Is it worth it for me to apply to these schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctoscope

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about applying to UCD and SLU, but it looks like only these 2 schools require the AAMC's PREview exam. PREview + Primary + Secondaries come out to like 500 bucks, and if my chances at these schools aren't realistic I'd like to save the money. Should I register for the July PREview or just cross these schools off the list?

Stats: 3.2 cGPA/3.3 sGPA, 3.98 PB GPA over 60 credits, 518 MCAT, 550 hours clinical, 150 non-clinical, 0 research.

No ties to NorCal other than going to college there, so IDK how UC Davis views that.

Also @Goro , it wouldn't be worth it to take PREview just for DMU right?

Members don't see this ad.

I was thinking about applying to UCD and SLU, but it looks like only these 2 schools require the AAMC's PREview exam. PREview + Primary + Secondaries come out to like 500 bucks, and if my chances at these schools aren't realistic I'd like to save the money. Should I register for the July PREview or just cross these schools off the list?

Stats: 3.2 cGPA/3.3 sGPA, 3.98 PB GPA over 60 credits, 518 MCAT, 550 hours clinical, 150 non-clinical, 0 research.

No ties to NorCal other than going to college there, so IDK how UC Davis views that.

Also @Goro , it wouldn't be worth it to take PREview just for DMU right?
Do you have service in the UCD area? How are your service ECs? SLU is a service loving school. It also rewards reinvention.

Preview just for DMU? Not worth it.

Reactions: 1 user
Your money, your application. The odds of getting into any single school are very low, so, using money to decide, it's not worth the ~$150 to apply to any of them!

It's an extra $100, or an extra $50/school. If you are not in love with the schools, cross them off and replace them with others. Otherwise, $100 is a drop in the bucket with respect to what the cycle is going to cost you, so suck it up and move on.

"Realistic" chances at any one school are not really a thing, since most people apply to 20+ schools and receive exactly 0 As. Competitive applicants such as yourself need to apply to 20+ schools just to have a "realistic" chance to end up with 1 or 2 As, and there is no way to know at the beginning where those As will be.

So, throwing a ton of money at this, knowing at the outset that over 60% fail each cycle, is just part of the game. Saving the $100 just might be the difference between being a reapplicant or not, but there is no way to know until the cycle is over.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your money, your application. The odds of getting into any single school are very low, so, using money to decide, it's not worth the ~$150 to apply to any of them!

It's an extra $100, or an extra $50/school. If you are not in love with the schools, cross them off and replace them with others. Otherwise, $100 is a drop in the bucket with respect to what the cycle is going to cost you, so suck it up and move on.

"Realistic" chances at any one school are not really a thing, since most people apply to 20+ schools and receive exactly 0 As. Competitive applicants such as yourself need to apply to 20+ schools just to have a "realistic" chance to end up with 1 or 2 As, and there is no way to know at the beginning where those As will be.

So, throwing a ton of money at this, knowing at the outset that over 60% fail each cycle, is just part of the game. Saving the $100 just might be the difference between being a reapplicant or not, but there is no way to know until the cycle is over.
KnightDoc is right. It’s funny regarding the 3 sole schools that interviewed me; 6 months before applying, I was skeptical of applying to them. Ironically, they were all I got for interviews (and actually better fits for me vs the other dream schools I had) and my sole acceptance.

Reactions: 1 users
Do you have service in the UCD area? How are your service ECs? SLU is a service loving school. It also rewards reinvention.

Preview just for DMU? Not worth it.
Do not apply to Davis if you are from another state.

My family moved to CA for college in 2014, and we're CA residents. Other than that, I have no ties to Davis and have no service there. My 150 hours of volunteering has been over ~2 years since 2020 delivering food donations to underserved communities in SoCal.

I'm leaning towards holding off on applying to UCD/SLU, since I don't seem to really fit their mission (no real ties to Davis area, and not a lot of service done).

My family moved to CA for college in 2014, and we're CA residents. Other than that, I have no ties to Davis and have no service there. My 150 hours of volunteering has been over ~2 years since 2020 delivering food donations to underserved communities in SoCal.

I'm leaning towards holding off on applying to UCD/SLU, since I don't seem to really fit their mission (no real ties to Davis area, and not a lot of service done).
Skip both schools