejected by their in-state schools who want to reject them before the applicant rejects the school for a better offer. Is this true of VCU? I want to apply there in the future and I actually really want to get in…but I'm scared they'll reject me based on my stats even before I get a chance to explain my desire to attend their school :( Any input?
VCU? I doubt it. Its not a bad school by any means, but if Johns Hopkins and Wash U would accept 35 MCAT scores then I'm sure VCU would. PLus the GPa is pretty good.

As a Virginia resident, I have visited all of the medical schools in my state and met with admissions staff members for most. VCU's admissions staff is incredibly laid back and transparent. At an open house, one of the main admission committee members, Dr. Whitehurst Cook, even expressed a willingness to sit down with candidates in advance of applying to discuss their applications. I would talk to her.

Edit: In looking for her public email address and the admissions main telephone number, I came across from this straight from VCU's website:

Q: "Can an applicant make an appointment to meet with Dr. Whitehurst-Cook in regards to their application?"

A: "Please call 804-828-9629 and speak with Shenia Tyler to set up an appointment with Dr. Whitehurst-Cook, or to be referred to the other counselors."

Dr. Whitehurst Cook is an exceptional dean. She is one of the most laid back, friendly and amazing deans you will ever meet. As gyngyn mentioned do not expect others to do the same.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
We know how many interviews we have to offer to matriculate x number of students in each numerical stratum. If you have to interview 100 people with 35 MCAT's to matriculate 1 student and can interview 50 people with 34 MCAT's to yield 5 people, you get much more bang for your resources to focus on the higher yield group (lower MCAT). These yields vary dramatically by school.
If this is true, and I have no reason to doubt you, then it seems that a score above 36 or so can actually be a disadvantage to the applicant because it shrinks the pool of realistic school choices and leaves the applicant with a group of schools that are so competitive and unpredictable that his or her high score might not be even help that much.

If this is true, and I have no reason to doubt you, then it seems that a score above 36 or so can actually be a disadvantage to the applicant because it shrinks the pool of realistic school choices and leaves the applicant with a group of schools that are so competitive and unpredictable that his or her high score might not be even help that much.
A strategic application with high scores is just as important. By that I mean, all state schools as well as targeted OOS schools where stats and mission fit. One of the hardest groups to counsel are high stats re-applicants.

Reactions: 1 users
How can you know what was responsible for the IIs? Correlation vs causation.

Tone/tenor of emailed replies and temporal correlation with resulting II/rejection.

Your point is fair, but it was not hard to read between the lines of the emails that I got in response to my emails.

If the dean at VCU accepts cold calls from applicants he/she has a completely different approach to admissions compared to any I know!

Weird it's like I know what I'm talking about... It's almost as if I were a student there at one time in my life. Perhaps you stick to what you know before just guessing and giving bad advice.

Weird it's like I know what I'm talking about... It's almost as if I were a student there at one time in my life. Perhaps you stick to what you know before just guessing and giving bad advice.
Most people here will not apply to VCU. If they use advice that tanks their ap everywhere else we have not adequately informed them.

Reactions: 4 users
Most people here will not apply to VCU. If they use advice that tanks their ap everywhere else we have not adequately informed them.

Right. Because a little e-mail of interest is going to tank your application? Also, note that this thread isn't about applying in general but is specific to VCU.

Regardless, a little interest goes a very, very long way. People like to know they are wanted. Showing interest is a good thing. This will work other places as well. A simple email like, "Dear Dean Bubba, I'm applying to your school University of Backcountry Georgia State Polytechnic College. I was really attracted by X, Y and Z. I'd love to be a student there and if you have the time, I'd love to meet with you in person to discuss what I can do to better my chances of attending UBGSPC"

Absolutely everywhere I have applied, my interest has done the exact opposite of what you are saying (and this goes beyond medical school to residency, fellowship and beyond). And I've ended up in some very respectable places by showing some initiative and some interest.

Absolutely everywhere I have applied, my interest has done the exact opposite of what you are saying (and this goes beyond medical school to residency, fellowship and beyond). And I've ended up in some very respectable places by showing some initiative and some interest.
Regional differences, perhaps?

Could be. Found this in the south, midatlantic, northeast, southwest, midwest... pretty much everywhere except out west (Cali, Washington, Oregon) where I have never applied

I applied last year to VCU OOS with a 35+ >3.8 and was accepted. Coincidentally, I was rejected by my state school and was told by my interviewers that they think it was because the school wanted to protect their yield.

If she openly requests this communication then of course, go right ahead. Do not however, expect everyone to be willing or able (much less delighted!) to do the same, lest your application be diverted into the snowflake file.

I understand. I wouldn't dare to even ask another admissions office and only thought of it because she had openly volunteered it. Thanks for the heads up!

Right. Because a little e-mail of interest is going to tank your application?
At certain schools, yes. When I interviewed at a certain medical school, the Director of Admissions (lets call him Mr. X) went on a short rant about an applicant who called the admissions office and asked to speak with him. When the admissions office said no, the applicant called the director at his personal number. Mr. X said something along the lines of "our website clearly said to email the admissions office at so and so address with questions, and if you can't follow simple instructions, it makes us wonder if you are a good fit for our school." This call was noted in the applicant's file and was discussed when the committee met to make interview decisions. I guess this was Mr. X's pet peeve because while generally seemed like a pretty friendly guy, unsolicited phone calls seemed to wake up his wrathful side.

I would not advise emailing deans/directors indiscriminately. Definitely do your homework on how such emails are received before you think about sending one.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
At certain schools, yes. When I interviewed at a certain medical school, the Director of Admissions (lets call him Mr. X) went on a short rant about an applicant who called the admissions office and asked to speak with the him. When the admissions office said no, the applicant called the director at his personal number. Mr. X said something along the lines of "our website clearly said to email the admissions office at so and so address with questions, and if you can't follow simple instructions, it makes us wonder if you are a good fit for our school." He said that this call was noted in the applicant's file and was discussed when the committee met to make interview decisions. I guess this was Mr. X's pet peeve because while generally seemed like a pretty friendly guy, he was definitely upset about getting unsolicited communications from applicants.

I would not advise emailing deans/directors indiscriminately. Definitely do your homework on how such emails are received before you think about sending one.
I've heard that same refrain from all the admissions deans I know. Clearly, VCU is different.

To follow up, the annoyance that Euxox describes also has another component, that callers who ignore a schools explicit (and simple) instructions may appear to be so entitled as to think that the rules don't apply to them.

So again, there are schools that welcome inquiries, and have particular policies, and there probably more that don't.

It's interesting that this thread has generated a lot of interest and emotion...don't blame my learned colleague gyngyn for stating facts as s/he sees them...gyngyn isn't making the news, just reporting it.

At certain schools, yes. When I interviewed at a certain medical school, the Director of Admissions (lets call him Mr. X) went on a short rant about an applicant who called the admissions office and asked to speak with him. When the admissions office said no, the applicant called the director at his personal number. Mr. X said something along the lines of "our website clearly said to email the admissions office at so and so address with questions, and if you can't follow simple instructions, it makes us wonder if you are a good fit for our school." This call was noted in the applicant's file and was discussed when the committee met to make interview decisions. I guess this was Mr. X's pet peeve because while generally seemed like a pretty friendly guy, unsolicited phone calls seemed to wake up his wrathful side.

Reactions: 1 user