Is May MCAT too late?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Monkeymaniac

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to take april 23rd test, but I thought that I'd rather take it when I feel more prepared. Would it be too late to take the test on Thursday, May 27
?

I was thinking about completing the primary application during early June, then by the time it gets finished being verified (I heard that it takes about a month), I figured that the May test score would be in just in time. I'd appreciate any inputs :)

Members don't see this ad.

I wanted to take april 23rd test, but I thought that I'd rather take it when I feel more prepared. Would it be too late to take the test on Thursday, May 27
?

I was thinking about completing the primary application during early June, then by the time it gets finished being verified (I heard that it takes about a month), I figured that the May test score would be in just in time. I'd appreciate any inputs :)

May is definitely not too late to be considered "early batch." Besides, it is how fast you can turn around secondaries that matter not when you submit your primary...and you can already find secondary prompts on SDN to get started. (where applicable) Most schools don't do preliminarily review until end of June/early July.

Now, come and join my 5/22 MCAT club =D :laugh:

?

June 17th is the latest that would be fine. Month of may is perfect.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the information guys! Following is the score releasing date for the May exam that I got from AAMC homepage.

Thursday, May 27 -> June 29

So for those of schools that do screen for primaries, if my primary happen to get verified and sent to the schools before the test score is availabe, would those school 1) either reject me based on the fact that I don't have the MCAT score available yet or 2) reject me because they received applications from competitive applicants who already have MCAT score ready (even if their overall stat minus MCAT score is similar to mine)? 3) or is it possible that they would throw my primary application in "not complete" pile to be reviewed some months later, when they are done sending secondaries to competitive applicants, which I think would be disadvantageous for me since there would be less spots left then?

And do you guys have any opinion on 5/22 vs 5/27 exam? GoSpursGo did you take 5/22 (or whichever one that was second to last one in May), because you would have more time to sign up for June exam in cse unforeseen circustances (accident, etc...) happen, or because you felt that that one would be less competitive?

Last edited:
So for those of schools that do screen for primaries, if my primary happen to get verified and sent to the schools before the test score is availabe, would those school 1) either reject me based on the fact that I don't have the MCAT score available yet

They won't reject you, your application just won't be complete yet. When the score comes in, then they'll either decide to process your application and let you do the secondaries or they'll reject you on spot (90% of the time tehy'll let you do the secondary as it's an easy $100 for them).

or 2) reject me because they received applications from competitive applicants who already have MCAT score ready (even if their overall stat minus MCAT score is similar to mine)?

No.

3) or is it possible that they would throw my primary application in "not complete" pile to be reviewed some months later, when they are done sending secondaries to competitive applicants, which I think would be disadvantageous for me since there would be less spots left then?

No, you're paranoid.

And do you guys have any opinion on 5/22 vs 5/27 exam?

Is one of them at noon or later? It's just personal preference as they're too close to make a big difference. Personally, I like later testing times rather than earlier ones as my mind turns on a little later in teh day. If they're both in the afternoon, I'd go with the later one, it gives you some more time to study.

did you take 5/22 (or whichever one that was second to last one in May), because you would have more time to sign up for June exam in cse unforeseen circustances (accident, etc...) happen,

I'm taking the May 1st one because the score will come out on June 1st, which will give me enough time to decide whether or not I need to take the June 17th one.

May 22nd won't do much as the score will come back well after the June 17th one, so May 1st is your only option if you want that. I also plan on studying after the May 1st regardless of how I feel I do, that way I don't lose consistency/forget all the short-term details and random bull**** if you know what I mean.

Mr T, thank you for your comments. While you're at it, would you also kindly explain what's special about the date June 17th? Is this the deadline that MCAT score needs to be sent by to the schools that do screening for primay application?

Mr T, thank you for your comments. While you're at it, would you also kindly explain what's special about the date June 17th? Is this the deadline that MCAT score needs to be sent by to the schools that do screening for primay application?

The deadlines are in late September and October. The reason why you want to take the MCAT by June 17th is because the score will come out on July 17th or so which is plenty early.

It's when you have to wait until august (july test dates) when it becomes problematic. Even July won't kill you but August ones can be tricky.

At the end of the day, I know kids who have taken teh MCAT as late as early September (albeit they did exceptionally well on the MCAT --- a la 38 fo rinstsance), and medical schools clearly favored them as a result.

An early and on time application is but one piece in the puzzle seeing as a lot of schools have rolling decisions. It won't kill you if you screw up and you have to retake the the MCAT again in July or August, but it's not the greatest or worst thing when applying, it's just kinda eh.

At least the benefit with taking the May 1st exam is that by the time the score comes out, it's about 5 days before the AMCAS application opens (the first day that you can apply) so if you get an "OK" score, but not what you wanted, you'll still be able to get your application rollig and getting secondaries very early.