Is mid September too late to apply this year? please share your thought

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

One Piece

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I would like to apply for this year cycle but I believe that it is going to be too late and I will have no chance of

getting started next year.I have my mother and sister visiting me now from overseas . I have not seen them

for so many years and I am not sure If will be able to see them any time soon again . I really want to spend

some good time with them and show them around and make their time here in US worthwhile. They have

been living back in Middle East <Syria> where the situations as all of us know are not quite well.

The things left for me to do are to prepare for the DAT , acquire letters of recommendations and fill out the

application . I really can't study for DAT now since i spent almost most of my time with my family.

Unfortunately, they will be leaving back at the end of June.

Hence, I was thinking of studying and taking the DAT around mid of Sept and submit my application

around that time as well.

Do you think it will be too late to get accepted for next year? Should I instead not rush the DAT and take my

time to study for it and prepare a better application over for next year cycle?

I don't really mind waiting another year but the problem is that I feel like I am getting old , I will be 28 next

year I don't want to be too old to start dentistry (29-30:yawn:)

I am confused and I really hope to hear from you guys and listen to your feedback

Respectfully,

Members don't see this ad.

I guess I am too old to start dentistry according to you, but I've decided to defy the norm and become an outlier.

To answer your question, it would be better for you to wait this one out until next year, skipper...

I guess I am too old to start dentistry according to you, but I've decided to defy the norm and become an outlier.

To answer your question, it would be better for you to wait this one out until next year, skipper...
I am so sorry , I didn't mean to be offensive. thanks again for your advice.
are you applying this year or next year as well?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, One Piece. Mid-September is pretty late, and you might run into some issues. However, you have nothing to lose but money by trying this year. You are smart to not want to rush your DAT studying, and I understand how important it is to spend time with family.

However, I would wait until after you take your DAT to submit your application. If something terrible happens and you don't do so well, you would have an extremely slim shot of getting in with the combination of a late application + not-so-stellar DAT scores. If it goes well, though, then by all means--go for it! That late in the cycle, I would apply to 10-15 schools.

Hi, One Piece. Mid-September is pretty late, and you might run into some issues. However, you have nothing to lose but money by trying this year. You are smart to not want to rush your DAT studying, and I understand how important it is to spend time with family.

However, I would wait until after you take your DAT to submit your application. If something terrible happens and you don't do so well, you would have an extremely slim shot of getting in with the combination of a late application + not-so-stellar DAT scores. If it goes well, though, then by all means--go for it! That late in the cycle, I would apply to 10-15 schools.
Thank you for your feed' it is really appreciative .

if you have perfect GPA, stellar ECs and nail the DAT. Go ahead and apply mid-sept. But if everything is average, I would just wait a year and apply as early as I can. Mid-spet is very late.

if you have perfect GPA, stellar ECs and nail the DAT. Go ahead and apply mid-sept. But if everything is average, I would just wait a year and apply as early as I can. Mid-spet is very late.
thank you for advice. I have 3.45GPA ,